1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who are the list of defensive coaches available?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeemthagreat, Oct 27, 2018.

1. hakeemthagreat

I'm not gonna pretend like I know any assistant coaches by name. I heard Mike Brown's name thrown around here. Is Lionel Collins still around? Does anybody know anybody else?

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Too late. No coach is going to join this train wreck in progress without an off-season.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

You mean Lionel Hollins? I don't think he's coaching right now...Brown is on the Warriors.

4. hakeemthagreat

We need to give Hollins a call asap

High Vibrationz likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where is the Brad Stevens of Defense?

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's personnel more than coaching

TMac'n and High Vibrationz like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A wise observation.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No doubt, but coaching can make some difference too.

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Celtics Danny Ainge is the Real Genius by Finding Daryl Morey in the First Place way back then when Daryl was hired by the Celtics. Now finding Brad Stevens.

daywalker02 and True Rocket like this.
  10. txn

txn Member

If Jeff Bzdelik can turn Harden into a "OK" defender like last season, there is no personnel more than coaching. Look at Jeff Van Gundy era's Houston Rockets, you think the personnel on that team is better than our current team (PJ, CP3, CC, Ennis)? Absolutely not, sir. It's the system. Losing Trevor Ariza and Luc, should not put a top 10 defense team to the last tier. We simply DO NOT have a good defensive coordinator. Hire a good defensive assistance coach, our defensive ranking can easily go back to top half.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Houston homer himself. JV freakin G.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Get some legit defensive players and watch Jeff B. come back out of retirement.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

So you saying acquiring Jimmy Buckets is killing 2 birds with one stone?

14. Audioout

Audioout Member

A lot of the problem is effort. When you play with low intensity and effort, the switching defense doesn't work well or at all. They looked okay during the preseason, playing with some fire and they look okay in stretches but I think injuries are in their head and they're playing like the regular season doesn't matter.

kjayp likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Doubtful anyone who takes their career seriously would attach themselves to this full time.

Might have to think outside the box and hire someone as a consultant for a month or two. Doesn't typically happen in the NBA, but I don't see why not.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Are we really just leaving it up to MDA and Roy Rogers to fix this train wreck of a defense?
    For all the talk of 'not wasting our window...' this would appear to me to be just that....

What good is it mortgaging the future for Tomball Jimmy if we obviously dont have a competent defensive coach?

Like adding Butler to the mix is going to miraculously change our defense? he's one guy... teams will just work the switches until they get a more advantageous match-up and then exploit it...

If we dont have a plan beyond MDA & RR to fix the d - then we aint winning nothing... if we aint winning, then I have even less belief that Tomball Jimmy would stick around after this year... meaning we'd give up EGo's 2nd year and Bird rights on a re-sign + future draft picks for a 1 year rental in a train wreck season...

I understand that Biglydick screwed us by resigning when he did... but yer tellin me there aint a single more competent option out there to try to help fix this d?

Mgmt really screwed this up... either by pissing off Biglydick - or by not having a backup plan...

There's always something... smh...

TexAg713 likes this.
  17. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Please cut Roy Rogers first

bj3175 likes this.
  18. riko

riko Member

Lionel hollins mastermind of grit and grind in Memphis is a good choice but we also need to upgrade personnel wise as we’ll

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

my god its only one full game into the season and you come with all this

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bzdelik has done well but it was only 1 or 2 seasons......I would call him a genuis if he did that throughout 3-5 years.