1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What to do in Houston??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by txppratt, Jul 15, 2008.

1. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

dear fellow clutchfans-ians,

i am coming to houston for a visit august. holy hell it's gonna be hot!

i am bringing my fiance along for the first time. she wants to see where i'm from. i moved away 10 years ago, but am hoping to possibly land a job in houston and move back. we're not coming for interviews, just to hang out for 5 days.

i have talked with her about moving back to h-town but she is pretty resistant.

what can i do to show this girl a great time and get her to love the city?

your ideas are very meaningful to me! i may have grown up in houston, but i have not lived there as an adult and have not gotten to experience THAT side of the city.

needless to say, i want this to be a good trip, and i am hoping to open her mind to moving back to houston in the future.

i am looking for ideas to get this girl to love the city and the culture. i hope this 5 days can leave a lasting impression.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Where is she from?? If the heat gets too much take her to Galveston. Nice restaurants as well.

3. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Duuuuuude you picked a bad time of year to try and convert someone to H-Town. It's going to be hot, sweaty, and gross. Good luck....

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Take her to Treasures. She'll love you forever.

5. txppratt

haha!

that's awesome. she's plenty of treasure for me... if you know what i mean.

we're going to a stros game against the d-backs (bad year for the stros too).

she is from utah so she needs to see the big city side to houston.

6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Houston has one of the largest Museum districts in the country. San Jacinto Monument. Art Car Museum. The Mini Forbidden City. Moody Gardens. Downtown Nightlife. Are there any festivals in August? Haven't lived there in 17ys myself, but Houston always seems to have a bunch of good festivals that beat the crap outta DFW's festivals.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

-Astros game like you mentioned
    -The restaurants
    -Midtown or Rice Village for some drinks
    -Herman/Memorial Park
    -Museums
    -Live music
    -Galveston and Kemah

8. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

Houston actually has the second largest theatre district in the country (far behind New York, but second none the less) so you could take her to a show at the Alley or Hobby Center.

Lately, we've been going to Discovery Green in downtown which is a nice park and the Grove there is pretty nice restaurant. I've always thought restaurants were Houston's biggest strength.

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you should pretty much do:

- a day in the museum district
    - astros game
    - galleria for some shopping
    - cruise through montrose, upper kirby, river oaks, west u/village, heights/rice military, uptown, midtown, downtown, the east end, museum district, and medical center to get a feel for the "urban core" of the city
    - check out hermann and memorial parks
    - go to some amazing restaurants
    - go out drinking in midtown or around the village or in the montrose/upper kirby area or the heights/rice military/camp logan area.... hit up pearl bar on washington
    - see if there's any decent live music coming through (maybe the tom petty/steve winwood show at the cynthia pavillion in the woodlands) - check out whats playing at verizon wireless or warehouse live or the meridian or maybe house of blues (if it's open by then)
    - if she's into theatre or the classical arts see whats playing in the theatre district, we have some of the best in the country
    - tex-mex and bbq
    - galveston/coast

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    WHAT YOU'RE DATING A GIRL FROM UTAH?!?!?!?!?!?!??! :eek: :eek:
    <br>
    THAT'S BLASHPEMY!!!!
    <br>
    ok ok, but on a serious note:
    <br>
    You could take her to:
    The Galleria- for some nice over priced shopping
    NASA- Because visits to Houston have to include NASA :rolleyes: ;)
    Restaurants- Houston is one of the best dining places in the country
    Downtown Aquarium- Girls seem to dig this quite a bit, its a really nice place
    <br>
    I can't think of much right now, but i'll post more when i get a chance...

11. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

she's from where?? is this "utah" area even real?

12. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

13. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

[​IMG]

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

SPINDLETOP!!! I've always wanted to go there :(

15. txppratt

LOL.

you guys kill me. i knew i'd get about 50 % legit responses and the rest would be smart ass comments. :D

museum/theatre is totally up her alley. i looked around and it doesn't seem like there's any plays or shows from the 15th to the 20th of august (i'm guessing these are seasonal?).

i'm loving these ideas. maybe we will go to galveston... i was hoping not to spend all the time going out there but hell i love that place.

what's the best beach to hit? i'll want to get hammered.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

IMO, you'll have more fun in Kemah Boardwalk than Galveston..and you can go NASA too coz they're near each other..

17. no_answer

no_answer Member

That's what I thought. It's just disgusting. If she likes the Jazz, you need to end the relationship asap.

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Especially with women, try http://www.artshound.com/. It has listings of EVERYTHING in the arts from music to theater to comedy to art exhibits.

I learned recently that there are an INCREDIBLE number of things to do virtually every night of the week. You just have to know where to look.

19. LeoneWestern

LeoneWestern Rookie

20. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

things are so much different, downtown is clean and growing Midtown (where the greyhound station is) has become an traditional urban neighborhood with resteraunts and bars everywhere all within walking distance.

Washington ave was scary 10 years ago now it's the place to live outside of downtown/midtown

the parks are still there, kemah is bigger and better and if you do the Nasa/Galveston thing go sit out on the deck at the Kemah boardwalk

Anyway it's just become a first rate/first class city

email me at anytime through the board with your intrests and I will point you in the right direction