1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Kyle Lowry's Ceiling?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by saitou, May 4, 2009.

?

What Is KL's ceiling

1. Very good starting PG capable of making 1 or 2 allstar games

64 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. Good starting PG, capable of making the first team on a contender

295 vote(s)
    56.6%
  3. Borderline starter/Good rotation player on most teams

162 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

How, can you even say that? Lowry while solid, isn't going to be a MVP candidate any time soon, nor does he have the larger body type that Williams' has that makes him such all around threat on the court. Lowry's defense is good especially compared to Brooks but let's not go nuts and call him a superstar in the making. He has great court vision, and a knack for drawing contact but I don't see that as anything to hang a cap on him being the better point.

Did you not see how embarrassingly infective Mike James was his final season or two here? We are just lucky we got Bobby Jackson from NO last season for him and Bonzi because he was a waste of a roster spot. If we get a PG later with experience, I doubt we will go for obvious retreads on the downside of their career. But right now, I like the current situation at PG, both guys are undersized but each brings their talents (Lowry's defense and passing ability, Brooks ball handling and offense) fairly well in certain games and if nothing changes at the position for a year or so, I think we could be worst positions.

2. blender

blender Member

I agree, Lowry is the perfect point guard for our second unit. He's playing with Wafer and Landry, two high-energy guys who thrive off his playmaking skills and ability to push the pace.

He's also good at infusing energy into the game when Brooks is playing a subpar game, as well as subbing in for tough defensive assignments, and slowing down the game when we're protecting a big lead.

He's young and learning, but he's everything we could want from a backup PG.

3. BigEleven

BigEleven Member

Ditto. A Derek Fisher w/ better defensive skills. That is what I see in Lowry and that is what I think his ceiling will be.

As for Brooks, what I see is a mini Mike James, speedier but worse on defense.

4. BigEleven

BigEleven Member

Mike James was actually a pretty decent player if he could have kept his head straight. I am from Michigan so I watch the Pistons. During their Championship season, Mike James was rotated in to provide hard nose defense and offensive spark off the bench. He did just that and he did well. It was later this guy somehow got an image of himself bigger than what he actually was then he started to deteriorate his teams.

Just like Mike James, Brooks would never be a qualified starter of a contender team. But he is a legitimate rotation player coming in to change rhythm and pace of a game and provide some instant offensive power. That is the place for Brooks in this team.

5. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

A year and a half has passed since this thread was started, and Lowry's now proving he's a good starter in this league. I wasn't expecting his shooting to improve much, it's been a pleasant surprise :) Anyone changed their opinions on Lowry's potential since then? Right now option 2 of the poll looks like the most likely career path.

6. trugoy

trugoy Member

I think he is gonna be mookie blaylock.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

WHat is Lowry's ceiling? Well, Lowry has more talent than Derek Fisher in his prime.

You got me man... I thought was a new thread. :mad:

#67 Old Man Rock, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Shooting has always been the lead weight around his neck. Over the last 10 games he has shot very well. If he has in fact found a jumper he could be a great starter, bordering on All-Star, his game is that good.

Having said that, it's only a small sample. I wanna give this at least a few months to see how it goes over a larger sample. Without the jumper he's only a good rotation player/spot-starter.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And the one I voted for......

DD

10. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

This is true. I don't think it's a question of "starter" versus "backup." It just depends what other players are on the court, and what their strengths are. If you have scorers and good shooters on the court, he's a fine fit. The idea of starters and backups is kind of silly anyway. It's more about minutes, or it should be.

11. Sanity2disChaos

He has a higher ceiling than brooks due to his many intangibles. If he starts to hit that three on a consistent basis then the sky is the limit. He will never be a better scorer than brooks but can still score the ball.

....and stop comparing the dude to cats like D.Will/Fisher,etc.!!!He is not them, he is what he is. Our starting PG until brooks comes back (or is traded)......Im not cancelling the possibility of Lowry being a topic in some trade talk. He has played himself back onto somebody "want" list.....IT IS WRITTEN.

12. Sanity2disChaos

I TOTALLY AGREE.......

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think he's at borderline starter on most teams right now. I went with the second option, because with sufficient experience I think could possibly become a solid starter on a championship-level team. In an Avery Johnson sort of way.

14. durvasa

DD changed his mind. :eek:

Kudos.

15. DaDakota

Not at all, it asked what his ceiling was....I still think it is his ceiling...I also think Brooks ceiling is significantly higher.

DD

16. durvasa

I thought you said in the past that Lowry will always be a career backup. I must have been mistaken.

17. passdarock

passdarock Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yao4REAL
    I feel Kyle is the next Chris Paul, Deron Williams type. He could do everything. He's just as aggressive as those guys.

^^What! I like the rockets and Kyle Lowry but let's not get out delusional.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

No, you weren't. But that's okay. I know DaDa likes Lowry just like most of us like Aaron.

I can't wait for Aaron to get back and give us a boost. But I also KNOW that for us to be most effective, Lowry has to be on the floor for around 36 minutes or more per game. He simply makes us that much better and we have NO ONE else that can give us what he gives us.

Right now, if you take Lowry away from this team, we go back to the cellar and become one of the worst if not the absolute worst teams in the league. And if we get Aaron back and lose Lowry, we will be averaging about 110 ppg but we will be losing because the games will turn into runaway track meets and we will lose in the 4th most of the time as other teams with superior athletes run us down in the end. Lowry is a winner, period.

19. DaDakota

"Has" always been a career backup.....but his CEILING is a starter if he can improve his shot....and consistency.

He has had some really good games against some really bad teams.....if he could do it against the CP3s, Rondos, Dwills, and Roses of the game he might unseat Brooks.

But right now, Lowry is doing what he has always done, feasted on weaker opponents, it is why he is so effective off the bench.

DD

20. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

One noteworthy stat for Kyle so far this season... he's shooting 37% from 3-pt land. 10% improvement from his career average.