1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's a Good Western US City to Visit? (I.e. Phoenix vs. LA, or other?)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by fadeaway, Feb 15, 2012.

1. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

The missus and I are looking to cash in our Aeroplan miles and possibly take a week long vacation somewhere in the USA. We live on the far east coast and have enough miles to visit anywhere in the continental USA, so to maximize the benefit, we would like to vacation somewhere in the Western US, preferably a major city with a lot of fun attractions.

Before someone suggests a visit to a National Park (which would ordinarily be a great suggestion), we have already been to most of the National Parks in the Western US, and are planning a tentative road trip at some point throughout Utah and Colorado to hit up the ones we missed the first time around.

Cities in the Western US we have already visited include:

- Seattle
    - San Francisco
    - Las Vegas
    - San Diego (I've been there -- she hasn't)

The two options that spring to mind for me are Los Angeles, CA or Phoenix, AZ. If you could choose to vacation in either of those places, which would it be?

Also please feel free to make other suggestions. However, I have a lifelong dream to visit all the MLB ballparks, so ideally I'd like to go to a city with a baseball team. :grin:

The other option for us would be to go somewhere tropical like Bermuda, the Dominican, Jamaica, etc.. Not Cuba or Mexico, though (sorry sWoLy :p).

2. fadeaway

Also... I've already been to Houston, and would prefer somewhere further west anyway. :)

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there really isn't too much to Phoenix. If you go to Arizona, it's more of a place see nature.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

5. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

Wayan, Idaho

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

there isnt much at all to do in phoenix i would recommend LA just for that reason alone and if you want to visit ball parks there are two here - dodger stadium and edison field (angels) and to visit a third san diego is just a 2 hour drive away.

but there are much more things to do in LA/So Cal than phoenix

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

San Diego and San Fransico are great and romantic. L.A. Is a dump IMHO

8. fadeaway

Already saw a game in Anaheim stadium while driving through last time (didn't get to see the Dodgers play, though, and didn't explore LA at all). Also got a tour of Petco in San Diego when I was there (during the offseason) -- awesome park!

I guess Phoenix isn't such a great destination. I was just on the city's tourism website and watched a video of some guy talking about his ideal day in Phoenix... all he did was go for a hike, have breakfast, and then have lunch. LOL... they couldn't come up with anything better than that??

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Stockton California

jk

visit Vancouver, even though it's not USA

10. fadeaway

I totally agree! Loved both those places.

11. fadeaway

How about Compton? I heard that's nice this time of year.

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Not much in Phoenix unless you're into golf or......Cactus League!!!! Spring Training in March...

LA's awesome to visit. Many different types of things you could do there in a week -- museums/events/hollywood/themeparks/nature/surfing/etc/etc.

Sometimes with points, LA or the more popular places aren't a great deal. Cheap flights abound. If there's a more obscure or out of the way place that interests you that's sometimes a much better value for points...

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

What about Phoenix for Spring Training? I worked in Phoenix a bunch about 5 years ago, and didn't care for it generally, but Spring Training was a lot of fun.

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

yeah. Plus, LA you can always do the touristy things like Grauman's Chinese Theatre, Disney land, Rodeo drive...typical stuff that is associated with LA. It's touristy and cheesy but you can mark it off your list. Plus, you can hit up a beach or 2

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I echo everyone else. If choices are Phoenix or LA, definitely LA.

Portland? Santa Fe? Vegas?

Really, LA's probably your best bet, given you have already done and are already planning more of a nature type trip.

LA could get you San Diego and Santa Barbara, too. Even a sidetrip to Vegas potential.

16. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Los angeles is ok if you want to go club and spend a night out on the town. In all honesty though I think san diego shyts on la.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Can't speak from personal experience, but from what I've heard LA's pretty bad. Like New York was in the '80s except with more pollution.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

depends

if you want to golf, hike, or watch spring training, Phoenix

if you want to go to Hollywood, Disneyland, surf, see nice scenery, or go to the beach, go to SoCal

19. Voice of Reason

If its between Phoenix and LA, I would pick LA. LA can be fun. I was just there two weeks ago on a business trip and was able to take in a show. We were able to get into the Jimmy Kimmel Show, which was a lot of fun.

Never had any fun in Phoenix. Would much rather vacation in Santa Fe, Portland, Denver, or even Utah before I would pick Phoenix.

20. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

NY wasnt that bad in the 80s...

[​IMG]