1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What should be the goal of the draft? A sure thing or higher risk/reward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 27, 2021.

1. bmd

bmd Member

I see Cade, Mobley, and Suggs as the sure thing picks. I think all 3 will be very good NBA players to varying degrees. I think their floor is very high.

Green, however, seems to be the riskier pick with a higher reward. He has superstar potential, but the odds of him becoming a superstar I would assume are lower than the 3 other guys becoming very good players.

With Green’s style of play, it seems like he’d be more prone to be a boom or bust pick. He could be a walking bucket who teams gameplan their their entire defense to slow down, or he could end up being a dime a dozen bench scorer who doesn’t do anything else.

So how should the Rockets play this one? Do you even agree with my premise? Do they pick a guy they are more sure will be a solid player, or do you try to swing for the homerun even if it greatly increases your odds of striking out?

burlesk and BamBam like this.
  2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

What should be the goal of the draft? A sure thing or higher risk/reward?

[​IMG]

…….
    …….
    …….

D-rock and burlesk like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Highest ceiling. We’re looking for Diamonds, not sapphires

4. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I have no favorite in this draft but why are you comparing the probability of Green being a superstar with the probability that Cade, Mobley or Suggs become "very good players"? Something about that seems off.

6. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Sry. Hit send too fast…

You have to go for higher upside when you have a chance. Much more rare to be in a position to acquire a great player than a very good one. Teams need GREAT to win it all.
    If you feel Green has the highest upside you take the chance now. You never know when that opportunity returns.

theDude, csnerd84 and Denovo like this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I've been critical of Green, but I don't see how he has a low floor. Lower than Suggs? Absolutely. But the ability to score tends to translate. Guys like Kuminga and Barnes are better examples of low ceiling/high floor prospects.

8. bmd

bmd Member

Because I think their floor is higher. Green’s ceiling is higher, but floor is lower because he isn’t as polished as a complete basketball player as the other 3. The others can do more things as of right now.

Due to Green’s skill set, I think it’s less likely he settles in as a “very good player” and think he’s more of a boom or bust type.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not effing up.

That is the goal of this draft.

"And I hate losing. I hate losing more than I love winning." - Brad Pitt as Billy Bean

D-rock and burlesk like this.
  10. steddinotayto

Guards drafted in the top 5 over the past 10 years:

2011: Kyrie Irving ***
    2012: Bradley Beal ***
    2012: Dion Waiters
    2013: Victor Oladipo ***
    2014: Dante Exum
    2015: D'Angelo Russell ***
    2016: Jaylen Brown ***
    2016: Kris Dunn
    2017: Markell Fultz
    2017: Lonzo Ball
    2017: Jayson Tatum ***
    2017: De'Aaron Fox
    2018: Trae Young ***
    2019: Ja Morant
    2019: Darius Garland

15 players with 7 of those making at least 1 all-star team (***). Of the remaining 8, you can probably pencil in Ja being a future All-Star. In terms of bust, you can probably say Exum and Dunn are lost causes with Fultz, Ball, and Garland being at least good role players.

Of the 15 players five (bolded) were drafted as primarily as a shooting guard. Out of those five players only one (Waiters) did not turn into an All-Star player.

Given the scouted/perceived talent/strength of the prospects at the top of the list I'd say the odds of Green being a bust is not as high as you would think.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Another thinly veiled jab at Jalen?

vlaurelio and dmoneybangbang like this.
  12. bmd

bmd Member

Great points.

burlesk likes this.
  13. bmd

bmd Member

No. Jalen Green has been my pick from the start. Maybe I’m getting cold feet as the draft approaches.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tons of room inbetween.

2 extremes on the spectrum.

15. Denovo

Denovo Member

And Dion Waiters has a ring… technically lol

steddinotayto likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

Conversely, bigs that have been drafted in the top 5 over the past 10 years:

2011: Derrick Williams
    2011: Enes Kanter
    2011: Tristan Thompson
    2011: Jonas Valanciunas
    2012: Anthony Davis ***
    2012: Thomas Robinson
    2013: Anthony Bennett
    2013: Cody Zeller
    2013: Alex Len
    2014: Joel Embiid ***
    2014: Aaron Gordon
    2015: Karl Anthony Towns ***
    2015: Jahlil Okafor
    2015: Kristaps Porzingis ***
    2016: Dragan Bender
    2018: Deandre Ayton
    2018: Marvin Bagley Jr
    2018: Jaren Jackson Jr
    2019: Zion Williamson ***

19 players with only 5 All-Stars (***). I think Ayton will be due for a berth and maybe JJJ but that still gives you 7 out of 19 players. Of the remaining 12, you gotta think 8 make a strong case for bust (bolded) status.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Just weird that it has to be boom or bust with Jalen, but with the other guys fans are ok with being patient and giving them YEARS to develop. Why shouldnt the other guys have the same expectations? If they become "OK" players and are taken in the top 5 of the draft I'd be a disappointed fan. Yet with Jalen he will have to be All NBA it seems and there wont be any middle ground allowed. Doesnt seem to be a fair EVAL, and its been spun around here in multiple ways to diminish what he CAN do, while the other guys get passes for what they CANT do currently. It is what it is. I think Jalen will take the league by storm so Im not worried, but it feels like he will never live up to the expectations of his detractors. If he does become All star, All NBA, then they will shift to him "saying he was Kobe" and talks of championships he hasnt won yet! Lose/Lose.

Dobbizzle and steddinotayto like this.
  18. bmd

bmd Member

I guess the reason it feels that way is because he is supposed to be an elite scorer, and he doesn’t do anything else particularly well. He’s not a great defender or facilitator. Scoring is supposed to be his bread and butter. So if he is an elite scorer, it’s a boom. If he’s not, it’s a bust because there isn’t anything else he can fall back on. He has one narrow path. If all he ends up doing is scoring decently well and not at an elite level, Jalen Green becomes another Gerald Green.

With the others, they do more than one thing really well where they can carve out a successful NBA career on. They seem to have several paths to become a successful player in the league.

That’s just kind of how I feel at this moment. My feeling could change. If Green was also a really good defender or a really good facilitator, I’d feel a lot better about the pick.

19. steddinotayto

I mean if he was a noted as a really good defender or really good facilitator then he'd probably be picked at #1 over Cade right? These kids are coming in with unpolished games to their names, even Cade and even Mobley. There's no top 5 prospect this year that screams "He's the total complete package" or, what you're alluding to, a "sure thing".

There were some scouts/writers that questioned whether or not Harden was going to have a reliable 3 point shot when he was a prospect.

burlesk likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think those people who have pushed a "bad defender and bad passer" narrative have had ulterior motives. If you dive into the film you can see a willing defender. An above average rebounder and a guy who see's the court well for a "scorer". His handle is not as loose as they will try to tell you.

To say that every other top pick other than Jalen Green does "more than one thing well" is not encapsulating the full debate and it shows flashes of bias IMO. I understand you may be on the Green side of things and thats cool, but there really is no wrong choice. The top guys are not separated by that much talent so you have to dig deeper. Who has the dog in them? Who has that relentless drive to be the best? You can see that in film. You can see who creates gravity for their team. Mobley was a support player. Suggs was a support player. Cade is a catalyst like Jalen, but without the athleticism. He gets credited for "good defense" because of his measurables, but if you look at film the guy breaks down alot on defense. He is an offensive minded player, who has the stats to play good D, but does not give all out effort on that side, but yet the story is he's some lock down dude.

Its all a popularity contest at this point. Nobody is revealing anything new. Mobley and Suggs didnt even want to work out here. Cade is from Dallas. The choice is clear! LOL

ilovehtownbb and burlesk like this.