1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will the window be closed?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Nov 25, 2018.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Who in the **** bumped this?!

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He was worse in 2023 than 2022. Not bad, just worse. Mostly in the field where he went from plus plus to eh?

3. raining threes

True, but if he can scout like he did with the Braves the window will be open for at least another 5-7 years. He has to be Luhnow good though.

I wonder how Crane looks at things, I could see him saying lets stay within the cap and make our major moves at the deadline for the next couple of years, then sell the team.

4. raining threes

Agreed, but I think it's more likely that they trade for pitching if they need it and try to develop guys like Decenzo, Loperfido, Baez, Gomez etc... do they have any great young pitching prospects in the low minors? If not this is where Brown needs to focus his draft, international signings. International pitching is a big reason why the Stros are where they're at today.

Does the Stros system have depth? Nope, but they do have 4-5 quality guys like Baez where if things workout the team should be top tier for a while. This is how good of a job Luhnow did and the kind of job Brown needs to do for this run to continue.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

How the Astros keep the window open by resigning Altuve, Bregman, Valdez, AND Tucker.

This exercise is to determine a way the 2026 Astros has all 4 of those players and keep the CBT payroll below the 1st tier. 2026 CBT tiers are: $244M/$264M/$284M.

GOAL= STAY UNDER $244M

Let's give the following contracts to our 4 stars:
    Altuve: 6ys/$120M ($20M AAV)
    Bregman: 8yrs/$240M ($30M AAV)
    Tucker: 10yrs/$300M ($30M AAV)
    Valdez: 6yrs/$150M ($25M AAV)
    =$105M
    * we can get into whether these are good or realistic and how I determined them later.

Player benefits, 40 man roster- minor leaguers, and the pre-arb bonus pool = $21.917M.

Current guaranteed contracts= $49.967M for McCullers, Yordan, and Javier.

We are at $176.884M = $67.116 remaining and we need 19 players.

The current roster has 14 players who will be arbitration eligible: Dubon, Chas, L.Garcia, B.Abreu, Bielak, Meyers, Pena, S.Martinez, Coleman, Singleton, Brown, Y.Diaz, Ortega, and Musinski.

Let's just say Bielak, Martinez, Coleman, Singleton, Ortega, and Musinski have been cut loose because they can be replaced by better and/or cheaper players. Furthermore, Dubon, and Meyers will be traded for salary relief.

Remaining players and estimated arb salary:
    Chas: $14M (Anthony Santander's deal +20%)
    Garcia: $6M (Ranger Suarez's deal +20%)
    B.Abreu: $8.8M ( Paul Sewalt's deal + 20%)
    Pena: $10.4M ( Willie Adame's 2nd arb yr +20%)
    Brown: $2M (Tristom McKenzie deal +20%)
    Y.Diaz: $6.3M (Will Smith's 1st arb deal +20%)
    = $47.5M

$19.616M remains for 13 players and min salary is $780K = $10.14M.

$9.476M under budget to sign a FA or extend a young player.

Roster:
    C: Y.Diaz
    1B: (Dezenzo)
    2B: Altuve
    3B: Bregman
    SS: Pena
    LF: Chas
    CF: (Melton)
    RF: Tucker
    DH: Yordan
    B/U C (Palma)
    bench (3 of Corona, Wagner, Kessinger, Loperfido, Barber, Cole, Leon, etc)

SP:Framber, Javier, Brown, McCullers, Garcia, (Arrighetti or France)

Bullpen: Abreu (6 of: Sousa, Blanco, Dubin, Whitley, Tamaraz, Gordon, Kouba, Knorr, Dombroski, A.Taylor, Bross, Ullola and many more)

Dana Brown needs to give me a call, lol.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You very well might be right

BUT

If we are going to put a lesser talented than possible team on the field in 2024, when we are one of the absolute favorites to win the whole thing, in order to get better comp picks that could potentially help us in 2028 or so, that is absolutely insane. The success rate of the players taken in the top comp pick level isn't very good as it is.

Again, i'm not saying you are wrong, but if Crane's whole reason for refusing to get into the tax is to get a higher comp pick, he isn't nearly as smart as I thought.

We as Astros fans are spoiled into thinking we will always be a favorite or something. These chances like we have this year don't come around for most teams very often.

I think it's more likely that Crane doesn't want to pay the tax, since he never has paid it

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. The Beard

I think if he scouts like he did with the Braves it would help open up another window soon, but it isn't likely that we will have anyone he drafts be ready to step in for Bregman/Tucker/Altuve/Framber if none of them are extended.

Also, we have to be getting close to not being able to make major moves at the deadline. I think it helped us alot that JV wanted to come back here, so it wasn't truly a trade him for the best package deal. And in that deal we gave up our 1 truly top ranked prospect we had left.

Without a doubt we have guys that can bring back a pen piece and things like that, but we aren't going to be able to outbid many, if any, other contenders when it comes to deadline deals. As much as we still get excited by some of the guys in our system, truth is overall we are pretty weak when it comes to prospects.

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

That is a great point.

But looking at this team, and the available players, what makes sense?

Because of the trade deadline and ability to add players for specific needs after those have been determined, I look at 2 completely different situations.

Off season: build a team with the best possible chance to make the playoffs/win a division/get a bye.

In season: upgrade a team to have the best chance to win a World Series.

So considering the current playoff chances, the available players, and the budget/ability to potentially add in-season what good options are there that are worth losing that comp pick?

There are a few I'm sure but not many.

9. raining threes

I think Baez has the opportunity to become a great player. I'm hoping Brown can bring back Bregs and Altuve. If not Decenzo or Wagner will have to come through.

Main thing is they've got to add pitching throughout all avenues.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree that Baez has a chance to be special but still has work to do before we know for sure - is he Richard Hidalgo or is he Eric Anthony?

I think the system has several position players who are very likely to be solid 5th to 13th best position players on a team, but precious few with star type ceiling.

There are several young guys in rookie ball who impressed in 2023, hopefully a couple of them continue to progress stateside. If so, this system could catapult up the rankings quick. But it's a big IF.

As for pitching, there are several 2022 and 2023 draftees that have a chance to take the next step.

2023 will be a huge year for these former college pitchers, and rookie ball hitters to see how much they can improve their stock.

raining threes likes this.
  11. raining threes

I'm thinking Baez and Gomez have a chance to be special. I like Decenzo and Loperfido as well.

12. The Beard

Better question is who forced you to click on it?

raining threes likes this.
  13. The Beard

We wouldn't lose the pick, it would just be moved to later in the draft, right?

14. The Beard

Quick view of several MLB drafts

If we aren't in the tax we would pick after Competitive Balance Round B

Didn't do the last few drafts cause many of those guys can still make it, started with 2020

2020 Comp Picks: A Burleson is the only one of six that has made it. Early still for the others, but none of them are top prospects
    2019 Comp Picks: jimmy Lewis was the only one, hasn't done anything
    2018 Comp Picks: 4 of them, none have made the big leagues
    2017 Comp Picks: D Varsho
    2016 Comp Picks: J Miranda, A Badoo, J Fraley

On 2017 and 2016 there was no Competitive Balance round so those picks were a little higher than what they would be now, but even counting those that is 5 big league players/top prospects out of 5 years worth, none of which have been difference makers

Now just looking at Comp Picks is a tiny sample size, and at that point of the draft it's likely that a different team picking there takes a different player, so let's look at round 3 (players who would have been available) and round 5 (players available where the pick would come if we went into the tax)

2020 Round 3: K Harrison is the only one who is a top prospect
    2020 Round 5: B Pfaadt is the only one who has made it or is a top prospect

Harrison has the higher ceiling, but all things considered not much difference, and the bigger thing is that is 2 of 60 players that have done anything

2019 Round 3: S Steer, M Harris
    2019 Round 5: Hunter Brown

Two good players in round 3 out of 30, 1 in round 5. Harris and Brown both have huge ceilings, Steer is likely to be a solid pro for a long time

2018 Round 3: K Clemens, C Raleigh, J Pena
    2018 Round 5: Taj Bradley, S Kwan, M Vierling

6 out of 60 players have made it, honestly not sure which group i'd rather have but probably the round 5 group with the potential upside of Bradley. Both have two very valuable players in it though

2017 Round 3: No one has made it
    2017 Round 5: No one has made it

So looking at all of that, I find it hard to believe that the reason Crane refuses to go into the tax is because it would back up a potential comp pick for losing guys. The odds of it making a difference are just so small

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That’s an awful lot of words to say “if Houston can develop an entirely homegrown elite bullpen and 2 above average everyday position players in the next 3 years, the window can stay open.”

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Nice !!!

Always like a smile first thing in the morning.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Correct. The pick(s) woukd he about 100ish further down in the draft.

It would be the difference between a pick at the end of the 1st rd vs a pick at the end of the 4th rd.

18. The Beard

Actually it's later than that now

If you are a non tax payer and not a revenue sharing recipient, your pick comes after competitive balance round B
    Round 1
    Comp pick 1 (only for revenue sharing recipients)
    Competitive Balance Round A
    Round 2
    Competitive Balance Round B
    Comp Pick 2 (where we would pick if we don't go into the tax)

Astrofan59 likes this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The thing about the MLB amateur draft is that there are always high instances of players who never make it. There is still a long way to go and several difficult hurdles between high school/college and MLB.

All an organization can do is draft the players higher on their list, trust, and hope.

Of course that 100 pick difference is likely to drop that pick dozens further down that list.

Fangraphs (or ANY rating/ranking organization) is not the end all be all, but I use it because the information is easy to find and filter.

In 2023, Fangraphs had
    60 grade: 1
    55 grade: 2
    50 grade: 4
    45+ grade: 6
    45 grade: 27 (14-40)
    40+ grade: 29 (41-69)
    40 grade: 51
    35+ grade: 32

60 = borderline all star / #3 SP / elite closer
    55= above average / #3-4 SP / Average closer
    50= average regular / #4 SP / Good S-U RP
    45= platoon- utility /#5 SP / lesser S-U RP
    40= bench / swing / middle RP
    35= AAAA
    30= No MLB Value.

So Fangraphs projects 152 players drafted last year to be MLB caliber with 69 of them to be likely to stick on a roster as at least a bench/ bullpen role. Only 40 project to be regular or platoon starters.

What kind of value is it to have a pick between 31-40 instead of 131-140? The difference between a 45 or 35+ graded prospect is pretty huge.

20. The Beard

Cool

But in reality that isn’t how it has turned out

And again, the pick wouldn’t be between 31-40 anymore, the first comp pick round is after Competitive Balance round A which follows round 2

IdStrosfan likes this.