1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What has been Morey's biggest mistakes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SugarLandDream8, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Raven

Raven Member

Not convincing Les we need to tank. I'm just not sure what this season gets us besides a first round exit or a mid round lottery pick. Yawn. Oh, and Luis and Kevin will both be a year older.

2. Handles

Handles Member

So true. It's similar to investing. If you don't invest in a stock and it becomes 5x more valuable the next day, you're upset. But if you invest in the stock and it crashes the next day causing you to lose all your money, you're extremely upset. Morey was only being risk averse. Yea we pulled the short stick this time around but it was the right move considering the circumstances.

3. poing

poing Member

Winning player of the week doesn't mean you're a better player than someone else who hasn't. It means you were the player.. of the week.

And yes, if you want to talk about pure stats, both Dragic AND Lowry put up fairly similar stats to what Lin has managed since starting. In fact, Dragic's starting numbers so far are BETTER than Lin, and both Dragic and Lowry play better defense.

And of course even if any of what you said was valid, it still does not prove your claim that "many people in the league" think this.

4. SugarLandDream8

My best friend from college to this day says Portland did not make a mistake by picking Bowie over Jordan and Oden over Durant. It was "we pulled the short stick". That both Bowie and Oden were supposed to be superstars.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

LMAO and here I was expecting some kind of reasonable post about DM's mistakes, here you're just talking nonsense. First of all, cutting Lin wasn't a mistake, that was something everyone would have done in that situation. You were facing the prospect of choosing Dalembert and the only dude without a guaranteed contract who happens to be not even your 3rd, but your 4rth pg, who would you cut? Anybody who says otherwise is just an idiot, plain and simple. Its like buying a house and the next day a tsunami hits and destroys your property, was buying the house a mistake?

In case of mistakes though, I'd say most of DM's mistakes are regarding wing signings:

1. Drafting and trading away Batum for essentially Greene and Dorsey (biggest mistake of his career IMHO).
    2. Drafting that other undersized wing (in C-bud's draft class) instead of a more useful player (i.e. that undersized pf/c in the Spurs, the one without MCLs)
    3. Signing Ariza
    4. Finally, let's address the biggest elephant in the room: drafting Morris over Faried, Brooks, Vucevic and Kawhi Leonard. (2nd biggest mistake IMHO). Yes, yes I know we gotta give Morris time, however considering the other players obtained after 14th I really think Morey missed the boat on that one. There was a rumor out there that said that we could have had the 17th and another pick for the 14th, imagine the possibilities if we did that deal.

So in short, DM's hasn't really made any franchise breaking mistakes, while his wins have ranged from awesome (getting Lowry for Alston, Dragic for Brooks) to middling (Jordan Hill for pick). Unfortunately his "predatory" moves seem to lack cohesion, and in the big picture doesn't really amount to much. The good news if he keeps on making small wins that'll eventually lead to big wins which can eventually lead to titles. As long as I can confidently say the team's talent is upgrading every year then I have no problems with DM the GM.

6. Handles

Handles Member

My friends always ask me if I regret us picking Dream over MJ. I tell them "not a chance in hell." Dream for life

7. SugarLandDream8

Are you sure about that? Lin's stats in the last 23 games puts him among the elites in the NBA. His ast would be top 10 in ast. Pretty much the same as number 6 D-Will, his stls would be #4 in the NBA, his scoring would ranked #16 a head of Rudy Gay.

8. SugarLandDream8

Very good answer and I mean it. Again just seeing what other Rockets fans thought of Morey.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok Bowie over Jordan wasn't a mistake, Bowie performed better than MJ in college, a wing player dominating the league is unheard of before MJ, and bigs lead to championships.

Oden over Durant oth was a big mistake, simply because Portland knew that Oden had significant health issues (one leg shorter than the other, his leg results were bad) and yet they still picked him over KD. Not only that, Portland already had a big (LMA) and everybody knew KD was the BPA. As the old saying goes, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

10. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

I think he's made some mistakes, and he's also made some good decisions. I love Morey sometimes, but I also hate him sometimes. He's a good GM, but sometimes he sucks. Les should fire him after this season, but hire him back next season.

11. poing

poing Member

Yes, I am sure about this.

Lin's assists since starting to date: 8.2 per game.
    Dragic's assists starting: 9.7

Lin's steals per game starting: 2.1
    Dragic's steals per game starting: 1.8

Lin's ppg starting: 19.0
    Dragic's ppg staarting: 15.8
    Gay's pgg this season: 19.2

For fun, stats you didn't mention:

Lin's FG% starting: .418
    Dragic: .515

Lin's FT% starting: .780
    Dragic: .821

Lin's 3P% starting: .367
    Dragic: .405

Lin's TO per game starting: 4.8
    Dragic: 3.3

Not that I would EVER advocate looking at pure conventional stats to determine the value of a player ESPECIALLY in such small sample sizes as Lin's and Dragic's, but I'm pretty sure you're on the wrong side of that argument.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Don't want to sound too homerish but if we picked MJ I doubt we'd win even one ring. MJ in all his awesomeness wouldn't be able to win with crackhead pgs and a pf in crutches.

OTH, if Dream had been drafted by the Bulls i think Hakeem would be considered the GOAT, I mean just look at this lineup:

Hakeem
    Rodman
    Pippen
    Kerr
    Harper
    with
    Kukoc in the bench.

LMAO 10 rings easily.

13. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

1st of all: No one believes Morey made NO mistakes, that is impossible. That said the trades/drafts Morey did in a grand scheme view, are very successful. He is good at evaluating talent, does that mean he never misses? No of course not, but overall he does a good job.

The Lin point is such a massive bother when I read this. Here a few things to consider:
    1) (MOST IMPORTANTLY): Lin would have had NO playing time here. Lin didn't impress in practice to a point where he was demolishing Lowry or Dragic, so it wasn't worth keeping him.

2) Stick Lin in a different system, and who knows if he will succeed. Lin LOVES pick and roll, it is what he ran at Harvard, and it is what he ran almost exclusively (pre Melo) when the Knicks were doing really well. Notice how Melo comes back, and that cools off. It is because Lin has far from a complete game. Maybe he will 1 day, maybe he will become the next Jason Kidd, but at the same time he could just become a Monta Eliis, an overpaid role player, who is living off his hype.

3) 23 games is an incredibly small sample size in the NBA. ESPECIALLY in a lockout shortened season. Wait to see what he looks like next year, or the following year after hours of watching tapes from other coaches and players. If he still puts up these numbers I'd be IMPRESSED.

4) Finally, Lin has these 2 guys, Amare and Melo on his team (not to mention Chandler). Please tell me, who do the Rockets have who can do what those guys can do (aka command double teams, leaving players like Lin open). To me what Lowry and Dragic can do on this all role player team, is very impressive (PERs around 20). I don't think Lin would do any better on this team, and even if he would, we'd have never known, so it doesn't matter.

Read this on the Warriors, at least 1/2 the NBA teams go through this, if not more: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7714701/how-annoy-fan-base-60-easy-steps
    ^ If you read this and want to fire Morey, and grab a random GM like most of the NBA teams do, well I think I'd have to disagree with you.

Other GMs in Morey's class (not sure who is the best/worst, but these GMs all seem to be pretty solid/smart):
    Portland's, Thunder's, Spur's, Miami's (Pat Riley knows how to convince superstars to play for him, I feel that accounts for something). I can't think of any other off the top of my head. That is pretty good company. And yes all these GMs have also made mistakes shockingly enough.

14. SugarLandDream8

Your stats are wrong. First you use 24 games including the one he got his first 30+ mpg game against D-Will where he didn't start but played starter minutes. I stated all his numbers for 24 games including FG % and TO

His FG% is 45.11 FG% his TO is 4.5 TOPG

As I said he would be among the leaders in all major stats categories. All your stats look kind of off and shady like you made them up.

15. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Shumpert is hella good. He's on par with Chandler Parsons on defense but is more athletic and has less offensive game.

16. poing

poing Member

Yeah, I totally make up stats for ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/4299/jeremy-lin
    http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/3423/goran-dragic

Under "As starter" for each player.

17. SugarLandDream8

18. poing

poing Member

With the exception of accidentally writing .418 instead of .458 (which is still lower than Dragic's), the rest is correct.

19. SugarLandDream8

Huge Difference between .418 and .447

Same with TO you didn't even write what the link said.

You just made up some stats and was shaddy

I used 24 games and my numbers are correct to the decimal place

20. SugarLandDream8

TO numbers and I didn't check every stat you just wrote some shady numbers