1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Where is Mr. Gay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

This is going to be a controversial thread - but why have we not acquired this guy yet?

I have heard the critiques of Gay before.

1. He's not a winner
    2. He doesn't play defense
    3. He is inefficient

I've watched a fair amount of the Kings this season, and I've been pretty impressed with his game. Is he a star? No. Is he someone you'd want to build a team around? No.

Does he ISO too much? It depends what you'd consider too much, but he does provide a solid post up option. From what I have seen, he's not a great defender, but when he's dialled in and giving effort he's solid. He also rebounds at a solid rate.

In the past, he's been moulded into the number one guy/franchise face and he hasn't done well. I'm not going to dismiss him as a nice piece on a contender in a reduced role from his time in Sacramento; because no one is good there and that place is an absolute disaster.

He openly wants out and he's unhappy.

There's going to be some posters here who say we don't need more offense and need more defense. Personally I think we need both. Harden is godly but when it comes to the crunch I am concerned our offense will stall because teams will load up on Harden and we don't have a guy who can create for himself outside of Gordon.

For those concerned about chemistry - from all reports Gay is a really good teammate and not an issue in the locker room.

If we could get him without giving up Ariza - why wouldn't you do it? The Kings have zero leverage.

22.3 ppg | 6.5 r | 2.5 a | 49% fg | 41% 3p | 80% ft | on the season.

FANfrom86toNow and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's not controversial. You forgot the main reason we're not acquiring him, which is that he sucks at playing basketball. Unfortunately for him, it's not a one on one sport and it seems he never got over that.

If they pay us with a pick, and they take Brewer, I'd take him on this team on the last day trades are possible so as to reduce his number of games as a Rocket. Could be a good 8th/9th man.

Also, it is genuinely shocking to me that you watched him and thought to yourself we should acquire this guy. I don't mean that in a condescending way. I'm just truly shocked that that can happen.

roslolian likes this.
  3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

dont you remember him in his craptors days? remember that overtime game against rockets where he had like 27pts on 32 shots? that game was hilarious both teams were sht.

math couldnt say it any better lmao

op - you know what, after watching rudy gay this saeson i think we should trade for him
    math - wtf why would you do that?
    op - because he can score the heck out of that ball, and i like his last name. mr. gay
    math - but he sucks

rockets are stuck with eg and ryan as their 2nd and 3rd options. season is young, ryan barely getting into his role here. i think he'll get better as the season goes on. and yeah we do need more defense. cant get more offense w/o giving up key players that we need. if we dont give up ariza then its at least capela, 1st, maybe 2nd, kj and/or dekker. nah

4. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

I think rudy is a really good player but is like a 3rd 4th option on a championship team but I wouldn't want to give up ariza but we do need a wing that can creat his own shot off the dribble and I think he could do pretty well for us but I highly doubt sac would just take brewer

5. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

That's what I think too? I knew others would disagree haha

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I wouldnt mind rudy gay on this team at all. Hes an upgrade to most of our wing players without a doubt. You dont get him to be a primary option. You get him to complement around a guy like harden. Funny how people use team usa as a point to make that other players like cousins, faried, melo, harden etc can do this and that when surrounded with some talent but apparently it doesnt apply here.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Mr. Gay is having breakfast with our insider Mr. _holic. Let's wait for them to finish so _holic can give us the down low

RasaqBoi likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Rudy Gay for dirt cheap as a bench player? OK. Otherwise... no thanks.

Cashmoney likes this.
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Heck yes we should trade for him. If Dmo wants out sign and trade him and package him with Brewer. Bev, Gordon, Gay, Dekker, Nene would be a good bench.

That's some nice scoring punch off the bench.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

And plus Gay is going to opt out which helps to clear some cap room.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You know that is not even possible, yes?

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

It's not his game I don't like. It's the lack of improvement that scares me away.

He could potentially be a good defender. But he hasn't learned anything so far, so I'm worried if we brought him in to be talented, instead of what he is (an inefficient scorer) we'll be disappointed.

13. vick

vick Member

You can not get a cheeseburger at Whataburger for Brewer. If they will take Brewer and a second round pick Yes Yes Yes.

14. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

We dont need him

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

gay is too controversial to join the rockets.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Mr. Gay is on Montrose right now. Getting ready for Saturday brunch with his teammates.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I mean WTF, you obviously know why we haven't acquired him, yet you start this thread anyhow.

Cashmoney and roslolian like this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

The problem with Gay is he is inefficient. The CF boards make fun of Ariza for being a brick brother right? Well apparently Ariza is putting the ball in the hole way more times than Gay has been this season, so if people are angry at Ariza they will flip out at Gay wasting possessions away with mid range Js that dont go in. This is just a classic case of grass is greener syndrome, once he actually gets here everyone will realize he sucks and then blame morey for getting him

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Gay wants out.

I chuckled.

20. craguin

craguin Member