1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is more likely to win a chip first?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Sep 6, 2021.

1. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Sixers or rockets. Put aside all bias. If I'm a GM, I'd rather be the rockets. The way I look at it, now that simmons has requested a trade, the sixers are not getting anything of value for him. They'll be lucky to clear up cap space from the 5th highest paid guard in the national basketball association, under contract for 4 years. Embiid and Harris will keep them in the mix in a very tough eastern conference, but they will be a perennial 5-8th seed with no lottery picks. If they decide to blow it up this year, they would be going against the rockets, who just had the best draft in a long time and have what I believe will be a top 7 center in the league. I'm so happy for morey! Now we just need harden to lose again.

BigShasta, Possum, ashleyem and 2 others like this.
  2. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Rockets. Sixers won’t win with this core and will start a rebuild 5 years behind us

King1, whag00, cheke64 and 2 others like this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

None of our rookies have played in an NBA regular season game yet. Your question is quite premature.

You'd want an established superstar over "potential," and the 76ers have one of the best players in the game right now. With all this Simmons talk, I think people forget that Embiid finished something like 2nd or 3rd in MVP voting. And I think Embiid still has room to improve, because he still defers a lot to his jump shot, when he can just bully people in the post and get anything he wants.

I think a better question would be, "Will the Rockets have a quicker rise back to relevancy than the 76ers did?" and I think that is a resounding yes. Since 2014, the top 10 picks they've had were used on Embiid, Okafor, Simmons, Fultz. They 100% missed by drafting Okafor (could have had Booker) and Fultz (could have had Tatum, Mitchell or Bam). I guess you could say this now, but they missed by drafting Simmons (could have had Ingram or Jaylen Brown).

I don't think it's going to take us long to make our way back into the playoff picture, and it looks like we already have our (hopefully) superstar wing, in Green and solid 5, in Sengun.

tl;dr I don't think it's going to take us 7 years to establish an MVP candidate and make it deep into the playoffs.

Highlyrated, Emtenndo, AXG and 7 others like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To be honest, both teams cry close but no cigar (Rookies panning out).

Darn, the Process didn't work in Philly but you had to give it a shot with Biid and Ben's talent level.

The star ref treatment only benefits MVPs the most.

Philly has to start rebuilding later post Embiid.

5. Jalen Green OnlyFan

I think you are severely underselling jalen green. He is a rising super star.

Here’s the way to look at it: sixers fall short next few years, green develops and we get Chet or Paolo etc, then we use nets assets in trade to make a big 3.

Stone is better than morey

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

As long as the 76ers have Embiid they can win a championship. We don’t know if we have one of those guys yet. Easy bet is on the 76ers at this point. That said, I’d rather have our roster and see what happens. There’s a lot of fun in potential.

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Is this a serious question? The team with the best record in the East in comparison with the worst in the NBA?

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

I get that you're a Green fan, but let's not count our eggs before they hatch. Don't mistake every perceived slight as saying Green is bad. I even called him our "(hopefully) superstar wing." Regardless, he hasn't played an NBA regular season game yet. Regardless of your fandom, it's a bit of a stretch to say the worst team in the league is going to be a championship team sooner than a team with one of the best players in the league.

Also not sure how one can say Stone is definitively better than Morey when Morey never had to pick in the top 3, 5 or even top 10...because his team was never bad enough to. You're also basing it off Stone's first draft, which is like, the most kneejerk thing ever.

9. Jalen Green OnlyFan

And who’s fault is that? Morey quit and refused to rebuild here. Stone understands the game more.

Morey will rebuild on the east coast while jalen shows you what I’ve been seeing for years: superstardom

10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

How is this even a question. Clearly sixers bc they have a potential top 5 player.

11. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Until you realize sixers are screwed and will not win with their current team.

they will be tanking again in a few years

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Then ask the question in a few years

13. Jalen Green OnlyFan

You aren’t capable of thinking a few steps ahead?

Philly is going to tread water and then rebuild. Meanwhile, Stone has us flush with assets on a great timeline.

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Why not lump Dallas, Indiana, and the rest of the purgatory teams in there?

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

16. fattz

fattz Member

Random thought.
    Something/one happened to the 76ers because Ben used to be a unicorn, next generation player now he gum under a shoe. Hear me out. Westbrook was the closest thing to Oscar Robinson mr. triple double average to gum under a shoe. Chris Paul goes from point god to gum under a shoe. ALL lost trade value under one person’s watch. The former Rockets have regained their value plus some; I hope Ben can, too.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Embiid is on borrowed time, but the Sixers are in the East and he’s a superstar/MVP caliber player so maybe they sneak into the finals with Embiid one year like Milwaukee just did with Giannis and get lucky

meanwhile, the Rockets haven’t been to a finals since 1995…that’s almost 30 years

Steve Francis never did sh*t…T-Mac was a 2nd round virgin…Yao only got past the 1st round once…Harden made 2 WCF in 8 years…making the finals, let alone winning it all, is easier said than done

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Why are you being a dick? I'm only answering the question OP presented. "Who is likely to win a championship first?" The Sixers are still light years ahead at this very moment.

19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah but Embiid will eventually end up a Rocket soon, I don't know how... I don't know when, but for some strange reason I have this hunch Embiid will at some point be a Rocket.... Its weird....

20. Jalen Green OnlyFan

That’s not what I’m about man.

I just really believe in Jalen Green with Stone and Silas.

I think the sixers already blew it and are descending. Rockets are going to keep ascending bro. Jalen + KPJ or Ja