1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who can't wait?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by D-Roc, Jun 27, 2003.

1. D-Roc

D-Roc Member

For the football season to start. While basketball is great, and hockey works in small dosses, football is the sport. And with preseason about 6 weeks away, and training camps opening about 2 weeks before that we are getting very close to the best time of the year. So I thought I would start a thread in which posters here can state there favortie team and what the expect from set team this season.

I am a Bills fan and have been so since 99. And I got to believe with the roster moves Tom Donahoe has made the past two seasons, that we are as good as any team in the AFC, or even the NFL. Offensively we lost Price, but with the switch to a power running game wich sets up the downfield passing he was expendible. We are still stacked offensively with guys like Bledsoe, Henry, Gash, Moulds (top 5 reciever in NFL), and Reed. Our offensive line has two massive bookend tackles (Jennings and Williams), perrenial pro bowl gaurd (Brown), and Sullivan and Teauge round out a quality o-line.

On defense we have added the like of Takeo Spikes, Jeff Posey (thank you Texans), Sam Adams and Izell Resee. Spikes, Posey, and Adams will be starting and Resee has a chance to take over Prieoleau spot at FS. Schobel is our pass rushing end who has increased his sack totals in his 1st 2 seasons and should break out this season with a better supporting cast. Pat Williams is a stud and guys like Fletcher, Clements, and Winfield are proven playmakers.

Two guys two watch out for are Josh Reed and Coy Wire. Both are entering their second season, both had solid rookie campaigns, and if this team is to become a Super Bowl contender, both players will have to step their games up to a higher level.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

busy enjoying the astros...but i love football, and can't wait for the texans second season

3. Buck Turgidson

F* the Bills.

And Frank Reich.

And O.J.

Possibly my most hated team in pro football, except for the chaingang from South Oklahoma.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

can't wait for football. Bills should be good this year but

FYI - Jeff Posey is a product of the 3/4 system... so who knows what he'll do next year.

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Why are you posting Bills crap in our Texans forum? F**K the Bills!!

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Enjoying the Astros...UGH !!

They are underacheiving like mad.....when will the bats heat up...where is our starting pitching...the team is playing below it's capabilities.

DD

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i love ya, da da...but your glass is sooooo half empty! :D smile and enjoy the fact they're competitive...just remember, you could live in a town that hasn't had a competitive baseball team in 10 years!

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I can't wait for Texans football, and I am interesed to see what Parcells does in Dallas...

but the Bills??? brother please...

I like Bledsoe and hope he does well, but I still can't believe they took McGahee...They had other needs...

GO TEXANS...

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ditto to MadMax. They're underachieving, and they're still only a half game out of first! Knowing what they can accomplish should have you excited, especially since they're almost sure to make some sort of deadline deal for pitching.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Underachieving? Nah. The 64 $ question is how they are in contention with the injuries and age and poor depth and rotten manager?

I am thrilled with their season, to date. Perhaps Joe Hardy can show up.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Due to the off-topic talk of a few BBS posters, this thread has crashed and burned.

;)

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I am ready for ....................

UT FOOTBALL

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Go Vols. Tulsa?

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No, Toledo.

15. D-Roc

D-Roc Member

Let me respond to some of the things people have said throughout this thread.

First Buck Turgidson: "The Comback" sure was a great game and I can understand why you would hate Frank Reich. But that was the Oilers. You got a new team know thats making their own history. Let it go.

JPMoo6: You bring up a good point about Posey. But I think he will succedd in Buffalo and not be another Keith Newman for two reasons. He will have better players around him in Buffalo this year then Newman had last year. And he is a better athlete and faster then Newman.

nWo34forlife: I do post in a Bills forum. I came here because I am a Rocket fan and I want to not just limit myself to just the Rockets page. I also like having non Bill fans post in my Bills site because it adds a different aspect to the forum. I just thought I would do the same here.

rrj_gamz: The McGahee pick threw me off as well, but the more I thought about it the more I came to agree with it. We actually had few holes which gave us the luxuary of drafting the "best player available" I love Henry and last year is no fluke but if McGahee comes back to form then we have great trade bait.

I could have came here and went off with Texans suck stuff and Bills rule but I didin't. I just want to talk football here with knowledgable fans.

16. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I don't see Posey doing good in Buffalo, he just excelled under the Texans system. I thought it was dumb of the Bills to draft McGahee too (esp. since they play in the cold), but he was the best available player.

17. D-Roc

D-Roc Member

We changed our field from regular turf to the astro turf stuff which looks and feels like real grass.

The real reason that I am confident about Posey is that he was Tom Donahoe's first priority and he signed him in the first 24 hours of the free agency period. Donahoe has a good track record of spotting good linebackers from his Pittsburgh days. Hopefully Posey is no different. But we did draft Angelo Crowell in the 3rd round as insurence if Posey does not live up to expectations.

BTW, did Posey ever line up at DE in your nickel and dime packages last season. Because there are talks of him doing so in Buffalo.

18. junglerules

junglerules Member

Nice to have you around, D-Roc. I, too, am incredibly impatient for both the college and pro football season. I really like baseball when the stros are competing, but it's not nearly the same to me as football.

Anyway, about your Bills. I think they are an improved team, but I think the Peerless Price trade will hurt somewhat, especially if Josh Reed can't establish himself early. You'll see lots of teams doubling up on Moulds if Reed or a TE can't step up.

I like some of the things done on D, especially Takeo Spikes. A very underrated LB. However, how good is the secondary? I haven't really felt like the Bills can defend the pass, although maybe they've made some upgrades there.

All in all, I just think they are a year away still. Bear in mind, they aren't playing in a weaker division like the AFC south or central- they have arguably the toughest division in football to compete in. They get the NFC East this year in non-conference games, which is solid, though not terrifying. I can see them finishing at 7-9, or 8-8, and will need some breaks to get in to the playoffs.

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can't wait untill Nov. 16th.

20. D-Roc

D-Roc Member

There was no way we could have held on to Price. He wanted to be the man and as long as Moulds is here he was never going to be the man. So by trading him we not only got our 1st round pick back but cleared enough money to give Spikes a big enough contract that the Bengals would not match.

Our corners are ocnsidered one of the top young tandems around. Winfield is considered one of the best tacklers at his positions and Clements is what you would want your prototypical CB to be. Big, strong, and fast. He burst on the sceen last year with 6 picks and should do even better with an improved pass rush.

Our safties however aren't as strong (especially our FS). At SS we got Wire a rook from last season who is developing nicely and his talents are exactley what we need out of our SS in our 46 defense. Watch out for Wire. HIm and Reed should have break through seasons.