1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what's your feelings on this...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pocketrocket81, Jan 24, 2017.

1. pocketrocket81

Jacoby Jones, Gary Kubiak, Wade Phillips and now Matt Schaub has a chance for a super bowl ring. Even Trindon Holliday came close to getting to the big game. I personally am happy for them but it also makes me frustrated to think that players and coaches leave Houston and then have success.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Owen Daniels. David Carr. Dom Capers.

I'm sure every franchise has this.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I feel like the owner can't identify talent

Houstunna and pocketrocket81 like this.
  4. pocketrocket81

I forgot those Nimo.But yeah your right I am sure every franchise has this but we have been in the league for a short time to have this many in my opinion.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Brooks Reed, Baby Shan.....

On a side note, Owen Daniels was a beast even when he was here. I miss that guy.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Don't care. Players move around all the time.

It would probably be different if we kicked a guy out of town and he became a star thereby exposing it as a huge mistake, but clearly that's not the case with Schaub.

macho GRANDE and RasaqBoi like this.
  7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

You know who is not on this list? Andre Johnson... Arian Foster. It's like if they were awesome here, they left and sucked. If they sucked here, they went and got better or at least got on better teams.

8. hou96

hou96 Member

It's definitely not on the Owner. I think Rick Smith does a great job with his Round 1 picks and UDFA guys but really tends to miss a lot in rounds 2-4. That can really hurt you if you want to be a consistent contender because there are a lot of quality players available in those rounds.

9. the shark

the shark Member

It's "not on the owner"?

Who does Rick Smith report to?
    Who has the power to fire Smith?

Smith is who he is, and it's ALL on the owner for keeping him around.

10. hou96

hou96 Member

Well right, but just blaming it on the owner does not get anything done really. McNair had the chance to fire RS a few years ago and did not do so. The picks themselves are being made by Smith and not McNair. Our owner is not "bad at evaluating talent" because he hires people to do that.

The people he hired have done a poor job in Rounds 2-4, and that has set the team back. His failure to recognize this, however, might be a problem. I'm not sure if its a failure to recognize the issue or a satisfaction with being 9-7 and making the playoffs but not reaching higher.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The players listed here, and most of theothers listed elsewhere in this thread, are not contributing greatly to their current team's success. I mean... Matt Schaub? Really? If he plays, the Falcons are NOT winning a Super Bowl ring.

The only "one that got away" element is Kubiak - but the Texans gave him every opportunity to hoist that trophy here and I can't fault them for bailing on him. He underachieved in '09 and bottomed-out in '10: he was lucky to get a second chance in '11 and '12. Losing the team in '13 was a death-knell.

vinsensual and Nimo like this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

Schaub and Jones is more luck of the draw. Jones got lucky and landed in Baltimore but wasn't long for the league. Schaub is more of an assistant qb coach for Kyle Shannahan than an actual qb so I don't feel like these guys finding their way to Superbowl success is an indictment for the lack of qualified talent evaluators. The product being presented on the offensive side of the ball however, is

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

I agree here. Maybe Jacoby to a lesser talent but his steep dropoff after getting the ring still makes you think it was the right decision.

This just shows how people want to blame Rick Smith for everything. So if a player is picked/signed by a team and doesn't do well in his first team but does much better in his second team, that's an indictment on the first team's coaching staff. Not the player or the team for selecting the player. You should blame the coaching staff for not taking those players as far as their new team did. Harbough had no problem riding Jacoby's punt returns to the superbowl after he was fumbling away here. But like was said above, the players mentioned weren't the reasons their new teams made it to the big game.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is weak. There are so many players in the NFL that change teams, every team in the NFL has guys, whether offensive linemen, special teams or stars that go on to have success elsewhere. Shoot, even the Patriots have had guys go on to success elsewhere despite the meme that they don't. Just last year Aqib Talib won the superbowl on that Broncos team after leaving the Pats. Don't even know all of their special teams guys that they just churn constantly.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That's Houston sports for ya.

16. Hey Now!

That's sports for ya. Do you honestly think this ONLY happens to Houston sports teams?

RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is one of the weaker excuses to complain that I've seen here so far, which says a lot. Why would someone feel any kind of way about a former Texans starting QB being a backup QB on a SB team years later? Even worse, why would someone care about a punt returner that actively cost the Texans a chance at the SB ending up on a SB team years later?

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nope. It just happens to Houston a lot.

19. Hey Now!

No, it doesn't. It happens to EVERY sports team, every year. Hell, you realize Bill Belicheck was once the Brown's coach, right?...

20. the shark

the shark Member

My indictment of Rick Smith is he's had plenty of time to try and build a roster that can truly compete for a SB. They STILL have an issue at qb. Time to part ways. However we all know that McNair won't fire him. As for players moving on to other teams and having success that happens to every team in the NFL.