1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What song to sing for American Idol audition?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OldManBernie, May 26, 2007.

1. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Depending on where the tryout is located, I'll probably try out for American Idol again this year. I made it through 3 rounds and got to the celebrity judges this year without much effort, so I figure I might be able to get to LA and compete if I practice a little. Last year, I ended up doing a song by Queen called "Don't Stop Me Now". It's an upbeat rock song that sounded pretty good a cappella. Unfortunately, the celebs weren't digging the song, so I need something new.

I am wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions for songs to try out. I have a deep baritone voice, but I can hit most tenor notes without strain. I need a song that I can show off my big voice while singing a cappella.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

wow thats awesome ill have to think about that.

i think of course if your voice is good enough you could sing a song the judges have heard a million times. but i think it would help if you could sing something a little different to catch there ears.

3. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

When in doubt, take it to the streets.

Take, it, to ... the STREETS!

4. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

The audition goes beyond the voice, they really listen to how you interpret the song and how you sell the song. They even told me they liked my voice, but they didn't buy what I was trying to sell on my performance though. Simon went as far as saying, "That was a terrible Freddie Mercury impersonation, and your choreography was appalling. " I didn't even realize I was dancing, but my stage presence obviously needs a lot of work. I sang at a gala a few months ago, and somebody made a recording of my performance. Looking at the DVD, I finally realized what Simon was talking about.

5. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Do "It's not Unusual" like Carlton on Fresh Prince. Guaranteed air time.Don't forget the dance.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

stay with Prince and do p***y Control. You can't help but to get noticed with that one

7. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T3ANUkOyDNQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T3ANUkOyDNQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    That'd get you on tv for sure

8. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

"When a man loves a woman" may complement your voice well, throw a little beatbox in there and you could make it to the finals.

Good Luck!!

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Post it on youtube and then the Clutchfans can critique and find a song for you.

10. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

A deep voice.. hmm.. "Can't get enough of your love" -Barry White

11. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

That song may be a little high for me. I definitely want to do something R&B though, you have any other suggestions? I wanted to do Lou Rawls, but it may not sound great a capella.

12. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I just might, I need to rip my performance from the dvd.

My voice is not that deep... :)

13. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

in order to maintain your street cred and to keep it real, i suggest you sing reh dogg's "why must I cry".

14. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Black Eyed Peas - "My Humps"

Good luck

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

What does it even mean?

Nobody knows what it means but its controversial.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Victoria, originally by the Kinks but this version by the Fall has a deadpan delivery more suited to a baritone vocals plus the chorus would reel them in. Though it could be could be deemed too easy.
    <object width="400" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i4VdcMXVO_g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i4VdcMXVO_g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

Theme from Mahagonay by Diana Ross. It's not an obvious selection but has a nice melody and would adopt well to a deep voice.
    <object width="400" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1eQKRikN9F8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1eQKRikN9F8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

Both songs won't sound boring sung a capella.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qT1tckShEKc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qT1tckShEKc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

;)

18. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Who Let the Dogs Out?

19. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

post a pic of u...or make avideo and sing i want to see who u are :confused:

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

how old are you?