1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What should I do?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JBIIRockets, Aug 8, 2013.

?

What should I do?

Poll closed Sep 7, 2013.
  1. Switch to Comcast

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. Stay with Directv

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Should I...

A ----- Switch to Comcast, with all room DVR, that holds a total of 60 HD Hours, while I would also get the Rockets and Astros...but only get the NFL RED ZONE.

or B, stay with Direct TV, get to keep my 100 Hour HD DVR, get to add a 200 Hour HD DVR Genie and other HD receivers, with Free NFL ticket this year, 300 HOURS to store DVR content for any room DVR, ...... and continue to watch the Rockets on a crappy stream.

All for the same price of around 100 a month if you include monthly fees for HD DVR boxes and HD Receivers and taxes.

Decisions.

(DO some people have.....both?)

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Houston Rockets. All that matters.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

B

VLC streams in HD aren't crappy.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I tend to watch Texans, Rockets, and Astros...so Comcast would be the choice.

5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

You can also get League Pass broadband for $120 and use a proxy to watch games.

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Directv. Get league pass through DirecTV (so you can watch all other NBA games) and since it comes included with league pass broadband, get a quality VPN service, and watch Rockets in HD.

If you have an Android device, download DirecTV app, and NBATV will not be blacked out via app if the Rockets happen to play on NBATV (since NBATV games are blacked out on league pass). Your receiver MUST be connected to the internet.

Don't want to watch on a tiny screen, get an MHL adapter for your Android device, hook up to your tv via HDMI and profit. Unfortunately, the iPhone and iPad DirecTV apps do recognize black outs.

7. JBIIRockets

Scion, here comes some "dummies" questions..

what is a VPN and and how do I buy it or sign up?

I do have an ASUS android tablet, so I'm good there. what is an MHL adapter? ( I will google.)

what is a proxy?

8. Scionxa

VPN's (virtual private network) create an encrypted ‘tunnel’ between your computer and the host. In my opinion it is way better than a proxy. Many people here confuse the two terms

The one I personally use is http://privateinternetaccess.com

This website does a good job explaining what a proxy is
    http://www.bestvpn.com/blog/4085/proxies-vs-vpn-whats-the-difference/

MHL adapter is mobile high definition link. It pretty much enables you to plug in a device to a TV via HDMI and mirror what is showing on the device.

Not sure what type of Asus tablet. (If it's a Nexus 7, it won't work) but you may be okay with one of these .

http://www.asus.com/Tablet_Mobile_Accessories/Micro_HDMI_to_HDMI_Cable/ You can also search Amazon

9. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

you get to the point where how much DVR storage do you really need, gotta ask yourself that question. Also you get rockets and astros. I vote comcast

10. BALLhog 247 365

for those who recently got comcast, what kind of new customer deals were you able to get??

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think there needs to be an "Alternatives to Comcast/CSN" thread where guys like scionxa explain things like this. There are some others on here who also have good get-arounds to watch the Rockets.

After reading this thread, I might go the route of DirecTV/Comcast (or Uverse) internet and get league pass like scion suggests. But I would like to know how much money each set up will cost me. Need to figure that out.

12. Scionxa

A lot of people suggest league pass broadband, which is great. However, if you already have cable/satellite, getting the TV version is worth it IMO. Especially since it already comes with LP Broadband and Mobile included. Plus you have the added convenience of just changing the channel from the remote you're already used to.

Not sure about other providers but League Pass on DirecTV is all in HD, and a lot of the times they'll show the home and away announcers. When I was with Time Warner Cable in Austin, only one game was in HD a night, and they randomly chose which announcers you were going to get.

Yeah, I've made multiple posts about it. When the season starts I'll most likely make a video showing everyone how to do it.

As far as pricing goes, if you get the early bird special, it's usually $10 off. $179 which you can pay in monthly installments. (This is the TV, Mobile, and Broadband)

The VPN I mentioned above is $6.95 monthly, or you can pay for the year.

13. Scionxa

I will go ahead and say this though, if you don't feel comfortable doing any of the stuff I mention and you are willing to switch to Comcast. That might be the easiest thing.

I personally have access to Comcast, and one of the main reasons why I got rid of it was that they only had one HD channel dedicated to League Pass, and it always showed **** games like Bobcats vs Bucks.

Plus, their boxes are terrible. I have the Genie now and it's bad ass.

X1 is supposedly really good though.

14. JBIIRockets

Decision made.
    Going with Comcast. I hate not having NFL ticket, but I'll live.

I'm getting the triple play with TV (Digital preferred), internet, and a security system. price locked in for 2 years. Have to keep the internent and the security system for 3 years however, oh well.

I am getting the X1.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

How do you get rockets if you have direct? Or link me to source brih

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

My friend was telling me about this to get privacy from the job's Internet.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't have Direct. I was referring to the VLC reddit streams last year.

Scion has vowed to educate us on using a VPN to get the Rockets on league pass. For this education I eagerly await.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

This. Stick with Dtv.

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

No need to wait, he's explained how to do it several times in several different threads.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'd go with the first one. But Dvr hours wouldn't matter to me, I don't record much. I also am pretty much only interested in watching the texans so the nfl thing wouldn't bother me either. Rockets would be a MUST however.