1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which team will retire Mutombo's jersey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thedopefiend, Apr 26, 2009.

?

Which team should have Deke's jersey retired?

Poll closed May 3, 2009.
  1. Atlanta

28 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Denver

79 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. Houston

106 vote(s)
    47.1%
  4. NJ or Phi

12 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. thedopefiend

thedopefiend Member

When you look back, the 18 seasons of Deke's glorious career were scattered in quite a few different destinations. He has played for six teams, among which Denver, Atlanta and Houston each enjoyed five s+easons' service of him. In terms of stats, his best years happened in Denver; speaking of being a franchise guy in a contender team, Atlanta had been a top 4 Eastern team during his stay; speaking of playoff success, his short journey to NJ and Phi resulted in twice appearance in the Finals.

However, I for myself, would love to see Houston honor Mutombo (as much as they honor this team) by retiring Deke's jersey in Toyota Center. He might not be a dominent force on court for us, but he has been a major factor in this team's integration and maturity, a true leader and professional model. Not to mention his most successful years as a humanitarian happened also in H-town, and well support by both the franchise and the citizens of this city. That's why I believe he should be given a formal link to Houston, and for a NBA professional, what honor is better than having your jersey hanging along the names like Calvin Murphy, Moses Malone and the Dream?

What do you think?

2. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

i would love to see the toyota centre retire his jersey as well, but he probably played his best basketball at denver. but it would be sick to see it at the toyota centre

3. chasingu

chasingu Member

The league should retire #55 for his enduring basketball spirit.

4. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

Dunno about the retired jersey. But I think like the announcer said, that the trophy that Mutombo received because of his humanitarian activities, should change the name to the Mutombo trophy

5. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

You mean the Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo Trophy.

6. CFMars

CFMars Member

:eek: just wondering whether tmac's jersey is gonna retire in TC or in Orlando.

7. IBleedRed08

IBleedRed08 Member

I'd love to have #55 served up next to #34 in the TC rafters! :D

8. allforone

allforone Member

I voted Houston...but his prime was in Denver.

Would be more than glad to have his jersey in our arena

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

They didn't say that that particular award should be named after him, just another award of some kind. While Mutombo does deserve an honor like that, removing J. Walter Kennedy's (former NBA commish) name from that trophy to but Deke's on it would be pretty crappy.

10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Or maybe just multiple teams retire his jersey

11. Lonestar

Lonestar Member

i would love to see it in TC

12. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

There should be an "all of the above" option.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the league should retire his jersey. he's the model for an NBA citizen.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

should have made it possible to select more than one answer.. so i'm not voting

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He's bounced around a lot and had he best numbers with Denver and Atlanta, but for whatever reason he seems to have formed a really strong bond with the Rockets organization. I don't think we would be out of place if we retired Deke's jersey first.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

this ^^

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I dont really think we should. He was never more than a role player here.

Maybe Denver.

18. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

The Rockets, Hawks and Nuggets have promised Deke they will retire his number so this is a non-issue. However, he was most important, most famous, at his best, most loved and started his career in Denver so they should be the first to retire his jersey. He was the #1 reason they won the series vs. Sonics with his amazing block shotting abilities, setting all kinds of records. Too bad they got rid of him after 95-96, one of the dumbest moves ever, you just do not trade a guy like Mutombo. He was supposed to be a franchise player like Olajuwon, Yao etc.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

A bunch of teams let Mutombo go...let's not overrate him.

20. thedopefiend

thedopefiend Member

Never heard of this, would u please confirm?