1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happened to Dillon Brooks Game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 11, 2024.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Ok. So are you going to bash FVV who has a career 40.4% FG and last year shot 39.3% FG? Or Jalen Green and his career 42.4% FG and last year 41.6% FG? If you don't want to be a prisoner of the moment, then please don't single out Dillon Brooks and just say everyone on the Rockets not named Sengun should stop shooting.

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Brooks kills your offensive in every way possible, he’s basically reverse jokic. Can’t shoot, can’t drive, can’t dribble, can’t pass, horrible decision maker. He’s basically awful at every part of offense. Brooks has a 108.2 offensive rating this season, FVV by comparison is at 122.5.

Imanimal likes this.
  3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Yeah I'll say that. Nobody on this team should have a green light for mid range shots. Nobody is good enough at it. All these guys, Fvv and Green included should only take 3s and layups. At least FVV is smart enough to know that he should only really attack the basket in transition cause that **** isn't going anywhere. Brooks will slow motion drive and get blocked. Green is young enough to improve but if his numbers are the same in a few years I wouldn't want him shooting either. I'd give Sengun the most FGA on the team for sure.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

The funny thing with cherry picking stats is that it results in lack of common sense. So if a 108 offensive rating means you can't drive, dribble, nor pass, and can't make decisions, does this mean Jalen Green is all of that? Cause he also has a 108 offensive rating this year.

It's so clear to me that people seem to hate on Dillon Brooks because y'all hated the signing and must find ways to believe your initial supposition must be correct. Cause none of the criticisms make sense if you watch all the Rockets games this year.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

You first said Brooks can't dribble, so I brought up his driving stats. Now you say he shouldn't shoot mid-rangers. But only 11% of his shots come from mid-range. Or essentially 1 per game. So you're essentially saying you are getting mad at his 1 mid-range jumper per game. If that's not hate based on feelz, I have no idea what is.

6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

No I'm saying Jalen and FVV don't take middy's cause they're bad at it. My ideal situation is players only doing things that they're good at. I don't want anyone on the team taking middys. I don't want FVV to attack a set defense. I don't want Jabari or Sengun to create off the dribble from the perimeter. Just stick to what you're good at and nothing else. For Brooks the only thing he should do on offense is take wide open 3s cause that's the only thing he's good. Self-awareness and playing within your limitations are very important NBA skills and Dillon is terrible in that department.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

While I admit I disliked the signing at first, he really played well in the first 2 months.....

The thing is he is 28 years old and not getting any younger, he has no business being on a 40 win team, he should have applied to a contender.

I do not have personal feelings for or against him......just want our young players to replace him, that is all.

If there is hate, then obviously that hate is born when watching him play rather than knowing him.

8. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

Where did you read that it only has 1 more guaranteed year?

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Jalen was god awful for most of the season ya, he hasn’t had nearly enough good games to overcome being horrific for 50+ games. I very much didn’t want him because he sucks and it was a horrible contract. He was decent for 2 months but now is back to normal, which is being bad. He was terrible at all those skills his entire career and is still terrible at all those skills

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

It’s fully guaranteed for 3 more years, he’s mixing it up with FVV

11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

You're right I confused it with FVV. He's fully guaranteed for 4 years. It is at least frontloaded though but that's not great overall.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....it's fine - because it's front loaded and we are in the middle of cap smoothing(because of the Kevin Durant/Warriors debacle), he is fairly movable when we are ready to let him go. Unless we happen to have an opportunity come up before then, I imagine we keep him on the roster through next year but try to trade him after the 24/25 season when we start having to pay Jalen/Alpi. He really was meant to be a movable bridge contract to get us out of the cap floor penalty and give our young guys a little more attitude and leadership which he has done well.

lakersuck2 likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

His effort on defense is always there...the offense is...here and there.

Mr.Scary and glimmertwins like this.
  14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

He is not tradeable with that guaranteed contract, so we have him for 3 more years after this season. Good news is he is a legit NBA player and will be an excellent defensive spark off the bench for years to come. He in no way should be starting next year. Amen or Tari should replace him as both are better defensively and Tari is better offensively. We really need an upgrade at Small Forward in the offseason.

15. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

he is still from a #2 grizzlies team with everyone trashing him lol

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He is 100% tradeable with that contract. He’s basically getting paid as a league average starting SF today and his contract is front loaded so he will be something like the 20th-25th highest paid SF after this offseason. He’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but he’s an upgrade as a starter at the SF for about half the league(including us) and is a serviceable rotation player as an insurance policy for their starting SF for the other half.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One of those players Front Offices have at #6 on their list and by the time they circle him they procrastinate until they have another younger option.....or go to the cheaper option.

18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I stand corrected….you are right that he’s tradeable, but let’s be clear that the return will be trash. At his age with a declining game and defense that is becoming known as low iq and low rebounding (J Green avgs almost twice as many rebounds per game) and let’s be kind and say at an “elevated” salary with literally nothing to add offensively for most games….expect a Jeremy Lin type trade where we have to add a future first to make it work. I say we just keep him as a backup and let him thrive in that type of role with the likes of Holliday and Whitmore next season.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will say a lot of us noticed this - I think it really started when he started getting techs and tossed from games for smallest stuff he then played timid

meh likes this.