1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who had the most impact on Houston sports teams?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pocketrocket81, Jan 18, 2013.

1. pocketrocket81

I am pretty sure Olajuwon will be dominant in most peoples minds as having the most impact on Houston sports considering he won two championships and was one of the greatest basketball players of all time. But after Olajuwon you get into an abundance of great players in Houston sports history that didn't win a championship in Houston but still had a major impact on their respective sport. I have been a Houston sports fan since the early 70s and I remember such greats as Moses Malone, Earl Campbell, Nolan Ryan and Warren Moon just to name a few.
    So ,who would your choices be for the biggest impact in Houston sports whether it is basketball,football or baseball? Also, I find myself hoping and dreaming of being one of those cities that see their teams win the championships in baseball ,football and basketball all in the same year. I can only hope for that to happen considering how the Astros are doing atm. So my question is concerning championships which team is it more important for you to see win a championship? My order is #1 Texans #2 Astros #3 Rockets...only reason Rockets are last is they have 2 championships already.

1 person likes this.
  2. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

David Carr?

3. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

That's actually a great question! It's one I've actually thought about and discussed with friends before!

The Rockets are my favorite of the 3. I just LOVE the game of basketball! So I would love for them to add a third banner to the rafters and secure their spot as a better franchise in the NBA.. But that said, it's pretty sad how this football city has never won a superbowl.

So when I consider it, I'd go with the Texans. I feel they need more respect than the Rockets do, simply because of how bad they were for a decade.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First off, I found your statement hard to understand. Try using spaces next time please.

Very rarely do sports fans have equal footing in Baseball, Basketball, and Football. So a championship with the Rockets would be more important to the Basketball fan, Superbowl with a Football fan will mean more to them, etc. etc. The fact that mention the Texans as #1 probably tells me that your favorite sport right now is football.

To the overall city in a historic sense, its probably going to mean more over time in the history books if one team is a dominant force in their one particular sport.

So since the Astros have zero titles, the Texans have zero titles, and the Rockets have 2... I would say its the Rockets that could carve their place in sports history the easiest with a few more title runs.

Even so, few Houston teams are anywhere close to competing in the history books with the likes of other historic franchises like the Yankees, Lakers, etc.

5. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I have Warren Moon right up there with Earl and Nolan on my list.

6. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Crap. Reread your post. Texans. The Superbowl is the most important/prestigious event in probably all of entertainment in the US these days.

7. alethios

alethios Member

Gordie Howe?

8. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

Bud Adams. negative impact that is

9. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

"Most impact" I hate to say was probably Yao. He put the Rockets on the global map. That said he is not the most celebrated local sports hero for obvious reasons.

I would like to see the Texans win a SB more than anything else. Football ranks supreme. The Texans are the favorite of our 3 teams to reach the ultimate goal. Then my personal preference would be an NBA championship, then MLB.

10. norcalhussla

norcalhussla Member

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I would say Olajuwon. He is the only sports athlete to bring not one but two meaningful championships to H-Town. If we are talking about non-athletes, I would say Bob McNair for bringing a Super Bowl and football back into town.