1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happens if we trade for Jahadi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BuckeyeRocketFan, Aug 19, 2001.

1. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

Before I post this, let me say that I understand that there is little or no real value in what I have done, but I found it interesting none the less so I thought I would share.

I have been playing a season on Playstation IIs NBA Live 2001 (sidenote, PII is awesome and well worth the money, especially if you don't already have a DVD player which it doubles as. My wife and 6 mo old son, who both proved they are the best with this purchase, bought me one for my first father's day) and when the Rice trade went down, I decided to trade for both Rice and Jahadi White and get rid of Anderson and Olajuwan. I wanted to understand what we were getting a little better.

Obviously, it is a year old and interpretation of the game designers, but Rice has been a scoring monster and drills everything within 20 feet. Defensively, Francis is the best player on the PII team but Rice has been average or above average. Obviously it can't take into account the foot injury or anything like that but he has been about what I expected.

More interesting to me though was to see what I got with White. What I got was a relatively slow lumbering 6' 10" rebound magnet who can't shoot outside of 5 feet. Which is something this team really doesn't have. I also got some flexibility on different lineups to match up with the opposition.

The two lineups that have been most effective for me in the game have been Francis, Rice, Taylor, White and Cato against bigger teams and Francis, Mobley, Rice, Taylor and White against smaller teams. The interesting things for me has been how well Taylor runs the floor and how ineffective Mobley typically is.

Now, before you get on me for this, I do know that a game can't take into account a lot of factors, first and foremost, Cato's attitude, but it has been interesting to see how the potential new players might play since I have never seen White and rarely seen Rice.

The other thing that surprised me is how effective Carlos Rogers is in the game. Like Rudy T., I rarely play him, but when I do, he is hugely effective and a very nice player. I still do not understand why we haven't made better use of him and I really hope he latches on somewhere where he will get some playing time.

2. enbehay

enbehay Member

Fantasy is nice, but the truth remains. By trading Walt Williams for Jahidi White the Rockets gain one inch of height and 30 pounds of weight. That's it. I pray we don't do it. If we must trade Walt, do it for someone who can help the team -- in reality.:D

3. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

in the pc version, my frontcourt of kenny thomas and jason collier totally ruled the paint.
    i dont know about the ps2, but live always has probs with the rebounds. your players automatically get the offensive boards but couldn't box out or reach forward for the defensive.

i'm in favor of keeping the current team as it is. i'd rather play cato huge minutes. hakeem's gone and cato has no more excuses. trading for jahidi seems to me like the management admits to the league they messed up with cato's contract before even playing cato for real. and before someone jumps at me saying they did mess up, yeah they did, but we dont really know it for sure, at least not until cato is the first guy up at the center position.

4. Jhicks

Jhicks Member

Jahadi scored 4 pts against shaq

and only 2pts against David Robinson

L.A. Lakers 104, Washington 91
    March 23, 2001

Washington Wizards
    REBOUNDS
    Player POS MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OFF DEF TOT AST PF ST TO BS PTS
    Christian Laettner F 29 3-4 0-0 2-2 1 5 6 5 3 0 0 1 8
    Courtney Alexander F 29 3-9 0-1 1-2 0 0 0 3 1 1 3 0 7
    Jahidi White C 15 1-7 0-0 2-2 1 0 1 0 4 0 0 1 4
    Richard Hamilton G 32 7-14 0-0 9-9 2 2 4 4 1 1 3 0 23
    Hubert Davis G 31 7-13 3-5 0-0 0 2 2 3 2 0 3 0 17
    Popeye Jones 29 3-9 0-1 2-2 3 5 8 2 4 1 0 1 8
    David Vanterpool 26 3-9 0-0 2-2 0 2 2 4 0 1 0 0 8
    Loy Vaught 21 4-6 0-0 0-0 0 5 5 1 4 1 1 0 8
    Laron Profit 14 3-4 0-1 0-1 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 6
    Mike Smith 14 1-3 0-2 0-2 0 2 2 2 0 0 0 0 2

Michael Smith DNP

Mitch Richmond DNP
    TOTAL 240 35-78 3-10 18-22 7 23 30 24 20 6 11 3 91

(44.9) (30.0) (81.8) Team Rebs: 8 Total TO: 11 (16 Pts)

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Jahadi scored 4 pts against shaq

Jahidi White C 15 1-7 0-0 2-2 1 0 1 0 4 0 0 1 4

Did you look at his minutes? That might have something to do with it. :) Also, Steve Francis scored 6 points against Kenny Anderson earlier this year, so I wouldn't put too much stock in a game or two.

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I turn up all the Rocket's talent to the max. Cato is a rebounding monster, EG blocks shots like crazy, Francis is better than Jordan and is hitting 97.4% of his shots, Rice plays stellar defense, Moochie is dominant in every game and Wiz kills everyone with his three-point bombs. I've beaten the Lakers about 25 times in the wc finals now, so it's getting kind of old. But I love watching Steve, Cuttino, Griff, and Mo jump up and down and celebrate after they win the championship. I really wish that the bench and coach would interact, and a digital David Stern would hand out a trophy, but I guess that would be too much. :)

7. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

Everyone has bad games occasionally...anyways points aren't really what a team like the Rockets would need from White. White would provide important rebounding and shot-blocking, while taking up a lot of space in the middle. Any points the Rockets get from White, if they get him, are bonus points.

How about some of these better games: (Sure he had more, but only used games against AD, both O'neals, Deke, Spurs, Blazers, Heat, Ilgauskas, Ratliff, LaFrentz)
    11/4 - 11 rebounds/3 blocks/9 points in 27 mins against Antonio Davis
    11/10 - 13 rebounds/7 blocks/22 points in 39 mins against Jermaine O'neal
    11/11 - 10 rebounds/4 blocks/7 points in 30 mins against Zydrunas Ilgauskas
    11/16 - 6 rebounds/0 blocks/9 points in 13 mins against DRob/TD
    11/21 - 6 rebounds/3 blocks/12 points in 37 mins against Sabonis/Wallace/Davis
    11/28 - 10 rebounds/2 blocks/4 points in 19 mins against Mutombo (Atlanta)
    11/29 - 13 rebounds/0 blocks/10 points in 33 mins against Ratliff (Philly)
    12/3 - 12 rebounds/4 blocks/3 points in 24 mins against Brian Grant
    12/13 - 9 rebounds/1 block/14 points in 21 mins against Ratliff (Philly)
    1/12 - 2 rebounds/0 blocks/2 points in 1 min :) against Ratliff (Philly)
    1/19 - 11 rebounds/1 block/8 points in 13 mins against Antonio Davis
    1/21 - 12 rebounds/0 blocks/10 points in 32 mins against Mutombo (Atlanta)
    1/26 - 6 rebounds/2 blocks/6 points in 21 mins against Mutombo (Atlanta)
    2/3 - 11 rebounds/0 blocks/12 points in 26 mins against Raef LaFrentz
    2/18 - 7 rebounds/1 block/7 points in 17 mins against Raef LaFrentz
    2/24 - 6 rebounds/2 blocks/4 points in 22 mins against Antonio Davis
    2/27 - 6 rebounds/1 block/9 points in 26 mins against Brian Grant
    3/16 - 10 rebounds/3 blocks/5 points in 21 mins against Shaq
    3/27 - 6 rebounds/1 block/17 points in 29 mins against Jermaine O'neal

8. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

I said this somewhere else:
    We get 1 inch and 60 pounds! Big difference...White is 6-9 290 and still mobile. At that size he is an enforcer in the paint for sure. White is young (only 25) and is very effective when he plays getting 8.6 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.6 blocks in just 23.7 minutes a game last season.

9. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I'll be crestfallen. :(

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

"What happens if we trade for Jahidi?"

We make the playoffs.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Isn't the summer over <i>YET</i>!!!???

12. Jhicks

Jhicks Member

I agree with most of what you are saying about Jahadi White. However, I am only interested in how he plays against playoff contenders. I am sure he scored points else where, but that does not count. What counts is against potential playoff teams. 4pts against Shaq is not good, and 2pts against Robinson is not good. I am aware as you pointed out that, players do have bad games. I hope if he comes here, that he have better games against these key players. We also, need for him to score, because if he does not, that is another weakness. Other teams would see that, and double team our key players while he misses open shots. Also, a good offense, in addition to good DEFENSE is the BEST defense.

YOU CAN HAVE A 60 GAME SEASON OF WINS, BUT THAT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU CAN NOT BEAT THE ONE TEAM THAT COST YOU THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

LA LAKERS

CHICAGO BULLS

13. Tmo

Tmo Member

As long as we're talking video games, I created a Tmo player on NBA Live '01 and let me just say that he has played all five positions for the rockets and at superstar level, averaging 19pts., 3.8 rebs., 4.2 assists, and .8 blocks in just three minute quarters! He shoots 38% behind the arc and is quite possibly the greatest player of all time, except of course for my 'Lights Out' character on NBA Street, a 7'7'' 350lbs. shaq humiliator who can do everything better than anyone who has every played. I fear even tmo would pale next to him.

14. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I don't know about anyone else, but a 60 win season would be pretty cool. Even if we didn't win the championship.

15. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Tmo, THAT is funny! :D :D :D