1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Don Nelson doing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by luckystrikes, May 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

Just a question, why is Don Nelson interested in the Rockets? Doesn't it seem odd that he's trying to coach Dallas to the finals, and is mouthing off about wanting the Houston job? No hard feelings guys, but Dallas is a lot better than us. Perhaps he's just throwing a monkey wrench into the whole deal to stall things up, perhaps doop us into getting a lesser coach. Just a thought.

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Where has he mouthed off about wanting the Houston job?

I'm not a big fan of Don Nelson, but I haven't seen any quotes where he has said anything about wanting the Houston job...

3. W Texas Rocket

I read about it in the chronicle. It said the Rockets can not contact him until after the Mavs are out of the playoffs.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Don Nelson is currently setting basketball back 55 years by intentionally fouling guys in the second quarter of games...

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If the Rockets hire Don Nelson, I'll become a fan of another team. I'd rather have Rudy T. back.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

and he won twice doing that. Winning does mean something, no?

BTW - he may have started the rumors to gig his owner? Or the rumors are as unfounded as Spurs cakewalk to Finals.

7. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose continuing Rockets fandom is dependent upon who they hire as coach.

if they hire Van Gundy, I'm gone.

signed,
    Rockets fan for 18 years

8. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

I believe that Nelson's "coaching" contract is up this year. He is still under contract for another 3-5 years in GM type roles, but his coaching contract is up. I think Cuban wants him in the front office. He has stated openly that he would rather still coach than go up in the office. Maybe he really is interested in the job.

With that being said, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

As far as I know Randy Gallaway of the Fort Worth Star Telegram started the Don Nelson rumors. It has always been my opinion of Gallaway that his main source of info is usually Jose Cuervo and since the horse races don’t make very good reading he sometimes writes about things that he has zero knowledge about like basketball. Don Nelson has publicly denied the rumors calling them ridiculous and stating that the only reason Les and CD were in Dallas was to talk to Dunleavy and Van Gumby.

10. chievous minniefield

if Nelson is showing interest behind the scenes, it's as a protective/offensive move against Cuban.

Cuban has failed to provide additional job security for Nelson all year in the way of publicly commenting on Nellie's job status past this contract.

Nelson's probably giving Cuban a little of his own medicine to spur Cuban to re-up him for next year.

and, in typical Nellie fashion, it is a pretty smart move.

if it fails, and Cuban doesn't give him more security. . . or if it backfires, and Cuban gets rid of him [which Nellie has reason to suspect that Cuban will do anyway, regardless of whether he investigates other jobs], then at least Nellie has thrown his name into the ring for the plum job out there: the coaching of Steve Francis and Yao Ming.

11. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

CM,

From the view here in Dallas you're RIGHT ON!

He's more than a little miffed that Cuban has strung him out re. continuing as a coach, despite one helluva job this year.

D R

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

As someone said in another thread, Nelson was sent by Cuban as a spy and try to sabotage the Rockets.

13. DreamMachine34

I suspect Donnie Nelson to have a hand in this. Remember, he was threatening to leave last year to coach the Nuggets, until pops convinced him to stay. He's credited for convincing the trade for Nash (which was a really, really bad deal at the time) and lobbying for Dirk, so maybe he's yearning to be a head coach rather than sitting next to Dell Harris who's probably saying to himself, "What the hell happened to me?"

14. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

"what is Don Nelson doing?" right now, he is probably having a late lunch with the russian mafia.

Easy's right. I would steer clear of the Nelsons if I was Les, that group of slimey snakes in Dallas is trying to sabotage our plans to hire a good coach.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Try again...

Bruce Bowen is setting basketball back by not being able to hit a freakin free throw. If anything is odd about the situation, its not Nelson's strategy, but Bowens inability to shoot free throws at a higher % than 3 pointers.

16. Band Geek Mobster

A fan threatening to change teams based on the coach hired for their team isn't much of a fan in my opinion...

17. chievous minniefield

what makes a team a team, BGM, if it isn't the individuals that make up the whole?

obviously, you don't know me, so I don't take offense at the suggestion that I'm not a real fan.

anyone who knows me would find that notion laughable.

the bottom line is that the Houston Rockets are:

- the players
    - the coach
    - the owner

if you find yourself hating and wishing ill toward 2 of the 3, how are you supposed to still be a fan?

if we get Brown, great. I can pull for Yao Ming, Steve Francis, and Larry Brown.

if we get Dunleavy, okay. I can pull for Yao Ming, Steve Francis, and Mike Dunleavy.

if we get Van Gundy. . . I can't pull for Van Gundy and Alexander. that's too much evil empire.

and in some ways, it would be as painful as a divorce.

but Judas A. knows a thing or two about divorce.

plus, I haven't seen anyone threatening to change teams in this thread.

I don't know that I could do that. maybe if there were some owner out there who really seemed like a stand-up guy. . . yeah, right.

at the end of the day, I get zero control over what Judas Alexander does with his team. it's not my team. it's his team.

the only say I get is whether I'm going to pull for them.

if he hires Van Gundy, that's just too much.

I don't think I'll ever be able to not want good things for Steve and Yao. but if good things for them means good things for Judas, it gets much more complicated. . .

a fan who will root for any team simply because of the name on the jersey and who pays no attention whatsoever to the guy behind the curtain pulling the strings isn't much of a thinker in my opinion. . . [no offense intended]

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Right here:
    and here:
    Fan loyalty has always intrigued me. What makes a fan stick to a team through thick and thin? Is it the players? Is it the coach? Is it the name of the team? It doesn't seem to be these things because all those have been changed for more than once. The Rockets I rooted for in the '80s is totally gone (from owner to coaches to players). But I'm still rooting for the Rockets now. So it's obvious that I didn't root for the Rockets because of those people.

Is it the location? That's a more interesting thing. Not all Rockets fans live in Houston. Why are they Rockets fans? Many, like myself, used to live in Houston but have moved to other places. But most of us keep rooting for the Rockets. Why? Why do fans seldom change their loyalty when they move to another city?

On the other hand, when a TEAM moves, it usually loses a lot of the fans. How many Oilers fans still rooted for the Oilers after they moved to Nashville? How many still rooted for them after they changed their name to Titans? As a matter of fact, I still root for the Titans. Somehow I feel loyal to guys like Jeff Fisher, Eddie George, and Steve McNair. But I know a lot of people don't. They have turned their loyalty to the Texans. Why?

I don't have any good answers.

19. chievous minniefield

I guess Smokey did threaten to root for a new team. I just said I wouldn't root for the Rockets anymore. there is a small difference.

otherwise, as to your questions. . . I wish I knew.

a lot of the teams I root for have a strong familial bond at the root of it.

when my mom married my stepdad, he introduced me to basketball and baseball, and I became a fan of the Rockets and Astros.

but I'd already been a Cowboy fan for life because my real dad had introduced me to that before anything.

beyond that, I don't know what makes a person root for a team, but I know that when you do, you make a personal investment in the team.

and just like a literal financial investment, the deposits can be burned up and frittered away.

hiring Jeff Van Gundy will be a withdrawal on an account with insufficient funds.

every day, I grow closer to becoming the bitter, old sports fan the dad of my best friend has always been.

an otherwise rational man and a very successful businessman, he is convicted to his core that all professional sports are rigged and fixed.

he's not a Judas Alexander fan, either.