1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Kyle Lowry's Ceiling?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by saitou, May 4, 2009.

?

What Is KL's ceiling

1. Very good starting PG capable of making 1 or 2 allstar games

64 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. Good starting PG, capable of making the first team on a contender

295 vote(s)
    56.6%
  3. Borderline starter/Good rotation player on most teams

162 vote(s)
    31.1%
  1. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I think a future Derek Fisher is in the cards for this guy. Not great, but a very solid contributor on a championship caliber team. Their body types are almost identical.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

From what I have seen, Lowry is actually able to make open threes quite competently. It is simply that he rarely shoots the three as he prefers to drive it in and draw contact. On the few threes he does take, quite a few are jacked up from half court as the quarter ends.

3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I'm not as worried about his 3point shooting, because his mid-range game is ok, and his TS% is good (higher than Wafer and Artest this year for HOU). I think his best chance of getting more minutes right now during the Lakers series will be to cut down on bad turnovers. There were times in the Portland series when Adelman had Lowry in after Brooks made bad decisions, but then Lowry proceeded to make bad errors as well.

ambrose86: It's fine to think Brooks is better than Lowry, but what's your opinion on Lowry's potential?

4. chenjy9

Supporting Member

We have him signed for a mil right? At a mil, his skillset and potential is amazing when relative to his salary.

5. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Lowry is a great foil to Brooks, but you guys are crazy if you think Lowry could be better than Brooks long term. Brooks makes more mistakes at this point, and is a little more inconsistent, but he has way more weapons in his arsenal offensively. Give him another season and he'll figure out how to use them more consistently and make fewer errors.

On the other hand, I really don't expect Lowry to get much better. He's already solid on defense, and he can become a better shooter, but no way he all of the sudden becomes a more creative finisher around the basket or a better court vision. You either have those things or you don't.

6. chenjy9

Supporting Member

We do not need for him to become a creative finisher. We need him to penetrate and draw fouls. Ultimately Lowry will be better than Brooks because you cannot "learn" or "develop" court vision. You maybe able to compensate it slightly with experience and court vision, but Brook's tunnel vision will never go away. He will also never become a great finisher because his frame is far to slight.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Eric Snow in his prime, aside from 3 inches of height? Lowry is quicker and finishes better at the rim...other than that, very similar?

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Fisher has been a great shooter for many years. Lowry is never gonna hit 40% from downtown, imo..

9. Asian Sensation

He's like the Shane Battier of pg's. What I mean by that is your not going to get eye-popping statistics. If your expecting like 15+ ppg and 8+ assists per game then you're going to be extremely dissapointed. With that said Lowry is a rock solid pg who plays hard D and distributes the ball very well and penetrates and draws fouls. I don't expect him to put up huge numbers so he won't be an all-star or earn huge accolades but he's as solid as they come.

10. lyrix

lyrix Member

For those of you compare Lowry's game with Fisher or Bobby Jacson you have gotta be kidding me. They have nothing in common except for the position they play. If anything, Lowry is the next D Will, strong build, good court version, the defense, ability to finish, not afraid of contact, they even have the same weakness, the 3 ball in their early NBA careers.

And for those of you Brooks lovers, court version is something you either have or you don't at age of 25. At this age, the only thing NBA player can improve is the shotting forms and 3-ball percentage, And there is no reason Lowry cannot improve on that, see how steady his hand is when shotting the ball after getting fouled.

Coach is the only thing holding Lowry back.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Lowry's lack of a 3 point shot isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO. Guys who can shoot the 3 often fall in love with it. I'd prefer if Lowry continues to score on mid-range jumpers and at the basket. Save the three point chucking to Brooks and Ronald.

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'd say that Lowry excels at two things - finishing with contact, and finding passing lanes through traffic.

13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

His ceiling is as high as much works he puts into his jumper and decision making. Three point range and committing dumb fouls is his weaknesses.

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

People like AB for the same reason they like any other quick and flashy scoring PG, because they are more exciting. I prefer a rock solid contributor who passes well. You know exactly what he is going to give you day in and day out. With AB you have more of a game of finding which shell has the nut. Some days he's on, other days you want to choke him to death.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Brooks seems like he can only see what is in front of him and at 6 ft tall, even that is usually blocked.

16. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I think Lowry has a better chance at being a stabilizing point guard for this team. Think Rafer Alston, but a better finisher at the rim, better at drawing fouls, and a better midrange shooter. He has the instincts that a great PG needs, and the fact that Brooks appears to lack that at this time gives Lowry the edge. Brooks however will easily become a Jason Terry/Bobby Jackson type of point guard off the bench for the Rockets. But thats probably not going to start happening until next year.

17. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

To add to my own post....

I feel like he has a lot in common with Jason Kidd for these specific reasons

Commons
    -High Bball IQ
    -Tremendous leadership
    -Unselfishness
    -Finishing ability
    -Love to run and gun
    -Defensive abilities

I feel like Lowry should be the starter by now and we have limited Lowry's role way too much. There is no other pass-first PG player on this team aside from him that has his high IQ and unselfishness too.

Similar to Kidd he needs to work on his 3 point shooting. Lowry is a great mid-range shooter though, I never knew it was Tony Parker like. He has the potential to be the next Jason Kidd, but I wouldn't count on it. I do hope he starts next season though.

18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

The biggest problem here is our bench is too undisciplined and they NEED lowry to stay with them and keep then reined in...

19. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

he will be packaged up with carl landry and a pick to phoenix for nash in the off season...time for them to rebuild

nash/brooks
    tmac/wafer
    battier/artest
    scola/??
    yao/??

dont want it but just a random thought

20. chenjy9

Supporting Member

A package deal of Landry and Brooks may seem more appealing.