1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Astros outfielder should be traded?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by countingcrow, Nov 23, 2000.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Should it be Richard Hidalgo? Lance Berkman? Daryle Ward? Roger Cedeno? Moises Alou?

I think the Astros should trade away Cedeno for some decent major-league pitching help. I can't even believe there has been speculation of the Astros trading Hidalgo, or at least that is what www.mlbtalk.com reports every now and then. Daryle Ward is too valuable IMO to trade away at this point, especially with the Bagwell situation being up in the air. Alou is productive and comes with a cheap price tag and he is a legitemate MVP candidate if healthy for a whole season. Berkman is young and talented and has far-reaching potential, plus he's a hometown boy and really loves playing in Houston.

How about trading Cedeno for a young pitcher that is already on the block such as Seattle's Brett Tomko or Texas's Justin Thompson. Who else is there?

------------------

2. Summer Song Giver

Alou-nearly untouchable as moving him might cost us Bagwell;however if it would have no affect on Bags's situation he would be the first I would move.
    Cedeno-I am almost positive he will be dealt for some pitching and would be very happy with either Tomko or Thompson but I think we'll probably have to settle for less
    Hidalgo-The deal mentioned on MLBTalk is tempting but losing Richard would be very painful and I doubt if it will happen.Richard is our future,if Bags leaves it will become his team.
    Berkman-He has value as both an outfielder and backup firstbaseman and when Cedeno returned from injury last year and still couldn't crack the lineup the Astros had made their decision.
    Ward-If Bagwell resigns he is gone but somehow I think Bagwell's contract situation won't be resolved anytime soon and Ward value is too high until we see what happens with Bags.

------------------
    I'm not the type to eat it up but the type to hit it raw dog and seed it up.

3. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Since I didn't make it more clear in the original post, the trade that MLBtalk proposed was a swap between the Braves and the Astros that would send Hidalgo to Atlanta and bring Kevin Millwood and John Rocker to Houston. I don't think this would be very beneficial to Houston.

------------------

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Ultimately, Hidalgo and Berkman are likely the two outfielders of the future of that group. I am tempted to believe that, with all the high-dollar free agents signing, Bagwell might be too pricey for the Astros considering his age and the status of the team, which means Ward is the first baseman of the future.

That really leaves Cedeno and Alou. If we could get something for either, I would be tempted to move both if it meant pitching AND a decent outfielder in return, but that is probably just a dream.

------------------
    Time for a new cause.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cendeno or Ward (if we keep Bagwell).

If we trade Hidalgo for Millwood and Rocker, I'm no longer an Astro fan.

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com

and, http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

6. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Trade Bags to the Red Sox. [​IMG]

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

7. Nomar

Nomar Member

Amen to that Dean. Well give you old Sabes for him. HAHA!!
    Sox world series champs 2001.
    Nomar MVP 2001.

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?

8. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Nomar, Saberhagen must stay, trade some aaa players for him.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

[This message has been edited by DEANBCURTIS (edited November 23, 2000).]

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I think this one is easy. Trade Cedeno. He can't even play CenterField. That makes him go from a bonus to a liability. Centerfield is huge at Enron and Cedeno was horrible out there. I'd rather have the power.

Biggio or Viszcaino can lead off.

If Ward cannot play 1b this year then he must be traded. I would trade him out of respect for the player he could be. There are times in life where you must give a player the chance to play somewhere else. This is the time. Wychek ran into the same situation with Redskins before playing with Oilers. He had to be cut. ward has to be traded. He deserves to play.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

10. Julie

Julie Member

I nominate we trade Cedeno and Ward if Bagwell wants to stick around in Houston.

------------------
    "Here's the kicker... it doesn't matter if you believe this or not because I'm sure you don't, but it already has created enough doubt and makes enough sense to make me and I'm sure anyone else wonder why in the world you would make such a narrow, closed-minded assumption that my Jesus Christ has suddenly become your cat." ***Clutch slays the religion basher known as DREAMer

Rockets and Comets stayin' in Houston!

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Alou isn't exactly cheap, I think he comes 5 mill per. IF we could get a relatively young frontline starter, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I wouldn't mind something like Klesko and Hitchcock or Matt Clement for Alou and a minor league arm.

One rumor I've heard is Cedeno to Detroit for Matt Anderson (a young pitcher, who if I'm not mistaken was the #1, from Rice a few years ago) and Robert Fick.

Berkman will be staying for sure-he doesn't have a big contract or a high trade value.

Hidalgo is a keeper unless we have a REALLY good offer for him.....Milwood and Rocker would be very enticing if Milwood was coming off his 99 season. We can always waive Rocker.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

12. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

You guys are nuts to want to trade Alou. He is an All-Star who puts up great numbers. If we trade him, Bagwell is gone. Haven't we learned, we traded Everett and look what happened. We are a pitcher away from winning the division. Lima WILL bounce back next year.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

13. University Blue

Everett may be a better-than-average outfielder and hitter, but he has a destructive club-house personality. Houston, however, should have gotten more for him.

Let's be clear. Houston is two or three starting pitchers away from a division title. Reynolds can be solid. Lima is too wild, un-predict-able, and un-reliable. I'm not convinced Elarton should be near the top of the rotation.

Houston (and Hunsicker) should concentrate on getting quality starting pitching this off-season -- even if it means trading Cedeno, Dotel, Lima, and Ward.

------------------
    Not only have the Drew bashers crossed the line, but they've sprinted a couple of miles beyond it.

14. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Cedeno and Ward yes, Lima and Dotel no.

Not convinced of Elarton? [​IMG]

17-7 .263 opp. batting average

Granted his ERA was high 4.81, but that will come down next season.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

15. University Blue

Houston should ship Cedeno to Detroit and bring back Ausmus. That Ausmus trade [read: Hunsicker un-loading salary, one less killer "B"] was the pre-cursor to all the problems Houston had last year.

------------------
    Not only have the Drew bashers crossed the line, but they've sprinted a couple of miles beyond it.

16. Summer Song Giver

Ausmus?We've moved on we're happy with Mitch Meluskey

------------------

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Remember, Berkman is also more of a first baseman than an outfielder.

------------------

18. University Blue

...so are the rest of the NL base-runners.

------------------

19. Summer Song Giver

We'll see,but last time I checked Mitch's bat would win alot more games than Ausmus's arm especially at Enron field

------------------
    Mitch Meluskey...The real Slim Shady

20. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Ward is also a 1st baseman trying to play Outfield.

Ward, Berkman and Hidalgo you cant trade.

------------------
    Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!