1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What X-Factor is more Important in postseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox225, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Ok, we can all pretty much assume the Rockets will make the playoff's. We can also assume that if the Rocket's enter the playoff's with the current roster intact there will be two players who are crucial to our success. We know what we'll get from McGrady, Yao, and Battier. But in my opinion Bonzi Wells and Rafer are the X-Factors. Dallas has Stackhouse, Phoenix has Barbosa. The question is, which of these two do we need to be playing their "A" game for us to win it all?

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

If Rafer's knocking down that open 3-pointer, the Rockets will do fine. I'd rather he never attempt that teardrop again(except late in the 4th when he seems to make it most of the time for some reason).

We will need Bonzi to beat the Spurs. I don't think it's a coincidence the Rockets picked him up this offseason and suddenly they've won 2 in a row in San Antonio.

But based on number of minutes played and shots attempted, Rafer is clearly the more important of the two.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

My real vote for X-factor would be health.

Evan

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

:confused: I don't know if Bonzi even helped more than he hurt last night.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He did have a couple of turnovers in the 4th(then again, who on the Rockets didn't?). But you could tell how concerned the Spurs were with him. He was getting triple-teamed a few times down the floor. Even T-Mac wasn't getting that much attention.

Bottom line is that dude is in the Spurs' heads. And given the problems the Rockets have had against San Antonio during the Duncan era, you can't underestimate the importance of that.

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Exactly, Bonzi alone can completely manipulate the Spurs defense. I will feel more comfortable with him when the rockets play against the Mavericks and Sun's, who have a bunch of tweener type players who grab those long rebounds. Bonzi still looks a little out of sorts out there, he probably needs another 10 to 15 games to really round into shape.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The two X factors are Rafer and Bonzi. We just need both guys to score consistently. If we get that then we have a chance against anyone.

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Why do people think Bonzi is going to help so much more in the playoffs? Is JVG suddenly going to change his offense to go to Bonzi more, and away for Yao and Tmac? Yes, he had a nice series for a different team last year (without a dominant center or player of tmac's caliber), but how will that help us this year? He probably won't score 20 point in a single game from here through the end of the playoffs.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i think snyder could also be a big x-factor. maybe its just wishful thinking, but i do think that snyder can help this team a lot, primarily with his size, athleticism and aggressiveness.

10. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

He grabbed almost 12 rebounds a game in the series against the Spurs.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think you may really eat those words

12. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Believe me, I hope I do. Anything to win.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Rafer's role is more important than Bonzi's, looking forward. Reason being if Rafer tanks, we're completely screwed. If Bonzi tanks, we a lot more depth at SG/SF to make up for it.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Maybe he will help more because he will be in shape both physically and mentally by playoff time. I'm not expecting him to be an all-star but he is a proven NBA player who can and has put up huge numbers against very good teams. I see no reason why he can't be the third offensive option we need once he gets his game back in shape.

15. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

I think it would be Bonzi and/or Snyder. It wouldn't help for Rafer to be able to knock down open shot and not turn the ball over.

16. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

Just a healthy back and a top form yaoming will handle both xfactor's absence