1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What you can buy for 252 million......a story about value!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HOOP-T, Dec 11, 2000.

1. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Cool article on what 252 mil. will get you. Check out the line up of players adding up to AROD's salary. It includes both the NL and the AL MVP. He he!!!
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/2000/1211/938050.html

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

2. davo

davo Contributing Member

While A-Rods salary IS ludicrous, its time to put to rest all these "What can $252Mil buy you)." The present value of his salary is only a pitiful $155Mil (discounted at 10%). [​IMG]

------------------
    Maybe all the rulers are wrong.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The thing that is so amazing is that he is worth more than most pro sports franchises. That is just incredible.

------------------
    Mmmmmmm. Sacrelicious.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Where are the Rangers getting this dough?

They are not the Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs, Braves, Mets, White Sox etc...

How come the Astros can't throw cash at FA's? Oh yeah our owner sucks.

------------------
    Go West! Life is peaceful there!

5. davo

davo Contributing Member

Jeff, that is simply not true and the press is erroneous in repeatedly saying this. You cannot equate A-rods future earnings to a present value of $252Mil. The above figure of $155Mil represents what his salary is worth in Present dollars, and to be quite honest, it is probably still too high since it does not include inflation, plus, I think some of the $252Mil is deferred more than 10 years into the future.

Only 6 MLB Franchises are valued at less than $155Mil (Phillies, A's, Marlins, Royals, Twins, Expos), 5 NBA franchises(Clippers, Grizzlies, Raptors, Hornets, Bucks).

The lowest valued NFL Franchise is the Detroit Lions at $293 Mil, so he is out of that market. Hockey is a different question though - A-Rod could conceivably buy one of 18 NHL franchises today, though he doesn't strike me as the hockey type. (Mind you, neither did Jordan)

------------------
    Maybe all the rulers are wrong.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

davo: Of course, you aren't counting endorsements. [​IMG] Besides, to be worth more than ANY franchise is unreal, don't you think?

Smokey: The Rangers not only have a new ballpark, they also have the 5th highest paying cable and radio deal in baseball. Good negotiating on their part.

The Astros aren't even close in terms of their TV and radio deal.

------------------
    Mmmmmmm. Sacrelicious.

7. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

If the 34 million a year White Sox have that kind of money, then my name's Bob Finn.

------------------
    The Badministrator

8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I heard on the news that it will cost an estimated $250 million to repair the USS Cole.

Maybe Pay-Rod can fix that for us.

------------------
    Hey, I've got a new signature!

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Rangers are in the 7th largest tV market. They're tv deal is supposedly second best in the league. Also, their owner is much wealthier then Drayton.

------------------
    "I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence ?