1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which #33 is less deserving of being a "Top 50" player?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Band Geek Mobster, Feb 28, 2003.

?

Which #33 is the least deserving of being on the top 50 list?

1. Patrick Ewing

20 vote(s)
    24.7%
  2. Scottie Pippen

61 vote(s)
    75.3%
  1. Band Geek Mobster

One guy has the rings, but also had the fortune of playing with the greatest player of all time.

The other guy just sucked.

Both players were on the "Top 50 NBA Players of All-Time" list produced a few years ago.

So which #33 is the least deserving of that honor?

2. foodworld

foodworld Member

Marty Conlon sucked. Brett Szabo sucked. Acie Earl sucked. Patrick Ewing?

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Conlon, Szabo and Earl never wore the #33. Whats your point?

4. Band Geek Mobster

"Sucked" is a relative term of course...

In my opinion, Ewing was a big loser on the NBA level that couldn't hit a clutch shot even if it were within a foot of the basket...

I definitely think he sucks for being a "top 50" player...

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

STAT TOTAL NBA RANK
    Minutes 40,594 13th
    Points 24,815 13th
    Field Goals Made 9,702 10th
    Free Throws Made 5,392 18th
    Blocks 2,894 4th

Those are some sucky numbers.

6. Band Geek Mobster

Ewing sucked when it mattered the most...

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

First of all...DISPICABLE! I can't believe NY fans just booed Alonzo Mourning when he went up to say a few kinds words about Patrick Ewing at the jersey retirement ceremony. Ridiculous.

As for your question, it's Scottie Pippen. I think he's just been holding Gary Payton's spot for the last couple of years.

8. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Pippen.

Migraine faking wussy boy who rode another's tail but was solidly mediocre without a superstar taking all the pressure.

Ewing was a great player. Flawed, but still great. He wasn't as good as Hakeem, but that's not a crime.

9. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

You forgot a word in your original post. I went ahead and added it in for you. :p

10. Trickdaddy1319

yea except pippen came right back and was MVP of the all-star game after Jordan left.

11. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Oooh, the All-Star game! That's important... :rolleyes:

12. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Ewing hands down, if anyone saw the Blazers game last night, then they'll understand Pippen's importance to the team. He carried the Blazers to victory with a swollen knee.

I thought it would have been funny if someone mentioned the strip club incident to Ewing, I never did like him.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Didn't Ewing hit the game winning shot to send the Knicks to the Finals in 1994?

14. Band Geek Mobster

I don't think so...:confused:

15. carayip

carayip Member

Yes he did. Game winning layup.

16. carayip

carayip Member

What Pippen did now is irrelevant. Ewing at least led his team to the Finals. Pippen couldn't do it without MJ.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

One was a franchise center. Someone you could build a team around. We might not like Ewing, and comparing him to Hakeem is just plain stupid. However, he is definitely top fifty of all time.

Pippen would quit on the team if you tried to build one around him.

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It is funny that this is being talked about as I was thinking that Ewing is someone not worthy of being in the top 50.

I mean I think the guy was overrated for a couple of reasons:

1) He had such a great college career at Georgetown and came into the league with this aura of being such a dominant player because of what he did in college

2) He played in New York....I mean come on, if he had played in Milwaukee or Sacramento or Cleveland or somewhere else that was not a huge market like New York, would he have gotten all the attention that he got??

Plus watching Ewing shoot a basketball was something that was genuinely horrifying.

Now don't get me wrong I despise Quitten and I really think that both of them don't belong in the top 50 but if I had to choose one, I would choose Ewing as the one to boot out.

19. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Pippen didn't win w/o MJ and MJ didn't win w/o Pippen, your point?

Even now in the 16th year of his NBA career Pippen has a chance to lead the Blazers to his 7th ring. And plus he'll probably play 2 more years after this, depending upon how he feels at the end of the year.

20. Live

Live Member

OK, ya'll can start using :p and ;) anytime now!

I mean, you can't be seriously asking (objectively) if Ewing was a top 50 player?! Of course he was!

NY may have never won a ring with him, but they were contenders throughout his career. And he was one of the more consistent and well-rounded Cs in the history of the game.

I always held a bit of a grudge against him because his Georgetown team beat UH for the Nat'l Championship :D , but I definitely respected and appreciated his game.