1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the first food Yao Ming will look for when he gets to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dfbreyes, Oct 9, 2002.

1. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

A) Salted Fish and fried rice, crabs cooked salt and pepper, brocolli with oysters sauce

B) try American food like BIG BOY burger

C) finger foods like fried wanton

Kidding aside, what can they feed the giant to build muscles to put more meat on that 7'5" frame? New York cut steak, or Angus beef

Don't tell me you're gonna give him one of those milk shake diets that taste awful.

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Hear tell that Yao is a rib & steak(bbq?) man..dont kow how true it is, but he's comin to the right part of the country for it if it is! Maybe he can come have some of Behad;s bbq..:)

3. red

red Contributing Member

im sure they already have nutritionist lined up for yao once he gets here. from what i read about yaos personality he seems like the type of guy to pay attention and follow what the rockets suggest he should eat to gain more mass.

as far as behads bbq...im thinking about getting a smoker. one kind is good for small parties. mainly brisket and ribs. do you guard your brisket recipe or are you willing to share? ive heard even if you give the ingredients one still cant make it as good as you. i am willing to be a grasshopper and learn wise one...

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

It's not the ingredients, it's the cooking method. I use "Fiesta Brisket Rub" all over the brisket the night before. Then I smoke it for 10-12 hours, depending on the size, at 225 degrees ON MY THERMOMETER. That part is important, because all thermometers are different. You'll have to expiriment several times to find the right range of temperature. I use lump charcoal and pecan wood. That's it, but it takes a lot of trial and error. I cooked nearly 200 or so in my lifetime, so I've had practice.

My ribs are even better! Mmmmm....

Here is the barbecue bible: http://www.barbecuen.com/

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Hey red, I can hook ya up with a guy that will make ya a smoker to your specifications..I just got my big-ass horizontal, offset firebox smoker...I just tryed it out last weekend...What an awesome pit!..I highly recommend it..:D:D

btw Behad, what is the temp difference between the thermometer and the grill level...I've heard it's about 25-50 degrees..whats your take on it?

6. coke

coke Member

maybe some prime ribs will be nice!!!!

7. I h8 Logos

I h8 Logos Member

i heard yao say in an interview, IN ENGLISH, "steak".

well, at least we know he can survive on his own with limited english...

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I heard from day 1 that Yao actually has studied English and can speak it..he has used translators tomake sure that he was fully understood...This misconception that Yao speaks no English has got to stop.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

9. I h8 Logos

I h8 Logos Member

i know he speaks english, im just sayin that u dont hear him speaking it...ever

the interview that said he speaks english was on ESPNews with Rudy T. he said that yao speaks english, but didnt elaborate on how well, but it didnt matter because Rudy admitted that basketball language is understood by everyone in any language, so there.

anyway, yao needs to go to tony's and buy the most expensive wine on the list (which i believe is a french merlot dated 1856ish; over $100,000) with his new fat contract:D

10. Behad

I think it is higher than that. My point is not so much to cook at exactly 225 degrees, but to cook at a constant temperature, one that achieves the desired results. My thermometer may be off in either direction, but I use it to maintain the same temperature on the meat, whatever that may be. Location on the grill (closer or farther from the firebox) has a great deal to do with what temp you are cooking at as well. I keep my brisket at the far end, away from the firebox, so I am probably cooking lower than 225, but thru trial and error I found the right combination.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

It wasn't necessarily you that I was referring to...I have been hearing ppl talk like Yao doesn't know a lick of English and have kept quiet..When you alluded to pidgen english..I finally said something..no offense intended...
    I'm not sure how he can afford the wine, Chinese officials takin too much of his money..maybe Stevie will buy him some after his first triple-double...;)

Behad,
    I did ribs and sausage last weekend, I kept the ribs on the far end away from the firebox..and kept the temp at about 250(at the therm dead center of the lid) most of the time..it fluctuated up and down 25 degrees or so, but I'm tryin to get used to how it reacts to adding fuel and such..How big is yours? big enuff to handle all the food for Smegs World Tour? if we need extra room, I could get mine to league city easy...

12. Behad

It's not that big. The bigger they are the more fuel it eats up. I can cook three briskets at once, or one brisket and two racks or ribs. As for brigging it to League city, the plan now is to have the bbq and game downtown so that more people can attend. I'm planning on cooking Friday and just heating it up downtown on a smaller pit I have. Ideally, anyone who wants to cook should do it that way, unless you want to be cooking in downtown Houston at 4 in the morning. Not me! :)

Mine:

[​IMG]

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Judgin from that pic, mine's about the sam size..cept the firebox is on the other end..

Ok, I hadn't kept up with the latest plans...I hear ya, I sure wouldn't want to do that...Hell, why bother with the small pit? Get HP to heat it up, doesn't he live near DT? If we can trust him not to dry it out in the process.:D:p

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Yao Ming is strongly opposed to ANYTHING concerning alcohol. He wont even partake in any form in alcohol advertising.

15. Timing

Timing Member

Yetti can you name any current NBA player that endorses any form of alcoholic beverage? Yeah... exactly, nobody does. Beer companies are league and possibly team sponsors but players don't actively endorse those products for a reason. Let's not anoint Yao for Sainthood just yet eh.

Kobe: "Obey your thirst, drink Budweiser."

#15 Timing, Oct 10, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2002
  16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I sure think those barkley beer commercials are funny though.:)

17. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Caddilac Escalade

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

19. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

I hope it's not a steady diet of Cato rejections... :eek: ;)

I thought someone said he was a vegetarian in that no alcohol thread? :eek:

He's gonna be over there by the Rotisserie for Beef and Bird. That's good stuff. Or he can go down Westheimer and eat suishi at Kaneyama (I know it's Japanese). But he probably will like going to PF Chang's China Bistro right out there by Westside. Or when he's at the laptop he can eat at Hunan Chinese Restaurant in the Galleria. But probably he should go to Fu's Garden in the Village.

On this note, I used to see a lot of Rockets eat at the Houston's on Kirby near 59. Damn, I'm starving now! :D

20. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

What about Ziggy's Healthy Grill or Tien Ren with Rudy?