1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where are the tax cuts?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

https://shareblue.com/it-just-seems...rips-off-working-people/#.WjVJcx4Oz-A.twitter

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

We don't agree on much, but here we do agree. It's just kind of ridiculous for mortgages of extreme size to keep getting an increasing benefit. The benefit becomes huge for people carrying $1M or even $2M mortgages. If someone chooses to buy a $2.5M house in SF and carry a $2M mortgage. Should they really get to write off $60k/yr in those interest payments that they voluntarily incurred?

And I say that as a northern Californian deeply impacted by the absurd price of housing out here.

No one should shed a tear for mortgages over $750k, IMHO. Only a rarified group of people, by income, can even qualify for such mortgages in the post-2008 world anyway.

That said, the tax wrinkle is clearly targeting deeply blue areas like NYC and SF. I just wish the money would at least benefit the poor and the starving poor in this country. Oh well. Gilded days are here again.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. hlcc

hlcc Member

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

In the abstract I'm no fan of the mortgage deduction (as a homeowner I think it's great) - but you're right, we shouldn't subsidize giant mortgages for well off people as they tend to make the tax system more regressive - except in this case it's being unsubsidized so that you can give other tax breaks to even more well off people and foreign shareholders to make the tax system ultra regressive.

It's a literal zero-sum game here since they're using reconciliation.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

7. Commodore

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

So you are saying the bottom quintiles get a tax cut?

I was told almost everyone pays more

#508 tallanvor, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's impressive given that the bottom 50% pay less than 3% of the taxes as is. I mean, finding a way to give any tax cuts at all to people who don't pay them in the first place is awesome.

10. NewRoxFan

Curious, what tax cut do the higher income categories get? And How do the higher income categories compare to the those in middle and lower income? After all, trump says this is a middle class tax cut, where the middle class get the most benefit...

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you cut taxes for everyone, then those who pay more will always get more back. Those who pay nothing will get less back. Doesn't mean you are screwing over those who pay nothing.

I'm not sure why this is a difficult concept for so many.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Told by who?

The bottom gets a minscule tax cut but have social services cut in order to pay for a tax cut.

Does the GOP have an alternative to ACA? No, seems those at the bottom, regardless of age, are going to hav Medicaid and Medicare cut.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL......2018. It is a sliding scale. It gets worse for the middle class every year. The 2023 is when the cuts are set to expire. If they do, the only ones to benefit is the 1%....as they take advantage of cuts that don't expire.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

What you were told was everyone sees a tax cut up front, then the bottom phases out over time, while the top's cut don't.

Grats on looking at a 2018 tax analysis to confirm this.

15. NewRoxFan

And when trump and his minions stand up and lie like this...

IBTL likes this.
  16. Commodore

17. B-Bob

I hate to ask, "does anyone in America actually believe this, when all the data clearly shows the biggest breaks are at the top?" but I know the answer to my question.

Yes, 32% of US Americans believe that Trump will personally be hurt by the tax bill, because he says so.

18. B-Bob

It seems like the single largest % cut may be for married people making about $250-300k together.
    They go from 33% to 24%. Not sure I understand the rationale, since those people aren't really middle class. Are they suburban GOP donors? I don't think so.

Lots of young techy couples maybe? Maybe some older engineering family types? A lawyer with an underemployed spouse? Or some urbanites who will then pay more on the lost deductions?

Would just like to understand their strategy there.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Nope. what I quoted has tax cuts to 2025.

According to what i quoted, bottom 2 quintile the tax cut gets larger over time and top 3 quintile goes down.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sorry was looking at the other item you quoted.

I see you need a lesson on averages now, in your newest round of intentional dense-ness.

"The lowest quintile gets an average tax cut of $70"

Lowest Quintile A - Tax savings of $150
    Lowest Quintile B - Tax savings of $100
    Lowest Quintile C - Tax increase of $40

C suffers from taxation,

Furthermore, A, B and C suffer now due to the repeal of the individual mandate and expected increase in healthcare premiums.

This tax legislation is an abortion.