1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will the McNairs....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Aug 16, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Ask for a new stadium??

I just saw the new renderings for lowly Titan's new stadium and I know there is a history between both franchises.

NRG was built over 21 yrs ago, many other stadiums have been built during that timeframe and I think sometime in the near future, the McNair's are going to request a new stadium but where and when?

I definitely think the Astrodome needs to be torn down at some point and they need to add a nearby hotel and other attractions in that area.

Uprising likes this.
  2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do they really need a new stadium? I haven't been to a game in a year or so but my recollection of the stadium is it is still in pretty good shape and looks nice. It's certainly functional. There was the whole turf debacle but I don't think that's reason enough to build a new stadium.

IBTL, War Machine, Tuckmose and 6 others like this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I guess my question would be Why? not sure we need it, but then again... what qualifies as needing a new stadium.

4. Newlin

Newlin Member

Not anytime soon. The dome needed to be replaced because it was a multipurpose stadium that was awful for football. NRG is good for football.

The problem is the Astrodome is just a huge eyesore that takes up valuable space. Convert that space to something that greatly enhances the game day experience and then everyone benefits.

macho GRANDE and hlmbasketball like this.
  5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

NRG is still fairly modern imho

Uprising and ROCKSS like this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Early on in the NFL a team could occupy a stadium for 40yrs - 50yrs but in today's climate its different. A 30yr old stadium is considered a dungeon. And from my estimate about 10 - 12 stadiums have been built since 2010, that equates to 1/3 of the NFL teams.

In addition, I found this regarding the Bills and their requests to build a new stadium in the USA TODAY

How often do NFL teams build new stadiums?

about once every 27 years

Bradbury said teams are building new stadiums about once every 27 years, and the Bills are just one of many NFL teams who could be on the move.Mar 31, 2022
    upload_2023-8-16_8-38-17.png
    https://www.usatoday.com › nfl › n...

raining threes likes this.
  7. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

NRG still looks and feels modern and has been kept up nicely so far. This is completely unnecessary.

vince, War Machine, Uprising and 2 others like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Little sprucing up and she’s still a top tier stadium.
    One emulated by many other cities

Uprising, ROCKSS and raining threes like this.
  9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NRG is still hosting big events like the Final Four and Super Bowl. They'll probably start rattling the sabres once those bids dry up.

MadMax and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think this will be the outcome. The Astrodome will be torn down and hopefully a hotel or a museum show casing all the events that were held in the Astrodome and NRG. But we're still waiting for someone to buy the old Astroworld site!

macho GRANDE likes this.
  11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Stadiums aren't easily built like homes. It probably takes years of planning before even breaking ground. Not to mention finding a profitable location. NRG also seems to be well taken care of and not sure tax payers are willing to pay for a new stadium. Especially sense they refuse to let go of the Astrodome.

With that said, I would the Texans getting a new stadium. Pearland seems like a nice location (only because I'm moving there soon).

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Doesn’t the rodeo own it and isn’t it a parking lot?

Parking! Get yer parking!
    [​IMG]

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I missed that transaction. I use to office nearby when the property was for sale. There were talks of turning it into another theme park or a hotel at one time.

However, to let it sit there is a just a waste. When you visit other NFL venues and see whats being proposed elsewhere, you see the potential over on Main St and think of all of the possibilities.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

How long ago was this?

I remember the theme park plan being scrapped a bout 5 years ago. Then, the plan was to open Grand Texas Theme Park in New Caney. The waterpark was built but nothing afterwards.

15. raining threes

As long as the McNair's pay for tearing down the Dome and building a New stadium, then I'm on board. Fat chance of this happening.

16. raining threes

As long as the McNair's pay for tearing down the Dome and building a New stadium, then I'm on board. Fat chance of this happening.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

NRG can have a major renovation. That will be the next step. Part of that renovation will probably include something being done with the Astrodome (parking lot, festival space, whatever).

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It'll be decades until they are even in the market for a new stadium, but I expect some major renovations every 5 years or so and minor renovations every year.

Uprising, red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

NRG is perfectly fine.

20. conquistador#11

we need better landscape for the outdoor training camp facilities. I'm thinking palm trees. Can coconut trees grow in Houston?
    And a huge sea world like swimming pool for our boy John Mcclain .

raining threes likes this.