1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When Tari & Brooks get healthy, there is a big decision to make

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Jan 12, 2024.

?

Do we...

1. Move Green to a 6th man role and let Cam start

17.7%
  2. Keep Green as a starter, but give Cam all of Tate's minutes

58.1%
  3. Let Cam play on a situational basis off the bench, short leash for Green & Tate

22.6%
  4. Keep the rotation as it was before the injuries, give Tate & Green a bit more time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Send Cam back to G-league

1.6%
  6. Other (explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Simply, there just wont be enough minutes to go around.
    What happens then largely depends on how ready you (Ime) think Cam is for valuable starter minutes and how you feel about Tate and Green.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

FTR This is what Clutch's estimation is based on Tari's minutes restriction still in place

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cam and Green should be in a battle for the starting spot....competition is good.

DD

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Is it REALLY that hard? You move Cam into Tate's spot and if he earns more minutes you give him more minutes. If he earns the starting spot you give it to him.

I think the team was always expecting Tate to become unnecessary soon.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Here is the thing though, once you dont play Tate at all, his value plummets. We might want to work out trading Tate before the above scenario occurs. Once Tate is gone, then yes, it seems pretty strait forward. But again, we need to maximize value for all our players, including those we plan to trade.

As for things that dont seem hard, getting a better backup 5 doesnt seem hard, but we are all still waiting, aren't we?

#5 jim1961, Jan 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    Mr.Scary likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Tate's value stays steady regardless. He's an undersized big/tweener who can handle the ball who generally plays hard that can't stretch the floor consistently. He'll have the same exact role on any other team looking to win more games than not. All limited/spot minutes if in the rotation

He isn't a young rook or young guy with any type of upside. Teams already know what he can do and what he can't. He's exactly who he is. the biggest hit to his actual value would be an injury or him deciding to just not care about basketball anymore. His contract is also pennies that has one year remaining on it

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

im ok with green spending time learning the game with the vipers

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Rockets: Trade targets

Scotto: They could use a backup big man and maybe some more shooting. They have Victor Oladipo’s expiring contract and the flexible and tradeable contract of Jock Landale. They’re looking to make a starting-caliber upgrade if they can with those salaries, from what I’ve heard.

Marks: There’s a reason why Oladipo wasn’t waived. He has an $9.5 million expiring contract, and you can use it. They’ve got all those Brooklyn picks, which you’ve got to temper moving off them based on where the Nets are. They can say they want to see where this group is in April. If they’re a Play-In Tournament team, how do they react to big games down the stretch? Or what can Oladipo and Landale, who combine to make $17 million, and you can bring back $23 or $24 million in a trade if you want. They’ve been active every year.

Houston: Victor Oladipo, Jock Landale, Jeff Green, Reggie Bullock

The Houston Rockets spurred their rebuild with key offseason free agent additions of Fred VanVleet and Dillon Brooks, the hiring of coach Ime Udoka, and the rapid development of center Alperen Sengun.

Looking ahead to the February trade deadline, Houston will look to continue upgrading its roster with the tradeable contracts of Victor Oladipo, Jock Landale, Jeff Green, and future draft pick(s) compensation, league sources told HoopsHype.

Oladipo is on an expiring $9.45 million deal, Landale is owed $8 million this season and includes no guaranteed money next season, and Green is owed $9.6 million this season and has a team option and a non-guaranteed clause in his contract for next season, per our Rockets salaries page.

While Zach LaVine is one of the top names on the market, the Rockets are not in on his sweepstakes, HoopsHype has learned.

It’s also worth noting that over the past few seasons Jae’Sean Tate has also drawn exploratory trade interest from several playoff-caliber teams, league sources told HoopsHype.

Lastly, before signing with Houston, Reggie Bullock had interest from several teams, including the Bucks, Heat, Celtics, Clippers, and Pelicans, league sources told HoopsHype. Given his proven 3-and-D capability and current role in Houston, he’s also a name to watch.

9. Holybats

Holybats Member

Cam should start.

DaDakota likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah. Tate has to go. If they wait, he will just rot at the end of the bench.

Patience and plegus like this.
  11. invocux

invocux Member

Once Tari and/or Dillon is back Tate should be out of rotation and Cam should get all his minutes.

Jontro and plegus like this.
  12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Right now I say give Cam Tate's minutes off the bench. Green has shown improved facilitation and works well with Sengun, so I'd like to keep him in starting lineup.

Obviously, start either Cam or Jeff Green while Brooks is still out.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am pretty certain that Whitmore has learned to be patient, I am not buying into all of this playing time dilemmas.....

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So glad to see everyone getting on board the Cam train.....TOOT TOOT !

DD

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

My position is if someone has to sit on that bench and be a cheerleader, give me the guy who is competitive and hard working. He'll be better at motivating in practice and on the bench. Keeping the culture strong. Someone's gotta not get minutes anyway. Let's pay someone with good intangibles and attitude. If we have injuries, he's a good fill in. Right now if we had Tari back, Tate becomes a perfectly acceptable emergency backup SF.

We have Oladipo, Landale, Bullock and a $4.5m TPE. I'll take Tate as 3rd stringer over those guys.

If we need him to match salaries for a backup C or the trade partner demands he's included, by all means we should trade him. As far as minutes go, he's likely not getting them here anymore. I doubt we will need more than the $20m Landale/Dipo/Bullock make to shore up our depth in a trade.

comrade likes this.
  16. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

He is going to shock the NBA and be an all-star. Every single team will regret passing on him outside of San Antonio.

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Same can be said about anyone (Landale? Bullock?) but 5-6 players have to sit on that bench outside the rotation. Playoff teams have depth like that.

Also he's worth a second rounder at most. Not even a protected first. I'm not worried about his value marginally fluctuating from that. He's expiring anyway. Having good insurance depth is worth something. Imagine we didn't have him right now, we'd be running Cam/Jalen to guard the best wings in the NBA. That would be far worse than Tate starting imo.

We only need a backup C and I'd rather trade Bullock/Dipo/Landale for that. Good we have all these options though. Who knows what trade opportunities come up.

A_3PO likes this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree with you in most respects, I wouldn’t give him away for nothing, but I would trade him and second round pics for a legit backup big. After the all-star break or sooner, we should be running Amen, Cam, Tari, and either Je. Green or legit backup center as a supercharged kaos inducing second unit. You include 1 or 2 of the starters with this group (situationally) and we dominate bench units, which is extremely underrated by most fans.

Amen especially is a waste playin sf. He is a PG pure and simple. I also still support getting a Caruso or Brogdon and moving Jalen to the bench. FVV is a slow down PG and Caruso or Brogdon would fit great in our offense. Then you have a bench of Amen, Jalen, Cam, and Tari. Wow!

Mathloom likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yeah I'm excited for how the bench is looking. Cam looks like he can be the lead scorer for the bench, we can live with his tunnel vision and team defense in the role.

I want that unit to RUN though. In the slow half court, they would suck without Sengun or FVV.

20. plegus

plegus Member

More like a CAMZILLA riding a MAGLEV, all should either get out of the way or jump on it.