1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Is The Endgame???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Assuming Silas isn’t the worst coach in Rocket history (which I believe he definitely is) and is just intentionally throwing games to get a top 5 pick, what is our endgame? Is it getting a Chad Holmgren type to pair with KPJ and Wood? If so, does that mean our team all of a sudden is competitive or does it just add one more rookie to this wonderful defense and turnover disaster that has occurred since Silas’ takeover of the team. This team isn’t another talented kid or two away from the playoffs….another Christopher or Green ain’t taking us anywhere except years of learning the speed of the game and how to play defense. Are we realistically looking at multiple more years of less than 20 wins a season? Just some questions designed as a middle finger thank you to Tillman who has slowly destroyed the proud tradition of Houston Rockets basketball.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Suck until we get a player/players that will get us somewhere, then build from there

I don't get why this is co complicated for people

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

We aren't anywhere near the endgame.

Just because a player is currently on the roster does not mean they are part of a championship pla for 3 years time.

Championship is a thought bubble for later. KPj and Wood may not even be here for Step 3, let alone 4 or 5

Step 1, accumulated talent
    Step 2, see if any of that talent has all star potential
    Step 3, acquire pieces to fit around talent
    Step 4, add a big name (via FA or trade) to pursue Championship
    Step 4, acquire pieces to fit around Championship

We are stuck in steps 1 and 2 until we find legitimate all star talent that produces consistently.
    Patience is required

4. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I think it's a combination of things:

1) Another lottery pick (Chet or whoever) and more draft picks in the upcoming and future drafts
    2) Develop Green into a superstar
    3) Move vets/slightly talented players for picks at the deadline
    4) Good FA Signings (I could see us going after Jalen Smith this offseason)
    5) Develop talent through g-league/on court time for emerging young players
    6) At some point make a move where we combine multiple emerging young players and a few picks for a disgruntled superstar

groovemachine and Imanimal like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's still hilarious how people are shocked that this team sucks and that the rockets are years and years away from being any sort of relevant. that was always what is going to happen when you're rebuilding from scratch. find that 1st player that can clearly impact winning and that you can build around. And yes the rockets are still searching for that.

wake up already. you're way behind. that goes for anyone still trying to make themselves believe this team was anywhere near being some playoff team.

topfive, Corrosion, Amel and 9 others like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

a lot of people are of the mindset that we suck for 2 years and then sign some free agents in 2023 and start competing…they make it sound so easy

varughese.arun, jim1961 and macho87 like this.
  7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, basically this. I don't think the rockets are losing on purpose or throwing games, they're just not a very good team. The "tanking" solves itself, it ends naturally when it's ready to end. You draft players and put them out there, if those guys are actually good at basketball then they will start winning games. That's when the tanking is over. If you are a horrible franchise and never draft any good players then it would go on indefinitely. If we get a Luka/Trae/Zion/Ja level player in this coming draft then it will end next year. It ends when the team is good enough to win games.

8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Imagine SIlas playing Chet over his fave Wood ha! We dont even know what we have now because we dont have the proper development coach to see. No use in looking forward to another rookie that we wont use correctly. I dont see a way out of this other than fire SIlas and trade everyone over 25 but it just doesnt look like thats a possibility. We are the new Knicks/Kings/Pistons overplaying vets and hiring bad coaches.

Imanimal likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It's not easy.

You had Harden leave a ton of OLD players.

This turned into 3 years of Wall's contract which also coincides with the Rockets keeping their picks then the contract ends and the Rockets lose their pick(s). That's the timeframe that the Rockets were entered into it doesn't make a lot of sense to use assets to rid yourself of the contract nor be as competitive as you can be (me a middling team at best) then start to lose your picks to the Thunder in a few years.

So whatever you want to call this situation this is what it is. It's not complicated.

10. conquistador#11

Rockets 2009-2010, missed playoffs.
    Rockets 2010-2011, missed playoffs.
    Rockets 2011-2012, missed playoffs.
    Rest in peace K-mart's kick and rip through move who was cancelled by the league but then all the players stole Martin's moves.
    And that team had some future star players in Lowry and Gogi
    Whatever the Rockets are doing now, makes me miss the milkhair offense.

Dacamel likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Your first mistake is thinking that KPJ and Wood are going to be around for the long haul.

Amel, Deckard, Haymitch and 3 others like this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm not sure how much the Rockets want to compete at this point.

I think if they wanted to be a low seed or play in team they could have made moves to that effect.

Going with another coach who knows wtf they're doing would have been the biggest boost. Also, they could have tried to retain olynk, played John wall as starting PG. Not given House so many minutes early on....not taken so long to go away from Theis starting...

There's some things they could have done to put a better product on the floor that have been pretty obvious to all involved.

Which makes me believe they don't really care about sneaking into the playoffs. They'd rather see if they struck gold with kpj, build Woods trade value and land another top pick or two.

IMO, if they get a top three player in the draft again it's time to stop the tanking.

DeBeards and Dacamel like this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

How do you know the talent has all-star potential if the coaching is so bad that they never have a chance of developing? Seems like a pretty huge flaw in your plan tbh.

NewAge likes this.
  14. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

You see how good Embiid was yesterday? Get a guy THAT good first. Better if you can. Figure out the plan after that.

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You really don't think Green, Sengun, Christopher, and Tate haven't improved under our coaching staff?

Corrosion likes this.
  16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

No I think they were always this good and were held back at first. Silas didnt even play JC at first and Sengun only got 15 mins. People really need to understand what they are comparing here. Our biggest issues have been coaching issues. Im sorry thats just true. So what happens when we get these picks? We are gonna think they are busts too. Listen no matter the coach we will lose a lot of games its not just a win or lose issues it how the guys are developed and what they are developed to be. Silas doesnt know what he's doing. I think thats what people are missing here. Silas beig awful isnt just about losing. Detroit is losing too but they are developing Cade I would say in a much more fruitful way than Jalen and if you look at Killian Hayes they play him alot and give him room to grow. He's not that good but there's nothing in his way. You cant say that about our rookies. If Green had the ball in his hands and we ran plays for him often I would say they are doing great trying to teach him to be a franchise player but he's stuck in the corner and he if does get it and passes it he doesnt get it back. It sliek no one has gotten the memo that Jalen and Sengun are the future. We are more focused on KPJ and Wood and they have regressed and have bad attitudes, this is on coaching.

#16 Joe Rocket, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    tehG l i d e and Dobbizzle like this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

the endgame is making multiple alt accounts

18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

That's a double negative, it doesn't really make sense. And I don't see any major improvement in their games tbh. Green still looks totally lost on defense, and recently with the return of **** lineups he's back to low scoring despite good efficiency. Sengun has played exactly the same all season, no noticeable improvements from coaching. Christopher has less tunnel vision than before. Is that supposed to be impressive development? Go look at the other rookies around the league and see their ACTUAL development under structured systems on both ends of the floor. You should be embarrassed for that post.

edit: Tate was better last year.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Yup Tate, KPJ, Martin and Wood have all regressed.

harold bingo and Dobbizzle like this.
  20. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Championship