1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what should San Diego do ??

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gr8-1, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Band Geek Mobster

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0420/1176353.html

"In exchange for the Chargers first pick, the Falcons gave San Diego their first round pick in the 2001 draft (fifth pick overall), their third pick in the 2001 draft (67th pick overall), their second round draft choice in the 2002 draft and wide receiver Tim Dwight."

What do you guys think about the deal?

-------------

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited April 20, 2001).]

2. haven

haven Member

San Diego has to take Vick or trade down. There's not another player on the board worth a #1.

Yeah, Davis, Warren, Tomlinson, McAllister and Terrell are nice... but they're just not #1 caliber.

You know, I would take McAllister over Tomlinson anyday. Remember another back who slid because of injuries? His name was Jamal Lewis. McAllister's the second best player in this draft... I'd take him at #2.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I remember Lewis having one big injury, but not as many nagging injuries as McCalister had. Duece is good, but I'd take Tomlinson.

Vick has the chance to be a great QB, this was a stupid trade on San Diego's part.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

4. Ric@HPF

Ric@HPF Member

so it's your contention the oilers/titans have sat on mcnair for nearly six years now IN SPITE of him being "way ready?" why would a team do that?

turning a player loose sounds like it means something, but really, it doesn't. what QB is currently turned loose and allowed to do whatever he pleases on the football field? it's not flag football at the YMCA, ya know. QB's aren't out on the field drawing up plays in the dirt, and making things happen out of sheer force of talent.

turning michael vick loose will not make him read defenses better, will not make his throws more accuarte, will not make his mechanics more sound... it's going to take A LOT more than simply tunring vick loose to make him even an avearge nfl QB.

outside of being a black QB, what, exactly, does doug williams have to do with michael vick?

------------------
    Ric
    http://www.houstonprofootball.com

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Puedlfor, why exactly is it stupid ? SD got 3 extra players for moving down one spot. Vick flat out doesn't impress me.

Haven , tell me why Duece over LT ? Speed , size ????

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Because Vick impresses me.

They moved down 4 spots and got a good running back, but they passed up the chance to get a great quarterback to do so. Tim Dwight is a 3rd or 4th wideout and they got a couple third rounders.

I don't think it was wise to pass on Vick, and I don't think they got fair value for a No. 1 pick.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

7. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Of course, they now end up with Brees and LT. Not a bad showing for the first day of the draft (going on potential. We can't know for sure how the picks will turn out).

------------------
    Houston Sports Board

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I thought San Diego did pretty good. They are in a position to win and be competitive NOW. Their defense is solid and they have a pretty good offensive line. Flutie will be an upgrade, and Brees should be able to step in and produce should Doug get injured again.

And now they finally have a running back. They could make some noise this year.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

9. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I'm gonna say right now that I think this draft was BRILLIANT for San Diego. Before it happened, I thought they were morons, but now I'm 100% behind their moves.

They traded Michael Vick and got lots of good stuff -- quality picks and a good player. They miss out on an unbelievable pro prospect, but then . . .

San Diego drafts Drew Brees in the 2nd round. IMO, Drew Brees is gonna be an awesome, Peyton Manning - type quarterback. I think Vick will be better, but not SO much better that San Diego looks bad after this -- I think they did an awesome thing with this draft, by getting an awesome prospect AND more picks.

BTW, Detroit has had a good draft too . . . GO LIONS!!

------------------
    "Up and down, inside out, outside in, some you lose some you win"
    -- DMB -> "Sweet Up and Down"

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Those of you who saw the combine results will know that LT was BY FAR the best overall athlete there. I know that doesn't necessarily translate into on-field success, but LT has it. I expect him to rush for well over 1,000 yards. very good pick.

Brees seems like a guy who has the intangibles. He is somewhat unorthodox, or maybe that was just the offense he played in. I expect him to start soon also.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."