1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is getting that 8th Seed in the West?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocketsmanhk, Aug 4, 2020.

?

Who is getting that 8th Seed in the West?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2020.
  1. Memphis

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. Portland

25 vote(s)
    53.2%
  3. San Antonio

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  4. New Orleans

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. Sacramento

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Phoenix

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Everyone dealt with the same problem. And there’s a reason why they put the 4 game rule into effect. If the season never paused they would have had even less of a shot at it w/o the 4 game rule. If the spurs weren’t so far back they’d put them selves in a better position. The suns just went 8-0. Had the spurs done the same and taken care of business they would be in the play in. That’s their problem.

It isn’t inaccurate. Everyone got their shot with 8 games to do what you had to do.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wow haha.

#62 daywalker02, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

Sorry but this play-in thing is just not well thought out. Any of the following options makes way more sense, is much more exciting and would've given whichever teams are involved a fairer shot:

1) 3-game series between the 8th and 9th seed - especially now that records are tied - so both have to win 2.
    2) 4 team tournament. 1 game. Winners play each other for the 8th seed.
    3) Have the 9th and 10th seed play against each other. Winner takes on the 8th seed.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I really wanted PHX to get in bc they went 8-0. They really deserved to be in this... still, the rest of the season mattered, and props to MEM and POR. POR for sure should be in bc they are much better than their record shows. Lillard has gone ape **** crazy the past 3 games. Props. MEM backed in, but I hope Ja Morant can put on a show in a game (or 2) that really matters most. We will see!

Some other takeaways:
    1. The Nets have a lot of fun, scrappy players. When Durant and Kyrie come back next year they have a good chance to compete for the title. Caris Levert is such a fun player to watch.
    2. The NBA bubble is the best thing for the league in a long, long time. The games have been awesome, the format is awesome, and sure there was some tanking for seeding positions but overall it's been high scoring, scrappy, intense, crazy, and it looks damn good on television. It's also great that some teams used this opportunity to get young, talented players some major minutes. Michael Porter Jr. looks like a perennial all-star.
    3. I think POR clobbers MEM in the play-in, but if MEM can hustle and bustle their way to a win in game 1 it sets up an epic game 2 PLAY-IN! Technically it's not even the playoffs, but with some of the games POR plays it could get really interesting.
    4. This is more of a question, but are the Suns a real threat going into next year? Not to win it all, but to be a solid playoff team... I'm still skeptical. Booker is amazing, but their defensive numbers skyrocketed inside the bubble. I'm curious as to what provoked this aside from a back-against-the-wall mentality. Still... fantastic showing, and I can't help but think this could be a seminal moment for them going forward.

DeBeards likes this.
  5. STR8Thugg

I don't disagree. There are ways to improve, but you can't possibly have the take that yesterday wasn't interesting AF. Like I said in my last post I think PHX really deserved a shot, but I can't be mad in general. It was money TV yesterday. The bubble has been an overwhelming success.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. STR8Thugg

To be fair, the 4 game difference only applies if you finish 9th. I do tend to agree that a 4 team play in might have been better, but I'm not going to b**** and moan about it.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

It surely was, just happy Portland is in since they have the best shot to give the Lakers fits, but with the whole 4 team business to only then have 2 teams play and especially now with a tie one team just has to win once and the other twice?! Come on, makes no sense, and cannot believe teams agreed to this. If would've been just as exciting for scenario 1. Scenario 3 a bit less and for scenario 2 just the position for the tournament so a lot less. Still, the option they went with sucks donkey dick.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

IMO it's already a decent concept.

When they put forward this idea, they firmly believed Memphis would take 8th and one of the others preferably Pelicans and Zion would take 9th seed.

They were wrong and Memphis was lucky to make the Play In.

They can't really predict that Phoenix and Spurs would be playing so well.

They sucked arse all season.

Thus it wouldnt make sense to change the format again when they had their hands full with executing protocols in order to keep everyone safe.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

It was meant to give everyone below 8th a shot. It served its purpose. Highly doubt they expected it end up how it did. Especially when the east bottom is so bad that they couldn’t even qualify for a play in haha

This play in turned out to be a great idea in the end. Something I anticipate the nba building off of in some way.

#69 YOLO, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    JayGoogle and Lovemachine2000 like this.
  10. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I would really like to see relegation, like they have in soccer. You could play a 43 game season where everyone plays their conference twice and the other conference once. This results in two tiers. The bubble teams would then have a tournament to fight for the bottom two or 4 spots in the top tier. They all play in the same building like now. You could still call it the bubble.

Then you have a 30 game season where you play everyone in the top tier twice. Maybe play another 9 seeding games before the playoffs to get to 82 games. The bottom tier can go f off and tank for draft picks.

I would really like to have relegation into a different league, but I don't see that happening. It would be great if smaller cities could see their teams play in the NBA for half a season. It would also be great to see New York relegated to the D-league.