1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Amazing how wired into my brain that track is.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

I agree cars are becoming less desirable to buy used. Too much tech that gets dated quick. Complex engine tech to save 2mpg..

BMW is actually a surprise in the EV race.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/09/business/bmw-electric-vehicles.html

The German automaker’s electric vehicles are made on the same assembly line as gasoline cars and look similar from the outside. That approach, using the same basic body for electric, hybrid, gasoline and diesel cars, has been viewed as an awkward and inefficient compromise some established carmakers have deployed as they struggle to compete with Tesla and emerging Chinese automakers that produce cars designed solely for battery power.

But confounding the pundits, BMW’s strategy has paid off. The company sold 376,000 electric vehicles last year, including some under its Mini brand, a 75 percent increase from the previous year. In the luxury segment, BMW was second only to Tesla, which remained dominant with 1.8 million cars. Electric vehicles accounted for 15 percent of BMW sales in 2023, up from 9 percent the previous year.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

My friend has the 4 series electric. It's nice. BMW was always great at making durable and comfortable cars, they just forgot how to make rod bearings for 10 years.

Sajan likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Are you saying people buying new BMW’s get screwed because of depreciation? Or am I reading that wrong??

ramotadab likes this.
  5. Bandwagoner

I'm saying when BMW started with the Bangle Butt and 60k mile rod bearings changes people dumped them for Tesla. When the same thing happens to working class people, they will switch to ev.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

eh. they are not doing too bad.

no bmw is running to go buy a tesla.

• BMW Sells 362,244 Vehicles in 2023, Setting a New Annual Record for the Brand in the U.S.
    • Sales of BMW Electric Vehicles Nearly Triple in 2023, Now Account for 12.5% of Total Sales.

7. Bandwagoner

yeah sorry, I meant back when they were screwing everyone. 2006-2010 (E60) were terrible cars in response from 2015-2018 when everyone ran to tesla model S because their other luxury sedans had imploded and mechanically totaled themselves.

They have sorted out their issues now but more and more additions to ICE engines will make more and more landmines.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

UK numbers on break downs. 59% is a significant number.

Our figures show electric cars ranging from new to 10-years old are 59% less prone to breakdowns than ICE cars. This might surprise some motorists, but with more than a million EVs now on the UK’s roads it shows drivers can choose an EV confident that they are less likely to be stranded at the roadside.

The story also makes the point that new ICE cars are so heavily dependent on tech (to squeeze out every mile per gallon and reduce emissions) that they are more complicated than EVs.

"...a veritable maze of wires, sensors and controllers handling everything from exhaust system outputs, ignition (and valve) timing, gearbox controls, etc, etc, etc."

https://thedriven.io/2024/03/13/the-data-is-in-evs-far-less-likely-to-break-down-than-ice-cars/

ryan_98 likes this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

@Space Ghost
    @CXbby

old faithful still going…

-30% TSLA ytd

guess everyone is not running to buy a Tesla just yet.

ryan_98 likes this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

When did Musk get his compensation package get resolved?

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

Or maybe, demand is down, and that's why the stock is down.

lol at mUSK CoMPenSTATION package. that's your new excuse. i am dead.

Tesla trims output of cars in China amid slower EV sales growth, Bloomberg reports
    The company’s stock is already down more than 31% since the start of the year and fell as much as 4% in intraday trading on the China reporting, before rebounding slightly. Shares were down just under 2% as of Friday afternoon. Year-to-date, the S&P 500 is up about 10%.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Yes, demand is down across the board. Used and new car inventories are starting to stack up. The Biden Adminstration rolling back EV adoption standards is promising for legacy in the short term, specifically Japanese and Korean cars.

You are naming one stock, the one you claim is the easiest to trade. I have said multiple times since the Delaware decision that the Tesla stock would remain low until its resolved. Without xAI and Optimus, Tesla is just another car company.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

Tesla was always a car company which everyone kept saying but fan bois couldn’t accept that.
    Your savior fooled you otherwise.

i sold most at the last pump to 250s.
    Got back in at 170s and should have sold at 200 but been distracted with NVDA/SMCI pumps.

cheke64 likes this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I drove down to Galveston, a 60 mile trip, in my EV. It said the range was 162 when I started. It was 70 when I arrived. The range estimate had a 50% error. Kinda disappointing.

Buck Turgidson and Rocket River like this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

What car

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My next car is going to be a basic internal combustion engine, mid-sized sedan from Chevrolet, or Ford if they ever make a new one.

Luxury cars and electric cars are for the enthusiasts.

ramotadab likes this.
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

2019 Nissan Leaf.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't think I will ever go Full EV until I absolutely have to.
    I think we simply need more infrastructure to support it

For Now . . . I want my next vehicle to be a Hybrid

Rocket River

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I won't even rent on.
    I worry about this kind of thing
    I refuse to be stranded

Rocket River