1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What organization is more important to this City?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

1. Rockets
    2. Astros
    3. That "pro" football team that plays here

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

let's see, a team that's been here since 1971 and "recently" won a couple of titles vs a team that's only 5 years old in its existence. :rolleyes:

dude, we know how you feel about the Texans.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

did you just mistakenly answer his question?

4. msn

msn Member

What, no Comets???

(sorry, couldn't resist)

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it would have confused some people here, like Sheryl Swoopes cross over :eek: ;)

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I watch the Texans and cheer.

I BLEED the Rockets and it makes me :sadface/angry night: when they lose.

Not even close.

I'm an Astro/Rocket DIEHARD....Texans, eh. They aren't my Oilers.

7. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

I think it is

1. Astros
    2. Rockets
    3. Texans

Roger Clemens turned this into baseball town, plain and simple. He brought success, legitamacy and glory to the organization. The playoff and World Series runs took the city by storm.

10 yrs ago this was a no brainer. The Rockets were coming off back to back NBA World Championships, the first professional championships in Houston history, and the Rockets were BELOVED, not to mention the Oilers just left town. After a few yrs, Olaujuwon and Drexler and Barkley were gone, and they endured yrs of mediocrity and losing not going to the playoffs in 4 yrs and suddenly the Rockets didn't matter, the Astros were winning and going to the playoffs.

The Texans came along and were huge for the first 2 yrs and them came the Astros sucess and the Rockets aquistion of Tracy McGrady and a 50 win season and exciting playoff series w/ Dallas. Then the Texans blew up last yr and completely spurned their entire fanbase by not taking the hometown hero and sticking with the David zero, and then taking Mario over Reggie. The Texans are now a joke in the eyes of the NFL and Houston.

Now for the first time in a long time, there is true legitimate belief that the Rockets have a team capable of being a title contender, and the Astros may be poised to have their best season ever, and the Texans will have 70,000 fans cheering for the opponent on Sunday. That is the sports landscape of Houston.

8. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

What is the point of this poll ?

I don't know how the whole city feels, but I like the Rockets a lot more than I like the Texans...because I like basketball more than football. If I were to judge based on bumper stickers and media coverage, I would say the Texans and Astros are more important to people (which sucks).

Here's the the poll you should have made...

What organization is more important to Houston?

Texans
    Titans

I don't have anything against QB Titans, I think he should have won the Heisman last year, but he now plays for the guy that destroyed the Houston Oilers and I dislike him and that team more than any other franchise in sports. I remember that season when everyone knew they were leaving, yet we still had to watch them play here... it was disgusting.

I also dislike that when I type "Houston Oilers" into wikipedia it sends me to the Tennessee Titans page.

There is no point in bringing up the Rockets here... it's just dumb.

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I voted the Rockets because when I was over in Italy and Greece this past summer talking to folks and I say I'm from Houston they say Rockets/Yao/T-Mac/Spanoulis most have no clue about the Texans and not a single person could tell me anything about the Astros or baseball so as far as the world goes I think the more international team is more important.

In addition being the only title winner of the big three they are very important to this city IMO.

The Texans are second because this is an NFL town and a NFL country so to have them do well is great for the city.

The Astros are third because why baseball is important in many parts of the world it is not even close to the importance of basketball, and in this country baseball is either second to the nfl in most markets or third to the nfl and nba in others.

When I was a kid growing up here in Houston it was Rockets #1 Oilers a very close #2 and Astros a very close #3

I love all the teams and never miss a game so to me they are all important.

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

To the city?

Astros, Texans, Rockets

To me?

Rockets, Astros, Texans

A part of why I like basketball is because rednecks/meatheads don't.

11. texanskan

I know plenty of rednecks/meatheads who like the Rockets

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

1) Rockets:They have always been my favorite teama and basketball is my favoritesport
    2) Astros: i'm not abig fan of baseball, I havealways found baseball fairly boring. But the success they have had over the years have made me a fan. They are te only baseball team I really watch.
    3) Dynamo: Instant success. They have won the championship every year they've been in houston

4) Texans: Not a fan at all. I was excited when they first began but after watching them for a few years and seeing how badly this organization has been run, I cant stand them. They suck and I am not concerned with them at all.

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'll intentionally answer it.

the Rockets, to me, are more important to this city. that doesn't take away what the Texans mean either. ever since this whole VY, Carr, UT, Texans debacle, it just seems tinman is going out of his way to bash the Texans in every thread.

why didn't he include the Astros? to make it simple? yea, sure.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Rockets
    Texans
    Astros

I actually like the Texans, even though they suck. I know that comes as a shock to a lot of people here, but what can I say.

15. MadMax

i think it's awesome that you feel that strongly about the texans. i don't understand it, but i'm a bit jealous of it, frankly.

16. texanskan

You and others will have that connection one day, as for now stay with them it only is gonna make it that much better when they win.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I like the Rockets the most, which is why I post in a Rockets forum. But football, and the Texans, are more important to the city.

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

The Rockets haven't been out of the 1st round playoffs in 10 years. I also remember the Oiler seasons of the early '80s, we sucked.

I have been through this many times before so your allegiance doesn't shock me. People becoming fans of others teams kind of does.

19. MadMax

no i won't. my kids will. i won't. i've come to realize a texans championship will never ever never mean to me what an oilers championship would have meant.

it won't mean what a rockets championship would mean.

it most definitely wouldn't mean to me what an Astros championship would mean -- in truth, i just pray to God I see this before I die. i would cry like a little girl if the Astros won a World Series.

i would be really happy for my sons if the texans won. particularly my older son who loves them. and i root for them as i watch with him. but it's just very different.

20. Buck Turgidson

If you look at attendance numbers & TV ratings, the Astros are enjoyed by a far greater number of Houstonians than the other sports. 3 million in attendance 2 of the past 4 years, 2.7 & 2.5 the other 2.

I know they play more games, skewing the gross attendance, but isn't that a factor in their favor? They give Houstonians more opportunity for entertainment. They're also - by leaps & bounds - the most affordable of the major sports.

MMP was one of the leading - possibly even the *main* - catalysts in the redevelopment of downtown.

I guess it comes down to how you define "importance".