1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do I have to thank for my college tuition doubling?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bottlerocket, Aug 13, 2004.

1. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

My tuition thissemester at UH (main campus) has gone from $1700+ to $3,348 for the same amount of hours (12hrs).

Do I thank Gov. Rick Perry?

2. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Ouch! Now that is quite a jump for one year. I remember the good old days from 1988 to 1993 when I paid about $600 a semester (12 hours).

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Same here dude :(

maybe if they'd lower the cost of beer it'd even out in the end for me.

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Yes, it's Perry's fault.

"Although Perry claimed in his State of the State address that education represents the greatest investment we can make in a future of prosperity, he agreed to slash general revenue funding for higher education by $259 million. Yet, he fought for and received $295 million for a brand new, unproven economic development fund that allows him to hand out financial incentives to businesses he is attempting to lure to Texas. "

[There are a lot of people who could afford college last year, but can no longer afford to pursue their degree this year.]

"The University of Houston System, for example, has announced a spring 2004 tuition hike of 21 percent for its main campus. Rates are set even higher at one of the state's flagship universities, the University of Texas at Austin. A student taking a 15-hour course load at that institution faces an increase of 26 percent for the spring semester. By the fall 2004 semester, the same student will pay 52 percent more for tuition than he did the previous year."

5. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Be sure to register to vote.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I met a middle class schoolteacher from small town Texas, while in Cozumel recently. She was incensed. Said she was going to become an activist against Perry. Life long Baptist, Republican, war supporter and the whole nine yards. She was totally p'd off that with the recent hikes, as a school teacher with 20 plus years experience, she couldn't afford to pay for her kid to go to college. Her recent grad was starting the local junior college for that reason instead of A & M.

Why do Republicans hate affordable education?

7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

So did he pull a Jim McGreevey a few months back or not? I didn't see the denial, although I'm sure no matter which way it was, he aint talkin.

8. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

I'm voting for whoever makes this stuff affordable. Something like 20% every semester or it feels like that at least.

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I am paying almost $1000.00 for one three-hour class.

Well, thankfully, my company is paying it technically. But still - damn that's ridiculous.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

$30 a credit hour at UT-Austin my freshman year (1979). I never knew I had it so good.

I feel sorry for you guys today. This needs to be fixed pronto.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wow, and I was thinking about going back to school. Not now.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Read my sig!

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

One more reason not to have children these days.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

How much was tuition and how much of it was student fees?

I'm just asking because when I was drunk....er, in college, our tuition was pretty low but the student fees went up every semester. The actual tuition was just a fraction of the total cost.

15. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Gotta do our best to keep the poor and minorities down while we can. When Kerry gets elected, his utopia is going to end the ill-gotten benefits we've received simply from being white males. We'll actually have to be intelligent and hard-working to make six figures, instead of just pasty and male.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Just an FYI, I remember when the tuition deregulation in Texas was being discussed back in 2002. The Daily Texan did a piece showing how tuition at UT was far lower than other top state schools like UC Berkeley, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio St, UNC, etc. With the latest hike, UT is more in-line with comparable state schools.

Do I agree with the deregulation? No. But, to be fair, students are paying similar tuition as their counterparts in other states.

17. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I'm pretty pissed off. Tuition in the UT MBA program just went up $400 a semester a few weeks ago. :mad: That's going to cost me over $3000 over the life of this program!!!!!

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

$3,400 per semester is steep. Here in Arkansas tuition at UA is a little over $2,000 a semester and at A-State it's around $2,200. Even at the University of Memphis it only $2,200 per semester.

19. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Horrendously short-sighted financial planning inevitably leads to cuts in funding, which leads to spikes in costs.

Governor Bush left Texas broke and sucking on deficits for generations. He jacked up spending, cut revenue and backed irresponsible legislation without the money to pay for it. That's one reason (though certainly not the only) tuition has gone through the roof.

In the latter 1990s, it was more important for Texas legislators to elect George Bush to the presidency than to take care of Texans. Now the bill has come due, and we're left holding the bag.

It's insulting that so many Republicans call themselves "financially conservative." Real conservatives pay their own bills.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, if you want to go to college, pay your own bills.

Well put Green.