1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Westbrook's trade value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Nov 14, 2020.

?

WB trade value?

1. Cap relief and a lottery pick

11.6%
  2. Cap relief, Young player such as mitchell robinson AND a lottery pick

27.5%
  3. Star* player, such as paul george, drue holiday, hield, cj mccollum or better

26.1%
  4. Cap relief and 1st round pick or Less.

34.8%
  1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

The trade value of WB has been a much discussed topic since his arrival in houston and it's become even moreso in the past week.

We've heard multiple trade rumors involving WB. These rumors/conjectures are sometimes as high as involving WB for paul george/buddy hield or as low as the knicks only offering randall and a late first. Some include lottery picks others only an exchange of equally problematic players/contracts like blake griffin or k love.

WB is imo still a very good player, perhaps even top 20 and definitely capable of statistical production equalled by a only handful in the league. Unfortunately his trade value is negatively impacted by his age, contract, style of play and fit. Each of which presents a major concern and limits the actual number of teams that would be interested.

Personally I chose option D. Salary relief and a 1st rounder or less. It's not a reflection of how good he is, but off how problematic his contract, age and fit are. Which is why I don't think the rockets will be trading him this season, barring a terrible start/injuries etc.

Kim and IvanLCPM like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think we'll see a better return than some / many think .... I expect they come away with at least a very good young player and a pick in the 8-14 range or a slightly lesser player and an earlier pick.

Could also end up with multiple pretty good players and a later pick.

Lots of options for Rah Fell or Patrick ....

D-rock and Dacamel like this.
  3. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

I've been pretty high when reading lots of these trade rumors...and it's been a great laugh. The dude is still pretty much a triple double machine for a couple of more years. He is not Ryan Anderson.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

3rd team all NBA 19/20

Here is a Kamba Walker vs Westbrook numbers comparison:
    https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm..._id2=walkeke02&idx=bbr__players&p2yrfrom=2020

Player (19/20)........pts........rebs......ast.........FG%........3P%.......FT%..........PER.....WS......salary
    Kemba Walker........20.4........3.9..........4.8........42.5%......38.1%......86.4%.......20.0.....5.9.......$34.2M
    Westbrook...............27.2.......7.9..........7.0........47.2%......25.6%......76.3%.......21.0.....4.2.......$41.4M
    (Keep in mind Harden lead the league in pts per game at 34 pts.....next closest was 30 pts....WB not far from)

18/19 Westbrook......22.9......11.1.........10.7......42.8%......29.0%......65.6%.......21.1.....6.8...................

Salaries (20/21):
    Kemba.....$34.2M
    Kyrie........$33.3M (always injured)
    Lillard.......$31.6M (20/21-age 30).......$43.7M (21/22-age 31)
    Westbrook..$41.2M

So I see Westbrook valued around $37 M......willing to take back approx $30-$35M from a team in players/picks......payroll reduction is most important to me.

jdiggidy and Shark44 like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Please add a cap relief only option, and a negative pick option.

SamFisher and harold bingo like this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Neutral to slightly negative.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think it's really hard to say, cause it really depends on the single team and situation, some teams are probably more desperate then others in trying to be somehow relevant, either cause they didn't make the playoffs for years (Hornets/Pistons/Suns) or cause they are a big market (Knicks) and fans/media are pushing hard to have something to watch and talk about. Then you have teams that might have a good but disgruntled player, and they might end up overpaying for a Westbrook because they don't have a better choice so, on paper all of the choices in the poll could be realistic.

With that said, if i'd have to guess in this specific case, i'd say the best we can hope for is something like a solid young player with limited potential (Ntilikina) or a bust looking young player with good potential (Knox) more than a Robinson (who's probably already a 13+13+3 guy if he plays 30 minutes), a lottery pick outside of the top 3 range (like the 8th pick of the Knicks) and some cap relief.

#7 Vivi, Nov 14, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Kim, joshuaao, IvanLCPM and 4 others like this.
  8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

You make a great point...which is... it only takes one. Even if the rest of the league views WB as a negative value, the rockets only need one dolan or some other to deliver a great package.

fattz, Ramo$e and D-rock like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hornets, Knicks, Cavs are motivated buyers.

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

A used condom option?!

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not 2 firsts & 2 pick swaps. ;)

Not as high as some of these proposals I’m seeing.

“Russ sucks! Russ sucks! Russ sucks!” ... “Give us the 3rd pick, 8th pick, a top 10 pick.” Ha

The hell Nick Wright smoking?

Yeah, sure, some mediocre/garbage East teams might be interested. (Hornets, Knicks, Magic, Pistons)

pr0wler, Ramo$e and blahblehblah like this.
  12. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Based by these Delusional Knicks fans..... A bag of Doritos lol

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Those are a lot of options actually.

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

yeah I thought about it, but didn't think many would choose the option. Pretty much option 4 which is what I picked would include neutral or less.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing we can hope for, and fortunately a lot of those ass for ages teams are bad organizations with bad owners and/or without a pg so, we're actually in a pretty great situation here (free agency is also kinda ass), if we cannot get something decent out of Westbrook now, it really speaks volumes about his value.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

if he's not worth Mitchell Robinson and the #8 Pick, it's not worth trading him.

Ramo$e and HP3 like this.
  17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Bro, we were the one.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah lol.

- Portland isn't swapping CJ with Russ, would make zero sense and Lillard would ask out as soon as he reads the Woj tweet.

- Indiana isn't dumb, i think.

- Kings are dumb but they also have Fox so it makes no sense to pair him with Russ when they already have a perfect fit in Hield.

- The Cavs literally just drafted two point guards in two consecutive years so, i don't know, i guess they might want to pair Russ with Drummond (and why not Love if that's the case?), still, why would the Rockets do this? Cause Love can spread the floor with his "something something gravity"...? Yeah, no thanks.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Westbrook is going to regress soon, but still will be a semi monster in the lanes, the problem is who wants to take on 3 years at that salary, so it basicly turns him into cap hazard, this is why the rockets are considering lifting him. If the rockets would of had success pairing him with james and took the Lakers to 7 in the bubble, none of this would be on the forums these days.

It just the rockets lack roster spots because of his salary. The Nba knows the rockets need him gone they are playing with No Center or Back up Power Forward, or A Back up Center lol.

~ That Cap hazard degrades him to maybe Cap Relieft, 1 Bad Contract, a Ok player and Pick 1st rd(Late).
    ~ Hes Worth thou 2 FFRP, Good player, and Rookie.

Note : Good player would be like Gordon but not a Great to near Allstar.

Ramo$e likes this.
  20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I agree. WB is still a super star. In a place that needs a star and someone to draw fans to put on a show he could be gold. NYK seems so logical and I think they know they need someone like Russ to energize the fan base and team. With Thibs as coach, having a relentless player like WB will only feed the frenzy he thrives on. Leon is trying to play it cool and low ball Raf, so maybe we get someone else to throw something better at us and we get NYK or someone else to up the ante.

joshuaao, Plowman and Vivi like this.