1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Who Gave BOB A New Playbook?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by solid, Oct 1, 2017.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

I saw plays today I have never seen OBrien run. What happened to the same ole predictable boring game plan? For the first time, I couldn't call each play before it happened. Was someone named the new offensive coordinator and I missed it? It was like watching a different team. And, and, red zone impotence disappeared. Just amazing.

2. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

3. conquistador#11

we ran zone, boot legs, play actions, fake reverse tosses. I love zone. It can make a crap offensive line players play well as a whole. Never liked the switch to 'the power run'. When the defense was softened, B.O.B threw in some 2010 uggs just for his own amusement. It was beautiful. The Titans even cheap shoted watson from the frustration.

DreamShook likes this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The broadcast was saying the Texans were surprised by Watson's retention of the playbook. I'm assuming Bob trusted him with more information.. Could this be the true offense everyone was talking about? Has Watson's competence finally unleashed The O of Billy O!?

#4 DreamShook, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    CallMeTheDream and red5rocket like this.
  5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

More like who gave OB a quarterback.

6. texian

texian Member

There's always been well over 1000 plays in the playbook.

It appears nobody noticed the drastic changes that have been made since the draft until now, except Ted Johnson who noted during preseason the reverse boots, zone inside/stretch, RPOs, etc.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Well, for one...Watson is athletic and smart enough with misdirection that a lot of those plays actually work. I also feel he is really good with selling the hand-off. This allows a lot of those new creative plays we saw as the D can't just sit on the play and see how it unfolds. Against Watson, they have to be a lot quicker about making a decision.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. The agony we have all suffered through, for years. Watching the Texan's offense in the past was like chronic life time constipation. It felt like I was watching another team today. As a fan, I don't know if I have EVER experienced anything like it.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It’s going to be fun to see this offense evolve as Watson gets even more confident. Play-calling has always been limited by the capability of the QB. We saw first-hand last year the Osweiler offense go from trying to throw downfield and be very aggressive to simple routes, dump-offs.

Caution as once there’s enough film out there... OB and Watson will have to adjust back to the adjustments.

mario_v likes this.
  10. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Seriously. Like all of our complaints just took a complete 180. Still can't believe what I've watched on my tv the past two weeks. What is this damn team?!?!?!?!?

Awesome.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This is all OB. He found a QB he trusted and you are seeing the benefits. OB is regarded high in the league. You have to give coach credit for this.

newAge_Rockets and mario_v like this.
  12. Victorious

Victorious Member

Billy is actually playing to Watson strengths instead of forcing him to play a certain way. More coaches need to tailor their offense around the QB, not the other way around.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

BOB also started using Miller in space.

arif1127 likes this.
  14. conquistador#11

it is on O.B that he put his stubbornness aside. The tb#12 playbook fascination was a little obsessive to say the least.

but it's also true,
    If the line held up for savage, we'd still be seeing empty backfield and shotgun over 70% of the pass plays. But like all the good things, something had to happen to change him. Bellicheat thought bledsoe was the best qb they had until the hit and so on. Savage getting ambushed was preparation meeting opportunity for the 'new system.'

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Weird. Y'all watched the game and came out saying "Wow. What a coach!". I came out saying "what a quarterback!". Weird.

Nook, waytookrzy079, juanm34 and 5 others like this.
  16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Maybe its just that BOB got a QB who can throw?

red5rocket likes this.
  17. Mr. Space City

he can do more because he doesn't have a big slow oaf who can't throw taking snaps now.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Feel like been seeing bits and pieces of the offense the last couple weeks but the timings were off or the plays weren't sharp.

So they'd run the actual reverse when it should have been the fake reverse type stuff. Got better in NE. Today every play call was perfect.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Need talent to execute an offense

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

Wasnt there a play that was like a reverse into an option read or something like that? Looked like a college gimmick play but it worked beautifully.