1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what should San Diego do ??

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gr8-1, Apr 19, 2001.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

If I were them, I would trade down. They have alot of holes to fill on offense. Vick is a great athlete, and may be a great player, but they need to win now. I think he's a couple of years away from being an average QB. Hope I am wrong.

I think the Texans should trade down next year also. Unless, there's a John Elway or Dan Marino type player next year.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

2. Steve_Francis_rules

I think they should draft Vick because he has the potential of being a great player. Besides, it would take a miracle for them to be able to get enough pieces to significantly improve the team just by trading the #1 pick.

------------------

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Take Vick. He could be a great player in this league, one of the best ever. You can't bypass that.

You're trying to build a franchise, you need a franchise player.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Draft Vick and let Flutie take his job .

------------------
    Vice President of Executive Operations of the Sean Colson Fan Club

http://bbs.babitze.com

5. gr8-1

Possibly...but didn't Arizona get alot from San Diego in the Ryan Leaf draft ? Also, remember Ditka and Ricky....

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Didnt San Diego have an alright defense last year but just lost about 7 or 8 games by 6 points or less. I actual can foresee them making a pretty sizeable turnaround. If I were them Id pick Tomlinson. They would have a good QB and a top-notch running back.

------------------
    Haha.. you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well know is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Looked it up.

Of the Chargers 15 losses last year, 8 were of 8 points or less, an amazing 6 of which were of 3 points or less.

They were ranked 13 on total defense out of the 31 teams but only 28th on total offense.

If the Chargers could score some points I can see anywhere from a 6-10 record to a 10-6 record, and that wouldnt be too surprising with the parity in the NFL.

------------------
    Haha.. you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well know is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

8. Band Geek Mobster

I don't think the Texans are allowed to trade away their number 1 pick next season.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i've read others post this same thing elsewhere, and don't believe it's true. where have you heard it? is it confirmed?

carolina traded the first overall pick in their inaugural draft, and i can't believe the nfl would implement such a strange and needless restriction. why would they mandate the texans take a player?

i, for one, am esctatic vick came out a year early and relieved the texans the burden having to make this decision. he's not a complete player, he's asking for WAY too much money, and there's no way he'll be ready to play until 2003. you don't start building a fracnhise by waiting two years to build a franchise. SD would be wise to deal.

now, if he would be open to playing running back...

------------------
    Ric
    Houston Pro Football.com

10. Band Geek Mobster

I think I remember hearing Charlie Casserly say on 610 that they weren't allowed to trade off their #1 pick. I don't really know why it's like that, and I can't find any info on the net to backup what I said.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Texans CANNOT trade the #1 pick...

Vick will be a bust...

Trade the hell down if you can...

The biggest bust will be Gerard Warren... That guy did absolutely nothing at UF... He has potential yes, but he's an underachiever...

If he had gone to say, Grambling or somewhere, he would be a 3rd round pick...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

just curious, because i've only heard this stated in forums such as this, but where are you getting this information from? do you have a link?

i've never heard of such a thing (which doesn't mean it's not true), and can't for the life of me come up with even a spark of a reason as to why the nfl would make such a silly mandate. it makes no sense, impeding the texans' right to do with that pick whatever they feel is best.

------------------
    Ric
    Houston Pro Football.com

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Chargers should draft Leonard Davis aka "BIG." The man was the best OT in college last year and will continue to improve. He is a sure thing.

Texans may take Simms next year if decides to come out early.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

14. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Yet Casserly in at least one of his Casserly's Corner segments on the Texans website talks about how he would entertain the possibility of trading away that #1 pick if the right offer presented itself.

Dom Capers also talked about entertaining the possibility of trading down in the 2002 draft in his March 12, 2001 Caper's Corner segement on the Texans website. If the team cannot trade the pick, they haven't bothered to tell the Head Coach yet (or hadn't as of March 12th).

Personally, I've never heard him (Casserly)say the pick cannot be traded, nor has such a thing ever been mentioned in any article about the team that I've read (and that's been a bundle).

It would be unprecedented to saddle the Texans with a restriction against trading their #1 pick. None of the rest of the expansion teams faced such a restriction (Carolina did trade theirs. Jacksonville coule have. Carmen Policy talked about entertaining offers for the Browns #1 pick in their expansion year).

------------------
    Houston Sports Board

[This message has been edited by mrpaige (edited April 19, 2001).]

15. Band Geek Mobster

Remember I said, I don't think the Texans are allowed to trade away their number 1 pick next season.

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

[​IMG]

16. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Give their pick to New England.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

17. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I would seriously considedr trading down (maybe to Seattle with 2 high #1 picks). Vick is a great athlete but his QB skills are suspect. He can't read defenses yet (he's more likely to tuck it under his arm and run if he gets confused), he didn't play in a pro-style ofense at Va Tech and Va Tech had to cut down there playbook so Vick could understand it.
    Vick is a great athlete and could change the NFL, but I honestly don't think so.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

VICK is the real deal
    beleive that . . If they let him loose
    and not do that bull**** 'bring him along'
    **** [SEE MCNAIR - he was WAY READY . . .]

Rocket River
    I remember a former GRAMBLING QB that lite up
    some team in a superbowl for like 5 touchdowns

------------------

19. gr8-1

Who posted the aritcle about the doctor who advised SD to not pick Leaf ? The doctor was on FOX last nite, and he said that Vick did have the brain-type to be a successful QB.

------------------

20. gr8-1

They just traded it to ATL. Now, I guess ATL gets Vick, SD gets Davis/LT plus some extra picks and Tim Dwight.

------------------