1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

For me its price and accessibility to charging both at home or in transit.

Also speed of charge.

Saw this car and it looks great and will be good on range and has a fast charge.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/30/22357654/kia-ev6-revealed-specs-photos-electric-car-release-date

I also like the polestar 1.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/26/21455850/polestar-precept-electric-car-concept-android-production

I will probably be in the market within the next year but I can see me owning one within the next 3-4 years.

#1 jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

First link is going to home security systems.

I’m interested, thought about the model 3 for a bit but I think my next vehicle will be a truck.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I barely drive anymore so it's less appealing than it was when I was doing a massive commute 5 days a week. So it would take a massive change in my daily habits to get me to consider it, since our vehicles are relatively new and are working A-OK.

jiggyfly and Jontro like this.
  4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

A full sized SUV (not a little one) or normal pickup.

If I could buy a Tahoe EV or a F150 EV, I'd do it right now.

jiggyfly, RockFanFirst and Jontro like this.
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Prices are a bit high for quality EV's and the mfg should be building the car from the ground up, not throwing it in an ICE shell. I also wont buy unless its been on the market for a few years.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A tiny silent eco engine with a small gas tank that would just charge the batteries so you wouldn't have to mess with charging stations if you didn't want to or couldn't. I think BMW has this set up on their i8s, but the engine can power the car too for extra boost.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We dropped gas cars & aren't looking back

R0ckets03, TWS1986 and jiggyfly like this.
  8. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I agree. I think Chevy Volt has the right concept. It's a Plug-in Hybrid with a small engine that's mainly used to charge the battery that drives the electric motors. This allows the engine to stay in the rpm and gear of peak efficiency.

I think my next car will be a plug-in hybrid rather than full electric. I still value the flexibility of being able to go on a road trip or having backup cans of gasoline on hand before a hurricane or ice storm.

I would also like a small or medium sized cross over rather than sedan. The Toyota Venza and next year's Hyundai Tucson look like good choices. Though I hate how the spare tire are often removed in a hybrid for the batteries.

B-Bob and jiggyfly like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Better range, better-looking interiors (although I'm seeing these starting to get better), more charging stations (maybe not on the level of gas stations, but near), doesn't look stupid (also seeing this happen more). I was actually considering the Mustang Mach-E for a next vehicle, but my heart wants a Taycan or something similar. lol.

I'm waiting to see what becomes of the infrastructure bill, but that thing is on an 8-year timeline or something, so my next car may still be a gas-guzzler.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Asian Sensation

What are your reasons for not going EVegan?

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Better charging network. Tesla's have the best network since in addition to regular charging stations they have their supercharger network, but I want to get a EV from a traditional automotive company once they catch up network wise.

Kia EV6 that just debuted is a step in the right direction.

Can't wait to drop ICE entirely. Also wary of investing in a car to own when EV's are still in the RELATIVELY early stages of growth. Tesla in a span of 5 years added so much range and performance to their yearly iterations. Almost makes sense to lease in the next decade.

jiggyfly and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

We’re not quite “there” yet for my needs, but although a full on EV doesn’t make sense for me in their current state, I LOVE the idea of hybrids. I’m a truck guy. I’ve got a full size truck with a camper topper on the bed, and sometimes I STILL need more room. The new Ford F-150 hybrid with the big generator is very intriguing, but I wish it had a bit more electric power (I’d take that at the expense of gas power). Electric motors have SO much torque. As far as I’m concerned, they could work the gas engine over to where it runs at the optimum speed to charge the batteries keeping emissions to a minimum. I know a full on EV is in my future. We’re just not there yet.

Buck Turgidson and jiggyfly like this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Range. I drive a **** ton in sales. I enjoyed my hybrid until I wrecked into an f350

TWS1986 and jiggyfly like this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'll consider it when access to parts are easier to get.

I mean Tesla has slowly relaxed restrictions and things have been getting better, but I like to fix vehicles so you can get max value/life from them and not rely on the company or someone else to do the work. I realize that's not a concern for everyone - but for me - I drive my personal vehicles until I get tired of putting the time into maintain them (ie the car isn't worth buying the parts and then my time - even with my labor being free - time eventually factors in). And while there's a learning curve to make the switch to EV repair, I will go as far at this guy to keep control:

His videos/channel have a lot more content but this conversation is pretty funny, I mean at one point - Tesla wouldn't even sell lug nut caps/covers to their customers, so this is great - especially w/ some Tesla fans defending this.

#14 CCity Zero, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah... Tesla. lol. I like that guy's channel, btw. I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but somebody posted a video of him looking for and buying a Sherp, and I instantly became a fan. He's the type of dude you want as a friend. :D

CCity Zero and jiggyfly like this.
  16. lpbman

lpbman Member

I'm definitely looking for a cheap used leaf for a runabout. 90% of my trips could be done in a leaf, and 90% of my charges would be free. Well technically I would be using power that normally feeds back to the grid for which I am payed the handsome sum of 3.4 cents per kw/h.

The drawbacks for me would be I don't drive that much to begin with. I would be at the very limit of range to go to the nearest big city and back... and those leaf batteries aren't properly heat managed and thus don't last like a Tesla or similar. A cheapo like I'm after probably won't make the trip.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

cars cost a lot to maintain. i'm happy with my scooter.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

My Uncle sells Fords and he says the people that work at job sites for a living are going crazy for the F150s with the 3.5L Hybrid that acts like a generator. YOUR TRUCK IS A GENERATOR! They put out great power.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah I like the Mach-E as well I was surprised how much I dig it would like to see how much they come down.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Actually the EV6 is the reason I started this thread, it's a bit small for me but I like the look and the specs.