1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whatever we do,we can't lose our offensive philosophy!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haiti1804, Apr 21, 2011.

1. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Our next coach really needs to maintain our offensive philosophy. I was sitting around watching these teams in the playoffs and there’s very little offensive movement. The ball rotates to one side on a lot of these teams and it stays there. Or one guy will touch it for 20 seconds then pass or throw up a desperation shot. Our offense is a joy to watch compared to a lot of these standstill teams. Chicago is particularly difficult to watch, just give it to rose and let everybody watch. We need to maintain our offense at all costs and upgrade our terrible defense and we’ll be right there.

2. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

It's the playoffs :rolleyes: Offense is slowed down

3. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Just because the pace is slower doesn't mean that the ball can't move from side to side, or that players can't make hard cuts.Utah back in the Sloan era played that way all the time regardless of the pace.

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

agreed - sort of, but remember, you play one opponent in a series over and over with each passing 1/4, game etc resulting in defensive adjustments and counters that don't come into play in the regular season. All this makes running your O much harder.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

No. It's SUPERSTAR basketball. Superstar basketball is all about slowing down the offense to a crawl. Then your role players just stand there on offense, while expanding their efforts on defense. And your superstar will create offense by themselves because the NBA rules states they go to the foul line if people breathe on them.

It's the best type of basketball for winning. Even if it's the worst kind of basketball(IMO) for watching.

It's why I've stopped watching the NBA other than the Rockets now. I just don't find them enjoyable.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

True, but the Rockets have good scorers all around. Like the OP said, lets keep that offensive identity, upgrade the defense and we are right there with the best. Like i mentioned in an earlier post, just add a defensive big man(Jordan, Dalembert, Chandler, D. Howard:eek:), a defensive coach and slap T. Will up side the head to make him act right.

7. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

Completely agree, we won 43 games with absolutely no defense outside of Chuck Hayes. we're just not that far off. A new coach needs to breathe some life into our defensive intensity and schemes. Then Daryl needs to finally get the size we've been promised for the last couple of seasons.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I totally agree we must keep our system which is why I vote for Sikma. He knows the players he knows the system. He knows what Morey wants. Why start from scratch when we have the best option right in front of our faces. Jack was a hard nosed player but he was also a cerebral player. He commands respect and the players already like him. I see no reason to reinvent the wheel here. Come on Morey I want to believe in you again. If it's true you take into consideration what the players have to say then you will hire Sikma.

There maybe smarter coaches. There maybe coaches that command more respect. There may be harder working coaches. There maybe better player friendly coaches. There even may more tv appealing coaches. But I think all around we won't find a better match with an easier transition.

9. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

lol! so we need to get that superstar and hire Mike Brown as our coach he's the king of standstill basketball!:grin:

10. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

totally agree! repped!

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I disagree that good ball movement can't win in the playoffs. Adelman's Kings played great offense and if not for the refs and for Horry's freak shot, they'd be wearing rings and the Kobe-Shaq team wouldn't have had that 3-peat feat.

12. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

i totally agree with u...and i feel thats why portland keeps chocking in the 4th.

13. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

You just made me hope they choose Sikma. Maybe he will bring back his ol' school jheri curl look.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm not worried about that because these players know how to get easy baskets by moving the ball and themselves.

I expect the offense to move nicely just like the defensive philosophy of JVG stayed for 2 years after he got canned.

15. hairyme

hairyme Member

I agree.
    signed,
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Rewind 4 years:

3 people like this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is how I feel too. Rockets will slowly decline on offense, and improve on Defense.

I'm not mad about that though. Throughout history, it seems that the more likely scenario to win is good D with efficient offense, rather than efficient D with good offense.

D is not just about efficiency. It's about efficiency, effort and reaction. The offense can become geared towards the roster in an efficient way, no problem.

While Rick's offense was awesome, I feel that given our lack of superstars and abundance of depth should have led us to a defensive system where we use a big rotation and expend a lot of energy on defense hassling the other team. Similar to what Philadelphia is doing, except I feel we have the much more talented team.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Interesting.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't keep your hopes up. The Rockets are likely bringing in a different kind of coach and he's going to put in an offense he's comfortable with. Even if they kept the read-and-react, Morey's going to turn over the roster a lot and the new guys will kill that offense without Adelman there. They may even get their superstar, and then the ball will go through him.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

who would have thought...keep a good offense AND have a good defense. Why doesnt every team in the league try to do this?

wow.

mind = blown.