1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's Your All-Time Favorite Arcade Game?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jun 11, 2020.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

i did it and it came back with a bunch of gay stuff (try it key word "p*rn" and "cruisin")that i had a bit of a time filtering through.
    this brazilian chick with big knockers came up too but i dont think its her..
    so no unless you are a p*rn expert ( i suspect you might have dabbled) and can provide link

2. Buck Turgidson

google "girl at end of cruisin usa video game" and click the 1st link (imdb)

IBTL likes this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

ok yeah ..if you had said big nips brunette from babes illustrated 5 it would have clicked

KingCheetah, Blake and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Thank you, I guess, for making me find out that imdb has pages for adult "actresses"

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Shyla Foxx

Slightly NSFW
    [​IMG]

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You should tell your wife

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Ran into this guy at a Voodoo Donuts in Milwaukie, Oregon... (was down for the count due to the covid)...

[​IMG]

8. Xerobull

I love the green t-molding. Not original but it really pops.

boomboom likes this.
  9. Xerobull

10. Xerobull

25 years later, Midway’s lost “MLB Jam” arcade game has been found

Includes oral history of unreleased Power-Up Baseball: Cool trackballs, bad business.

[​IMG]

By the end of the 1990s, you couldn't throw a quarter in most malls without hitting an NBA Jam or NFL Blitz cabinet. "Arcade sports" became a full-blown sensation, and hockey, soccer, and tennis received their own high-speed arcade conversions. But that list of American sports sure seems to be missing its slice of arcade apple pie, doesn't it?

You may have wondered for years why baseball never got an "MLB Jam" equivalent during that golden arcade era. Turns out, the sport got close. Thanks to the Video Game History Foundation, a new ROM has been unearthed for 1996's lost Midway arcade game, Power-Up Baseball, and some of its former devs have explained what exactly happened with its development and cancellation.

A rare pair of trackballs

The story begins with VGHF, which we've talked about at Ars, continuing its dive into a massive pile of unearthed code fragments stored by the family of late games developer Chris Oberth. Today's VGHF blog post points to how this collection mostly focuses on Oberth's personal code contributions to various game projects, as opposed to compiling entire teams' collective code. One project proved an exception to that rule: a single CD-ROM with the word "baseball" handwritten in marker.

FURTHER READING
    Lost “Sega VR” game unearthed, made playable on modern VR headsetsThis was a goldmine for the seemingly lost Midway game, full of source code, art assets, and compiled ROMs. This build of Power-Up Baseball, dated from 1996 and built for Incredible Technologies' custom 32-bit arcade platform, precedes the eventual "arcade baseball" action of MLB Slugfest 2003 by a considerable margin. (After learning about its existence, Ars' Kyle Orland pulled off a tricky reverse look-up at archive.org to see that the game was known, albeit quite forgotten.)
    As part of today's information dump, VGHF has put together a lengthy two-player video (embedded below) showing how the near-complete build worked... which unfortunately makes clear why the game never saw a retail launch. The game was built largely by the aforementioned Incredible Technologies, an arcade game maker you may better know as the people behind Golden Tee, as a Chicago-area partnership with Midway. In interviews with VGHF, members of the PUB design team make clear that one very Golden Tee-like aspect is not evident in the uncovered ROM, and it allegedly helped with the game's arcade fun factor: a pair of trackballs built into many of the test cabinets.

Power-Up Baseball staff, as members of a hidden developer team within the game. (We've yet to hear about other hidden teams in the game, and we're pessimistic about finding the Wu-Tang Clan in here, given the game's 1996 launch. But, hey, we can dream.)" style="box-sizing: inherit; transition: all 0.17s ease 0s; color: rgb(255, 78, 0);">[​IMG]
    Enlarge
    / Members of the Power-Up Baseball staff, as members of a hidden developer team within the game. (We've yet to hear about other hidden teams in the game, and we're pessimistic about finding the Wu-Tang Clan in here, given the game's 1996 launch. But, hey, we can dream.)
    That use of a trackball to either wind up and toss pitches or crush them as home runs has never otherwise been replicated in a baseball game that we've ever seen. Sadly, nearly everything else about PUB had been done before—and arguably had been done to death on weaker home consoles like Sega Genesis by the time Midway's arcade version was sent out for consumer testing. An extra "power-up" button let players spend a slowly charging energy gauge to either throw wild pitches or add power to hits, but PUB didn't follow Midway's arcade-sports streak by letting players break the rules or shove each other, and the lack of 3D visual polish didn't help. The game's sole violent exception came from an intentional bean ball option, but this gave the hitter a free base instead of paying off for the pitcher or otherwise feeling like an NBA Jam shove-down.

FURTHER READING
    Saving video gaming’s source code treasures before it’s too lateProject Art Director Alan Noon points to issues with the game's 2D engine and its "Mode 7" perspective cheats as among its hiccups, along with the clunkiness of either trying to field a fly ball or manage baserunners. (In other words, slamming a trackball to belt out a home run offered more arcade-caliber fun than making an outfielder run over an empty field by himself.) Designer John Newcomer is more blunt about why the game stalled during its test phase: "You have to bring in a certain amount of quarters during primetime at the arcade." He and other staffers agree that PUB never figured out how to translate baseball's open-ended nature, with innings that can drag on, to something that would gobble as many quarters in a given amount of time as NBA Jam did. Changing the number of innings didn't change the core money-spending issue, either, the former staff says.
    The game's quarter-munching potential "was ultimately the big mistake we made," Newcomer adds. "We should have figured that out from the beginning."

the full VGHF report—which also includes instructions for how to compile your own version of the game.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Lengthy watch but pretty good if you like Galaga

Xerobull likes this.
  12. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Stargate Defender and Asteroids were the best growing up...........man, what memories

Xerobull and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Anyone remember Arch Rivals? The one where you could actually punch a guy in the face to steal the ball? Kermit Washington would have loved this one.

MadMax, boomboom and Xerobull like this.
  14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Killed a lot of college hours and more than a few quarters playing this game.
    [​IMG]

Buck Turgidson and Xerobull like this.
  15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Just reading this thread again with the bump. Tilt used to be Sergeant Singers

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

the gameplay on this coin eater sucked so hard

boomboom likes this.
  17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I will never forget my local comic book store in the neighborhood, was basically the local teen hangout.

One day, Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat showed up and there were lines out the door. Later the owners had a falling out and one moved in my friend (dating his mom), the Mortal Kombat machine came with him, set to free play. ****ing AMAZING summer.

I also recall pumping a ton of quarters into Gauntlet, that game was awesome.

Xerobull likes this.
  18. Xerobull

My buddies and I had in-depth planning discussions on how to break in to the local gas station through the back cinder-block wall after closing to steal the MK machine.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Your friend's very own "it's A Wonderful Life" where instead of "Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings". iI's every time you're meant to pump a quarter a man friend...