1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the hell was that?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZRB, Nov 10, 2001.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Advanced warning: Behad, you might as well click the back button now, because this isn't going to be pretty...

I come home, and watch the game on tape, and I have to fast forward throughout the entire second half! What the **** was that?

Where is the offense? Why can't the Rockets make layups? Why can't the Rockets stop other teams from making layups? How is it possible that a playoff candidate coming in after their worst offensive game of the season can lose to a mediocre team without their best player by 27 points? Okay, I can see a one or two point upset, but 27?!! Why can't the Rockets score more than 81 points against one of the worst defensive teams in the league???

This team needs to run a few layup and free throw shooting drills! My god, they haven't even mastered the basic fundamentals of the game. How many free throws did they miss tonight? Fourteen?! Already this would have been only a 13 point loss, if they had managed to make a few easy ones...

Credit goes to Denver for beating up on this team that showed up tonight. That was not the Rockets, that was a Bulls-wannabe squad. The Rockets could learn something from other teams- TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS! DON'T PLAY DOWN TO THE COMPETITION! This team played far below the Nuggets tonight, and Denver took care of business.

Now they HAVE to beat the Spurs or Lakers to get any kind of respect. Once again, the Rockets have lost a game they couldn't afford to lose. That's what killed them last year, and it isn't looking good for this year.

2. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

please just shutup. its the 7th game of the season not the 77th game. geezes they could go 82-0 n u still wouldnt be happy. yes they played like ****. yes they shoulda won. but in case u didnt know the rockets r not the defending champion lakers.

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

That's no excuse for playing only half a game like they did. All I expect is effort. They have shown that, and have overcome these awful shooting nights, until tonight. Tonight, the Nuggets looked like the best team in the league.

4. Rockettebustier

So what the Mobes and Francis had a little fun last night, they were hating life the next day. It happens! :cool:

5. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Why do I have the feeling you've had this post already typed and saved, just waiting to fill in the blanks according to what team we were playing?

Face it ZRB, you're a loser who cannot handle success.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Cant believe I am doing this, but you all give me one reason ZRB should shutup? I think this team will get better as the season progresses, but the effort should be there every nite. ZRB is rite. This aint no damn team led by oldies like Hakeem, Charles or Clyde. Francis and Mobes should be ready for every game. Every summer they talk all this nonsense about making the playoffs. Well last year games like these cost us. I will our guards would just shut the hell up and try to play some freakin ball. Losses are understandable as this is a young team, but not due to lack of EFFORT! If Rockets lost a game where they played their hearts out I would be proud as hell. I wouldnt be that upset if the Rockets go 0-82 in a season playing their hearts out. But it is crap like this they put forward that pisses the hell out of some people.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It's one thing for the Rockets to just have a bad game.

But to see them quit pisses the ever living s#it out of me.

I don't see how any Rocket fan can be pissed at ZRB, but content with the Rockets horrible showing tonight.

The freaking Bulls would have whipped us tonight.

I can't think of such a worse effort by the Rockets over the years than what happened tonight.

KT was the only Rocket who bothered to bring his jock strip to the Pepsi Center tonight.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

It was a bad game and all want to jump me talking about turnovers when they run and this and that. This team just doesn't get it and neither does rudy. If Bibby could avg 8 ass with vancuver, then why cant steve. Its not to lay the blame on him, i just think this team walks the ball up tooooo much. The hold the ball tooooooo much , and they dont' move it nearly like they should. I just basically think we play ball like tennesse plays offense, very basic and very predicatable.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Geez, the team was tired, calm down. Having your backcourt play so many minutes will do that to you.

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

So apparently I should be quite glad I went and played some ball during the majority of this game and I should be happy I didn't have to watch it. Not having seen it, I'm not sure what y'all consider quitting or what it looked like, but if they didn't come out trying then I would say we should be pissed at them, but at the same time understand that it happens and hope they learn from it. Like TheFreak said, maybe mobley and francis were just tired, I'm sure it happens. And I'm sure they aren't thrilled with what they put out on the court tonight, but it happens. I always hear all this talk about how we don't win games we should and it's games like this that cost us the playoffs, but lets face it, every single team in the league loses games they should win. That is in fact why they play the games. I'm sure last year Minnesota didn't beat every team it should've but they still made the playoffs. Now while I am still concerned over our horrendous offensive output to start the season, I would say just chalk tonight up to "it was just one of those games" and hope they learn from it and never ever ever ever ever lose to the nuggets by 27 again.

11. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

You realize, of course, that it's all ZRB's fault. If he had posted a doom and gloom post at halftime, instead of after the game, Rudy could have pulled it up in the locker room and motivated the players.

That being said, what a crappy game. We need better picks, better passing, and a game plan for when the defense keys on our guards.

AND WE NEED TO MAKE THE DAMN FREE THROWS:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

It was the back end of a back-to-back in a stadium 1 mile high. I didn't expect them to shoot lights out when they haven't been shooting lights out in any game this year.

Ass in Denver's high shooting pct. and it was a loss waiting to happen.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Lakers lost to the Clippers by 24 points last year... and I don't think anyone could say they "played their hearts out". This happens to every team. On the second night of a back to back, on the road, we came out flat. Big deal. It happens to every team, every season. Nothing you can do to avoid it.

Once again, the Rockets have lost a game they couldn't afford to lose.

We're 5-1, and this was a must win game?

By the way, prediction: the Rockets beat both the Spurs and Lakers next week.

14. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

you get 'em ZRB! This team is obnoxiously talented... but they give far too much away, imo. Cuttino needs to delay that deposit on the float and actually show up for more than a few games in a row.... ie those games that don't scream on the radar at you.

TheCat, if the Rockets win against the Spurs and Lakers, I won't drink for a month and I'll work out every day.

15. DLS

DLS Member

The cat,

It's not pathetic that we lost, it's pathetic that we made it easy on them. Our offense(high pick and roll) is not allowing us to penetrate cause all the defense does is sag, and it's the only play we call. We'll win games when we get hot from outside, but we are not shooting we'll have some more ugly games.

We're relying on our shooting to open up our backcourt's penetration. Live and die by the shot. Our offense is one dimensional.

Am I wrong for wanting a little motion in our offense?

16. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Achebe -- That should be a good thing. :rolleyes:

:D

ZRB is a little wrong and right in some ways. He just expresses his feelings really loud that some people here dont like. Wait till we win vs a top team, he will talk about winning the championship. ;)

17. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

Every team tanks one from time to time. The question is: How will they respond in the next game? Good teams will use this type of arse-kicking to step their game up two or three levels. On the other hand, bad teams manage to turn a loss like this into a 10-game slide.

I have faith ... this is where we see the heart of a champion.

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ZRB-chill man.

We can't assume we'll sweep every team that should be below us.

If that's the case, the Bulls underachieved a few years ago for going only 72-10, and any games they win this year will be overachieving.

This is called a character game. It builds it, or it shows the flaws.

The Nuggets played us a few games ago, and got a look on how to beat us. They made adjustments, and we didn't. Credit to them.

19. djteknokid

djteknokid Member

ZRB has good points though...
    When will Steve learn how to defend his guy... Ive only watched him playing twice this season... but his defense is horrible. He was constantly getting burned by Claxton.. and Van x.. If steve wants to be on Kobe.. Tmac level... he needs to learn how to play better D

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm not as pissed about the lost as much as I am about the effort. Remember all those open shots glen rice was suppose to have? I told anyone who wanted to listen that defenses would zone up, but not a regular zone. Teams could sag off just enough to guard the pick and roll and still run to a spot, which is where rudy leaves players for the defense to find. Its not Rocket science, its simple basketball.