1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What to expect at the number 8 draft slot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pat, Apr 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have been reading a lot of discussion about players who, in peoples opinions, are a good fit for the Rockets, but not good enough to draft at number 8. This got me wondering what we should reasonably expect (if we stay) at number 8. Here are the 7, 8 and 9 picks for the last 10 years. I figure a 7-8-9 spread is more indicative of the talent available than just 8.
    (Hope this table looks right)

7th pick 8th pick 9th pick

2005 Charlie Villanueva Channing Frye Ike Diogu
    2004 Loul Deng Rafeal Arajno Andre Igulodwa
    2003 K. Hinrich TJ Ford M Sweetney
    2002 Nene Chris Wilcox Amare Stoudemire
    2001 Eddie Griffin Sagna Diop Rodney White
    2000 Chris Mihm Jamal Crawford Joel Przybilla
    1999 Richard Hamilton Andre Miller Shawn Marion
    1998 Jason Williams Larry Hughes Dirk Nowitzki
    1997 Tim Thomas Adonal Foyle Tracy McGrady
    1996 Lorenzen Wright Kerry Kittles Samaki Walker

Overall a pretty impressive list. Honestly I was surprised by the overall high quality. The vast majority have gone on to be legitimate contributors, several have been all stars, and even a few superstars.

I think I like the 9th slot better than our current 8th. I guess I am hoping that one of the lottery teams 14-8 moves up. Personally, I’m pulling for number 8.

2. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Super Mario Williams!

3. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

This is looking like a terrible draft. You hope that some workout wonder will push Brandon Roy down to 8, but otherwise, JVG will take Shelden Williams, who is Chuck Hayes, but 3 inches taller. Basically, odds are that we get next to nothing for this horrible, horrible season.

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Erm. Just because in the past there were more players at #9 that panned out, doesn't have anything to do with this draft. And if we get passed up by a lower slotted team, that means we have one less option we can take when our turn comes up. I think it's madness to hope that another team passes us by, when this is turning out to be a dreadfully weak draft class, and we're hoping that one of the top guys slip to us. We don't want to hope they slip another spot just because we got outlucked in the lottery.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is a pretty weak draft. i don't think it's a fair to look back at other drafts and get our hopes up.

if we end up with someone who can contribute right away and fill a need then i say it was a good draft for the rox.

6. Omer

Omer Member

No Tracy McGrady's in this one, not even 50% of what T-Mac is.
    Hopefully we get someone who can play their role and do it consistently, that's all I want.

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I'm hoping we can get JJ Redick.

8. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

There are no clear stars at your draft position. I am hoping we get a great hustle player like Ryan Bowen that knows his role.

9. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

This isn't the first draft that has looked poor before it started, but there are always guys drafted after the top 10 that still contributed well and go on to have solid careers.

I'm all for drafting a guy that will help us now, but it wouldn't bother me if we got a guy who was just ok for the first year or so, and then became a stud (i.e. Tracy McGrady).

With the number 8 pick in the draft, expectations should be high....unless your a Rockets fan in which case you should expect Eddie Griffin #2. :D

10. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

The age limit really screwed us over. Durant or some other high school studs couldve come out and bumped down a few good players to our spot. (or we couldve even gotten one of them ;) )

Of course i didnt care much about it back then when the rule was placed, because i never thought we'd see the lottery again for the next 8 or so years :(

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We still have to see what the international community has to offer
    so it is hard to tell

Also
    I worry that JVG may not play who ever we get
    the big question becomes. . who will we get on free agency

Is Wesley coming back? Sura? Charlie Ward?
    Where is Chris Childs these days?

What 'veteran' PGs out there?
    Sam Cassell . . . will they go get him?

Rocket River

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

What we really need is some freakish stat-mining nerd to find at #8 the player we'll all look back on years later as the sole diamond in this draft. Heck, let's go all out and give the nerd our GM job.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I expect an impact player, hopefully a starter; probably a swingman (SG/SF). Maybe a PF.

14. declan32001

declan32001 Member

:D This draft is looking like one where you may be better off "reaching". I wish to God Morey could find some sort of bizarre algorithm that has legs, but the draft is as far away frrom his expertise as you cant get. JVG admits little interest in it as well.

CD may as well roll the hell out of the dice in his last go round. I don't see the "safe" pick out there anyway.

It's lifted my spirits to read Clutch's posts about how important this pick is, but I can bring myself to believe it. Excuse me, I'm just pretty much thoroughly bummed out.

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Don't...just...don't.

16. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

There are at least 10 players in this draft that could be impact players for us. I'm not too worried about it until pick number 6 is gone. Then you go grab the best of what's left.

18. terse

terse Member

Yep, this is why I want us to take a chance on JJ Redick. He is one of those "high risk, high potential reward" players. Since there are no "safe" picks this year, we might as well gamble.

19. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I think I'll be available until possibly the 18 pick. Washington might pick me up.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

From the way Van Gundy is talking, wanting a PF with shooting range, I think he is targeting Bargnani, which would be quite a shocker. I personally think it's too risky a pick to take him and I can't believe Van Gundy actually wants that kind of player but..............he's saying he wants a range shooting 4.