1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's Your All-Time Favorite Arcade Game?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jun 11, 2020.

1. noize

noize Contributing Member

Double Dragon is what got me into video game in the mid 80. Co-op with my brother almost already day at the local arcade during the summer. Parents was not too please with all of the constant begging for dollar bills.

Frome there I got into:

Contra
    Sky Shark
    Golden Axe
    Rygar
    Super Mario Brother
    Street Fighter
    Bad Dudes
    Final Fight
    Raiden

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

The real field of battle...

[​IMG]

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Putt-Putt on NASA Road 1 just closed.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It looks like another Coronavirus casualty albeit the website just said they are permanently closed after 40 years. That sucks.

Xerobull likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Was never a big arcade guy, would rather spend that money on something else but when I did play it was Defender and Galaga.

Joust just blew my mind, I never could figure out what the point was but I loved watching.

#85 jiggyfly, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    boomboom and Xerobull like this.
  6. Surfguy

I remember playing 2 - 3 hours on one quarter consistently playing Stargate at 7-Eleven. I practically lived there for a while as a young teen.

7. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

Tron, Defender, Paperboy and Punchout were favorites too.

CCity Zero, Surfguy, boomboom and 2 others like this.
  8. TAB

TAB Member

Loved Golden Axe, U.N. Squadron, Out Run, Virtua Fighter. Best bang for the buck though had to be Off Road, could play forever on that game - all the mods till the only thing you could buy was Nitro.

Xerobull likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Castor27 Needs Food Badly...

MORE QUARTERS

CCity Zero, Surfguy, Castor27 and 3 others like this.
  10. PhiSlammaJamma

I wonder if anyone still has their initials in an arcade somewhere. lol.

Xerobull likes this.
  11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I never played it but I can still hear those vocals from every arcade I stepped in back when I was a kid....

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

It's got to be Double Dragon for me, with honorable mention going to Golden Axe.

GRENDEL and Xerobull like this.
  13. Roscoe Arbuckle

Wish y'all would watch this series. It took them 4 years to do 1978 to 1989 video game history, and they did it really well. I'm disappointed it didn't get the views enough to continue.

GRENDEL and Xerobull like this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

56D86C39-CF53-45F5-A267-B85AB0DD3CE2.jpeg

I could beat Ghosts and Ghouls on one quarter. Played that too much.

Ahhhh man I can’t do it!! I guess Galaga was my first love. I used to play a tabletop version of it at my favorite pizza place when I was 8/9 ish.

“Santa” brought my boy’s a standup machine two years ago with 60 games and much of the classics on it. All the Donkey Kong’s, Pac Mans, centipede, Galaga and so on.

Also loved the Hockey game with the big dome on it, it played very well. Used to play that at West Oaks Mall all the time. Always dug Excitebike too. Love pinball, used to play Road Kings a lot. Far too many to list.

Every once in a while I’ll take the boys to an arcade on 45 near the Woodlands. They do nothing, but classic games mixed with new pinball

#94 mikol13, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    CCity Zero, Xerobull and GRENDEL like this.
  15. mikol13

Supporting Member

I got decent at this. First time I played it was at Gilley’s when I was very young. Yeah my dad took us to Gilley’s. o_O

CCity Zero, boomboom and Xerobull like this.
  16. Surfguy

Gauntlet was fun as you could have up to four players. But, it ate quarters like mad.

Dragon's Lair became pointless as soon as you finished it. It was simply a game to memorize all the moves and timing of moves. Of course, it took a lot of quarters to get to that point. But, as soon as you completed it, then that was that. There was no point in playing it again. You got the girl. :)

I remember playing Playboy pinball at my local 7-Eleven and got pretty good at it. There was a hot chick on the front of it with a big rack. This one time...this hot chick with a big rack became my personal cheerleader as I was kicking ass at it and she was rooting me on. It was a nice moment. :rolleyes:

In Clear Lake, there was an ice cream parlor that also had some video games...the best of both worlds. Forget the name of that place (KingCheetah?)? Lynn's or something. It was near the bowling alley close to the baseball fields and next to a Stop N Go (I think) and Pizza Hut. There was also a head shop in that section of stores at one time. You Laker's know what I'm talking about. I think a nice black lady owned the ice cream parlor. I spent a lot of time in there playing Miss Donkey Kong.

#96 Surfguy, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    CCity Zero, boomboom and Xerobull like this.
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

How much was that stand up one you got? Pretty cool. I would like to have an arcade but I guess the old man is coming out that want to sit lol. Supersprint might be the only stand game. i would and you can't drink or smoke playing that.

You can still get the hockey game. Looks like $1500 and up
    https://www.tablehockeyplanet.com/products/signature-stick-hockey-on-pedestal-red

I thought about driving to west oaks mall and sharpstown and have a walk around. I wonder if they are open to do that.

Surprised this one hasnt been mentioned it was an early staple

you brought up the arcade in woodlands that place has some good ones. They have the arcade version of punchout but not the one I like

mikol13 and Xerobull like this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I highly recommend the full-sized AtGames Legends Ultimate at $550. Control panel is good and it has a trackball and spinner. There's a better version at Sams if you have a membership (I got mine at Sams for $400, had to go and stand in line at 6 am in December but it was kind of fun). You can add in games on a USB thumb drive (message me if you can't find them on your own). If you need to sit, grab some bar stools with backs.

AtGames Legends Ultimate

[​IMG]

I used to own the Punch-Out!!! cabinet. It got old after a while and I sold it.

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Man that sounds enticing and 400-500 is feasible..pretty neat

20. mikol13

Supporting Member

I paid 600 I think for the standup if I remember right. It’s rock solid, not like those little knockoffs at WalMart. It plays perfectly.

The guy also makes another one with all fighting games. It’s totally worth it, and we have a blast with it. Might even be able to get it for a little less. I can check if interested.