1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When all is said and done, who will be more disappointing: Ken Giles or Ty Lawson?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RHU525, Apr 25, 2016.

?

Ken Giles or Ty Lawson

1. Ken Giles

27 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Ty Lawson

50 vote(s)
    64.9%
  1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Turned a dominant organization into crap huh

2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Good thing we gave up two starters for Ken Giles... At least our starting rotation is solid :rolleyes:

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

lol, funny, and it was 3, Eshelman has a 1.80 ERA with a whip under 1

So it was VV, Appel and Eshelman, ouch.

4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Damn I forgot about the 3rd... Can this season be over already?

5. Ridge94-95

Ridge94-95 Member

6. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

I never liked this trade. Why would the Phillies trade him unless they knew he was not that good. The Phillies Fleece us on this one.

7. Ridge94-95

Ridge94-95 Member

But this isn't over yet. It's too early to close the book. Lawson was traded for and cut because he was bad. That's the worse deal of the two so far.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They traded him because he was a valuable asset that could be leveraged to accelerate their rebuilding.

Bad teams don't need elite closers.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Then I s'pose our bad Astros are fine with their ****ty closer.

10. TOP

TOP Member

With Velasquez's(23yrs) 1.44 era on the Phils and Appel's(24yrs) 3.00 era in triple A, he might have to be a hall of fame candidate for this trade to be even remotely acceptable.

Also, Tom Eshelman(21yrs) 2 round pick doing well in the lower level of the minors. And Harold Arauz(20yrs) who is doing even better than Eshelman down in the minors.

Giles era of damn near 10 in comparison, ollie crap.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is the only loss right now for this current team. The rest of those guys were not going to be on this team any time soon (including Appel, who still would fall below Devenski and Feliz).

The guy can't make a rebuilding Phillies roster right now... its a little big presumptuous to think he's back to being the #1 pick that deserved a $6 million dollar bonus. At this point, he should be envious of Luke Hochevar's career path.

12. TOP

TOP Member

Appel hasn't lived up to the hype but some people still hold out hope after his career at Stan and being a top pick. Plus another 2nd pick. That gives them value alone for teams that are looking to strike lightning in a bottle. We just gave them all up on top of Velasquez though when even just Elsheman alone was too much given how Giles is panning out :(

The Phils took a player with little career behind him to back up his success as if he's a stud to con a our Astros out of a massive haul of talent that could have been used for other trades or just keep them in the minors. Playing in a bad NL division probably helped Giles too I imagine. Unless their division wasn't as bad as I remember it being. I know Braves started stinking. Phils started stinking. Mets started doing well.

I don't know. We obviously all want was it best for the Astros and with none of us having a say, lets hope together management figures it out and corrects it. Or Giles himself and a few the other players slumping figure it out. To be honest, of the Astros that were on the team last year, I've probably been most disappointed Marwin and Gattis. I know they can hit for a better average than what they are or at least we've seen them do it. Great to see Marwin get it going tonight. Good to see Springer back doing well at least. Carlos Gomez still sucking, he's a good fielder and has an arm so he's cool on D but his bat has been weak. Oh, and Altuve! lol I love that little dude hitting homers like he's Bagwell or something. He's on pace for damn near 50 home runs loool amaaazing.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Appel - a #1 overall pick with four years of college - is just 10 months younger than Giles and has yet to log an inning in the Majors.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I know, right?

Within the same post, Giles is criticized for being a young player "without much career behind him to backup his success"... but Appel is a guy that deserves to hold out hope for...

15. 713

713 Member

Giles has looked competent these past few games. Let's hope he can sustain it.

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Eshelman's last 3 games as a 22 year old in A ball:

6.48 ERA, .313 BA against, 5 HR

But of course we don't see any posts from you on this.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Ty Lawson trade doesn't have a Vince Velasquez

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Per LZ, an MLB exec texted him &amp; said Luhnow has a reputation around the league for giving talent away. Take it for what it's worth. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a></p>&mdash; Brian (@BHam1720) <a href="https://twitter.com/BHam1720/status/732183420621737984">May 16, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>