1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do we matchup best with? (1st round potential matchup)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets11206, Mar 23, 2017.

1. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

I just wanted a take on who you guys think we match up better with...obviously most likely the Grizzlies, Thunder, Clippers. Clippers have a pretty favorable schedule and Memphis has a pretty tough one which in my opinion keeps them at 7. All things considered looking like we will be playing the Thunder or Clippers.

Personally this season I feel like I would much rather face the Thunder than the Clippers. Yes we have played and beat the clippers very handily but they have some very talented players that at any time can take over a series. With the Thunder you basically have a one headed monster in WB, who with Beverley and Gordon can cause their own problems. One thing I am concerned about is Taj Gibson provides more size to a front court which would give us issues, but Steven Adams isn't nearly the defensive presence that Deandre Jordan is. Interested in your opinions.

2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I wanna play OKC

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Memphis would be the best matchup, but other than that, I'd rather play OKC than LAC.

We've controlled every game through 3 quarters against OKC. The problem is that we turn into a completely different team in the 4th which is why the games have been so close. OKC is also the easier team to game plan for. It really is just the Russell Westbrook show over there.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Nice innovative thread. Never seen it before

WIll come back again and again ad again

5. txn

txn Member

I think Oladipo was killing us in the first game. Anyway, with the Taj Gibson trade, they are tougher match up to us. André Roberson's defense to James is above Avg. I think they would be the worse match up to us compare to MEM or LAC

6. lionaire

lionaire Member

My thoughts exactly. It would be the most entertaining matchup no doubt but our best chance to win would be against MEM or LAC.

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

We play OKC, Oladipo and McDermott will hit every 3. We play LAC, Crawford and Reddick will hit every 3. I say we play Memphis.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

They are slightly tougher with the addition of Taj Gibson, but Gibson isn't some phenomenal player or game changer that should be feared. I made this post in an earlier thread about our matchups with OKC...

game 1 (in OKC)
    -we're up by 10 with 45 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, but allow the Thunder to finish the quarter on a quick 5-0 run so we're up 90-85 to start the 4th
    -the Rockets proceed to score just 13 POINTS :eek: in the 4th quarter to lose by 2

game 2 (in OKC)
    -we're up by 13 with 1:40 left in the 3rd quarter and enter the 4th quarter up 86-77
    -we're up by 12 with just under 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter but still only scored 16 POINTS :eek: in the 4th quarter and held on to win by 3

game 3 (in Houston)
    -we're up by 14 at the end of the 3rd quarter (were up by as much as 18 a little over midway through the 3rd)
    -the Rockets proceed to score just 21 POINTS :eek: in the 4th quarter and hold on to win by 2

so we know that we can outplay them even with Harden having very subpar games, we just need to avoid completely collapsing in the 4th quarter like we have been in every single game...I mean, we're playing way below average in those 4th quarters

Harden is averaging 20 points on 29% from the field and 22% from 3, 8 rebounds, 12 assists, and 7 turnovers against them. He's even shooting just 79% from the line in these matchups. Imagine how the games would look against OKC if Harden was playing at just his average level instead of way below it? He has scored just fine against OKC in the past, so it's not like he's incapable of playing well against them.

Memphis is definitely the easiest matchup. They are the least talented and can not defend us or keep up with us offensively. LAC has the most talent out of these 3 teams, and stars matter a lot in the playoffs. LAC has 2 stars, and DJ is 1 of the best at his position.

#8 Reeko, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  9. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

We'd smack the Thunder apart. I hope if we play them or the Grizz, we see some zone defense.

Pen15clubber and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

This thread has been made like three times but my answer is still OKC

11. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Haha, I would've liked to see another poll at this point in the season haha. But I agree with most people here. Either the Thunder or Grizzlies, with the edge being playing against the Grizzlies. thought I'd want to play them the least for the same reason I didn't want to play the Jazz (big, strong, defensive, frontcourt), but the truth is that they seem to be aging, and their best perimter defender (Allen) is showing signs of slowing imo as well. Plus they don't have the firepower we do. I just don't see Conley going for 30+ multiple games and Gasol having monster 25+ games. Though they'd slow our offense down, I don't think their offense would be enough to beat us out. So I'd take Grizzlies.

As far as the Thunder, I do feel comfortable going against them as it would it be entertaining to see the maybe-co-MVPS duke it out, but I do think Beverly would get in a fight with Westbrook and cause him to miss games ... so we'd win. Kidding, maybe. But ya they seem to be our best matchup, despite Roberson destroying James this season ... I think James would pick it up and as mentioned above, if he plays even to his average standards, we'd win in 6 games tops. But for some reason, there is a hidden fear that Westbrook somehow turns it completely on and burns beverly time and again while Roberson does just enough to slow Harden. I hope Beverly would bring it and actually play that tenacious defense he once played earlier this season, but it's been so inconsistent for me to count on it.

No thanks for the Jazz

And double no thanks for the Clips. Chris Paul I dont think will let his team have a first round exit this year.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't care, I think we have the number on all 3 teams we could potentially face (OKC/Grizz/Clips). I'm scared of Jazz/Spurs/Warriors. So I expect we will at least make it to the 2nd round, not sure what will happen in the 2nd round, I believe we have a fighting chance against the Spurs/Jazz and no chance against the Warriors.

13. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I think we could actually beat the Warriors because of the variance factor that Morey talks about could favor us this year with our roster of 3 point shooters. We have the same ability to put up an absurd number of points as they do. Plus, you have to question whether or not Durant will be able to return at 100% this year. Even if he makes it back, it will take him some time to get back to where he was earlier in the year and the Warriors may not have enough time to wait for that to happen and it could disrupt chemistry as well.

Granted, the Warriors still have three all-stars even without Durant so it would still be difficult but to say we have no chance is selling us short, I think. I see this season as a golden opportunity for the Rockets to move in and take advantage.