1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Pitchers Should be on the Astros’ Playoff Roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by No Worries, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Hinch confirmed last night he was taking 12 into the first series. My 12 would be:

Verlander
    Cole
    Keuchel
    Morton (if healthy)
    McCullers
    Osuna
    Pressley
    Harris
    Peacock
    James
    Sipp

Hinch might think McCullers needs more work and sit him this series in favor of Rondon or Mchugh.

2. Buck Turgidson

When was that? I missed it.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

When they were interviewing him during live action in either the first or second game. I can't remember which one. The announcers repeated it as well.

4. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I would go...

Verlander
    Cole
    Keuchel
    Morton -
    We will see what he looks like today. If his velocity is down still then he has to sit and be reevaluated for the ALCS if we get there.
    McCullers - He looks healthy and he looks great (velocity was real good yesterday and was jumping out of his hand). I always though he would make an amazing closer. He should probably be getting some of the high leverage 7th/8th inning duties. That way if he is REAL hot, ala Game 7 ALCS, then you just let him finish it out.
    Osuna
    Pressly
    Rondon -
    Dude has been great for 85% of the year. Served as our closer for a big chunk too. No way we leave him off, even if he has struggled a bit recently. But short leash for sure. One base runner and I pull him if it were up to me.
    McHugh - Honestly he has always scared me, but his command has been amazing this year. What a luxury to have this guy in the bullpen.
    Sipp
    Harris
    - He has quietly turned it around for the last couple of weeks. He always seemed to be the "gamer" of the old bunch (gregerson, giles, etc). Give him the shot...besides we are likely talking about his role being the last guy off the bench type anyways.
    Peacock - We have seen it before from him. Who knows, maybe when the lights are brightest he is on another level. We cant dismiss last seasons magic and risk losing out on it this year for some rookies.

While I would love and generally agree with the assessment of having James in there, I just feel like in a short series is it really worth the risk? He is a rookie and we really cant be sure what he is gonna bring in these types of atmospheres. One implosion in a short series could get us booted. At least with the other guys, there is a track record, and more importantly a familiarity between manager, pitching coach, bench coaches, and catcher with the pitcher. In other words it may be easier to see/determine if they have it or dont that day and pull them before it is too late. Can we make the same assumptions with James/Valdez? In the ALCS, add James as the series is extended and will allow for maybe just a bit of experimentation/lightning in a bottle.

And one last thing...these are luxury decisions to have to make...lots of other teams would love to even debate adding a 101mph flamethrower with big league experience and success to their playoff roster. I mean really all of these guys having to sit sucks...we are talking about nothing but dudes with sub 4 ERAs. We are stacked.

5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Leave Keuchel off

mario elie likes this.
  6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Really? I heard 14 position players and 11 pitchers.

7. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn’t hear Hinch say it but TK and Blummer said Hinch had said he was taking 12 but he hadn’t said which ones.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If it's 12, I'd guess:

Verlander
    Cole
    Keuchel
    Morton*
    McCullers
    James
    McHugh
    Rondon
    Smith
    Sipp
    Pressley
    Osuna

*If Morton isn't right and they leave him off, insert Peacock.

On James, he's shown nothing but ice in his veins so far. He hasn't been rattled by anything. @SS0101, don't forget he went in to Fenway and dominated the Red Sox Granted, that was a Houston-friendly crowd. It's still a heck of a place in only your 2nd Major League appearance. I'm not concerned about him being overwhelmed at all.

9. Buck Turgidson

I heard that they hadn't made up their mind yet but he acknowledged that they had 11 last year. The whole interview was awesome.

We'll find out soon enough. 12 in a 5 game series makes little sense to me, but it could be a hedge against the health of Morton or something.

10. Buck Turgidson

Not a quote from Hinch or Luhnow, but it's on astros.com:

"The Astros will carry 14 position players and 11 pitchers (four starters, seven relievers) against the Indians."

Hinch did say that they wanted to put LMJ in a high-leverage situation, and that it worked out perfectly. Sounded like he is a lock for the ALDS.

11. Buck Turgidson

And Lance bounced back today and did it again.

12. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s good because even though Peacock will probably be one of the 11 I don’t realky trust him or Rondon right now

13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

If Hinch goes 14 position players, 11 pitchers. Add Straw to the bench of Maldonado, Gattis/White, Kemp, Marisnick.

Starters: JV, Cole, Keuchel, Morton

Pen: Osuna, Pressly, Rondon, McHugh, Sipp, James, Devo

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Mccullers, Peacock, and Smith are ahead of Devo for sure. He's a lock to be left off IMO.

James is an interesting decision but I think he gets left off for ALDS, then if anyone struggles and Hinch loses confidence he gets added on.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You don’t need 12 pitchers in a 5 game series but I guess there are some close enough calls to make in the bullpen that you just take 12 anyways.

Verlander
    Cole
    Keuchel
    Morton

Osuna
    Pressly
    Smith
    Rondon
    Sipp

I think those 9 are locks.

Then you’re probably taking McCullers who looks healthy and has the track record. Plus Mchugh despite his recent struggles. That’s 11.

Harris has been good lately but I think James gets the nod if you end up with 12 guys strictly because of versatility.

WhoDatStrosfan likes this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I dont think Smith or Harris are necessary.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Verlander
    Cole
    Keuchel
    Morton

McCullers
    Osuna
    Rondon
    Pressley
    McHugh
    Peacock
    Sipp
    Harris

I'd love to fit James in, as he can give you similar results as Morton, Peacock, & LMJ gave us out of the pen last postseason. Going multiple innings and missing bats. At the end of the day though I'd favor the guys with experience, and in particular, postseason experience with the exception of Pressley.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Personally I would take James over Harris. His is just better.

19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Omg some of you guys are mental.

NO WAY PEACOCK MAKES IT.

VERLANDER, Cole, Keuchal, Morton
    McCullers, Pressley, Rondon, Osuna, McHugh, Sipp and James or Smith

You leave the best on the field.
    Devo, Harris, Peacock, Perez and Valdez with the others sorry but pitch better.
    Stop saying well last year they were beast. It's not about last year theres alot of film out there to watch. Players have picked up on things. Go with who's hot.

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I think it will come down to:

Smith/Peacock/Harris/Rondon/James

For two or maybe three spots...

I’d take Peacock because he’s been there before and did it under the brightest lights. Then I’d go with Harris. Last spot would be between Smith/Rondon/James.