1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where's the D from our Guards?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by man532, Feb 5, 2002.

1. man532

man532 Member

Yes, the Rocks won and held the Jazz to 97 points and 44% shooting, however, we will never be confused with the Rocket team of OT, Dream, Horry, V-max, and KSmith on D.

Our defensive effort by our guards are horrible at best. At least Eddie, KT, and Cato (sometimes) play D on a consistent night and night out basis.

Our guards (Steve, Cat, and Norris) play D based on how thier offense is going. Gentlemen this is not the ABA and your not going to outscore your opponent every night. Steve Nash looked like Pistol Pete the other night with Moochie and Steve playing literally no D. Watch Cat, if his offense is going he is hustling on D, if not watch the other team guard light him up.

I would love to see Pat Riley put some D in the Rockets O. The record would have improved by at least 7 to 10 games.

Rudy where's the D my man, we won championships with D and Dream of course.

2. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Last night has to be considered an exception as everyone played D. But before then, we had no D. Hopefully, from here our guards will play d although there is only so much you going to get from Moochie.

3. knifejc

knifejc Member

Isn't the D from our guards always lacking???? Wasn't is just last week the Nash was torching us. Maybe its just me (I'm too lazy to look up the stats but i'm sure someone else will correct me:D) but don't our guards always concentrate more on offense than defense

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Jazz game was our best defensive effort of the year.

I'm really happy because they started that effort in the first quarter, and not when they were down by fifteen points. They also held it together, with only a few lapses.

They've been passing more lately, and, if they keep the defense up we might be able to see what this team is really capable of.

5. Hydra

Hydra Member

While Cat isn't first team all defense, he certainly is not the matador that Steve, Mooch, and Walt are on that side of the ball. He actually does a pretty good job of stopping penetration and getting a hand in his guy's face. Being 4 inches shorter than his competition doesn't help him, but he has a tremendous wingspan that lets him get his hands in the passing lanes and pick steals. He wasn't first team all defense at RI for nothing.