1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's Next?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by javal_lon, Jun 22, 2023.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Now that the draft excitement is over , the roster looks set .. For another long ass season... I know we have 60+ million in cap space, but should we do wirh it? Houston has never really been a destination for big time FAs in their primes , and honestly, I don't see any that can make a major difference anyway. What direction you think the front office going now ? Which would you prefer?

1. Sign a FA and attempt to trade some guys for more experienced playoff-ready players
    2. Sign a FA and see how it fits with the current roster.
    3. Trade for a player and stay with what remains from the transaction.
    4. Go with what you have , hope to show progression, and wait til the trade deadline to make a move.
    Or
    5. Go with what you have the whole season, reassess, make decisions after the season..

Corrosion, ramotadab and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Shooters and defenders I guess.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Trade: kpj for Pritchard?

Rocket River

AroundTheWorld and javal_lon like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Need a shot blocking back up center with size.
    Figure out the PG position and what KPJ role is on the team.
    See who rises to the top at small forward

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

6. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Overpay Lopez,
    Overpay FVV

We have no choice really. We need veterans and steady players. Our locker room got even younger.

7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

So you're thinking roll with what they have? .. I can dig it!.. Just hope that as much as we want progression from the youngins , it'll also filter out the players that need to be sent on their ways.

8. Rokman

Rokman Member

Review the roster and trim it down

Tier A
    Smith Jr.
    Green
    Thompson (not a fan. . . . Yet.)
    Sengun
    Eason
    Whitmore

Tier B
    Porter
    Tate
    Washington

Tier C
    Christopher
    Garuba
    Martin

I haven't given up on Tier B and Tier C just need their best to show up. I think with the right coaching any of those guys could potentially be starters but right now they're better off the bench. I think Washington has a lot more to show us than he had last year. I'm excited about his development. Just hope he drops the Michael Jackson haircut.

Get Udoka to ride these kids like a drill Sargeant in boot camp and let the best ones stay.

ramotadab likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

stand pat. stay at league minimum. develop the young guns under sudoku and sign big names next off season

eman, IvanLCPM, Dankstronaut and 9 others like this.
  10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

But within 2 years , we'll probably be making "I've Grown To Hate FVV and Lopez " threads.. lol .. But seriously, I like the Lopez option but I'm 100% against the FVV option..

#10 javal_lon, Jun 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    Tuckmose, harold bingo and eliefor3 like this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We're the worst shooting team in the league and just drafted one of the worst perimeter player shooters in draft - with a top 5 pick - in the year 2023.

We are also damn near the worst defensive team, we also significantly lack size, and we still have 0 NBA proven playmakers.

Our core players are all under 23 and won't be in there primes for 5 years. We have key young players at every single position who will need minutes

We don't have control over our draft picks over the coming 3 drafts

Those are the facts, digest it as you will, for me personally, Brook Lopez is a beyond obvious fit, as is Kyle Lowry, Seth Curry, Joe Ingles, JaMychal Green.

FVV or Harden could make sense but are expensive, will come with egos and with that bring some risk.

Moving Tate and Martin to clear room for the young guys + shooters makes sense

Just keep Dillon Brooks the **** out of here

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

We need vets and shooters. Any position. It doesn't matter.

PWR likes this.
  13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What's next?

Free Agency begins.

And then Summer League.

There's a LONG WAY to go in this off-season for the Rockets. If you think we're standing pat after draft day, you're nuts.

Deckard and sydmill like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Spend! Spend! Spend!
    Consolidate! Consolidate! Consolidate!

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I always thought a rebuild, unless you were lucky, was at least a 3-5 year process because you'd strike out on some stuff along the way. And even then, that's just to get into the playoffs - not necessarily win anything. I really don't care if they suck again as long as I see some improvement or hope. I do want some veterans on the team, but for me, it's more fun to watch "your own" that you drafted grow and succeed. If given the choice, I'd rather do that than have a Super Friends team which seems so artificial. As long as the vets serve their purpose and we hit on some of these picks, I'm cool.

Deckard, sydmill, fattz and 4 others like this.
  16. MultipleSauces

Facilitate a trade with Miami n Portland
    Lowry to hou
    Dame to Mia
    Kpj Tate kmj Duncan Robinson picks to por

then sign brook lopez

lowry / green / Eason / Jabari / sengun
    Amen / Christopher / Whitmore / Garuba / lopez
    Tyty

keeez likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly I don't see how they keep everyone on the roster happy, especially if Udoka gives out minutes based on merit instead of draft position.

The last 3 years we've drafted the better player with our second pick in the first round so there's going to be a lot of guys feeling entitled to start that don't deserve it.

We know how Silas would handle that, how will Udoka handle it?

18. 9baller

9baller Member

I'd say trade for Mikal Bridges.

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

My question is if you are bringing in Free Agents and spending big money, these are not bench players, so what current developing young talent is going to get stifled?

PG - Amen Thompson (4th Pick - Rookie) / TyTy Washington Jr. (30th Pick - 1 Year)

Fred Van Vleet or Harden may be able to come in and run the show but which one of those guys is going to get left behind the most? We know Amen cant shoot a lick while Washington is an excellent shooter. Both can playmake and neither are under sized. It sounds like TyTy who I think has great potential to grow into a starter is going to get left behind and his opportunity squandered.

SG - Jalen Green (#2 Pick - 2 years) / Kevin Porter Jr. (#30 pick - 3 years) / Josh Christopher (#24 Pick - 2 years)

Surely, they are not going to pay a big name shooting guard to come over and send Green to the bench. Can't see that happening. Plus, with Porter and Christopher that is enough bench depth to lineup if not outplay many teams benches.

SF - Kenyon Martin Jr. (#52 pick - 3 years) / Tari Eason (#17 Pick - 1 year) / Cam Whitmore (#20 Pick - Rookie)

Moving KJ is one thing and I'd take back a future pick or something or package him for a backup center but I would hate to see Tari and Cam (who could have been the 5th pick this year) bumped to 2nd and 3rd string roles just to bring in a bigger name. Seems it would hurt their developmental timeline and again squander 2 coveted first round picks development.

PF - Jabari Smith Jr (#3 - 1 year) / Jae'Sean Tate (Undrafted - 3 Years) / Usman Garuba (#23 - 2 Years)

Here I could see where we would like to potentially consolidate and bring in some real size and a banger. Someone to clear the boards and also stretch the floor. Tate is good but somewhat undersized. Garuba is still developing but not quite to a point that he could spell Smith for any period of time should be go down. The team needs bigs, but there aren't really any 4's worth spending a lot on.

C - Alperen Sengun (#16 - 2 Years)

Here is where the money should be invested. Depth at center. Period.

Y2JT, ROCK3TM4N, harold bingo and 6 others like this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Some kind of trade has to happen.

Without even having our pick we can't just run all these kids out there, we need some proven NBA players in the rotation.

I don't even care what position, we just need real players. Overpay role players on a one year deal if necessary.

TexasRedd, BallSoHarden and Jontro like this.