1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does your significant other think of Clutchcity.net?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by haven, Aug 3, 2001.

1. haven

haven Member

My girlfriend is surprisingly cool about it. That's probably because she's a sports fan herself. Unfortunately, she's a Jazz fan... and she reminds me of that horrible '97 series often :(. She likes football more than basketball, though, and she likes the same football teams.

She thinks that clutchcity.net is amusing, more than anything else. Although she actually does read oeilpere's posts. She won't deign to surf herself; I have to inform her of them.

And I get a lot of really odd looks when I start cracking up at an Achebe or rockHEAD post. I usually just dig myself deeper when I try to explain. She thinks I'm way too familiar with a bunch of internet crazies (no offence Achebe and rH).

I'm actually mentioning this now because she found out about the sim league yesterday... and she started laughing uncontrollably! Started choking before she stopped :(. Then just smiled and said, "well, I guess it's better than p*rn." Argh! She's also threatening to tell anybody about my sim league if I'm taking myself too seriously ;).

Any similar cases? We have to train them somehow;).

2. hitman21

hitman21 Member

Sim league? Good for you man. Just consider yourself lucky that your girlfriend even has an interest in sports.

3. madplaya

madplaya Member

sim legue is betta than p*rn???? you woman aint seen good p*rn mebbe.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

It's funny how women change, when I met sweetie it was me and her making eye contact at a Rocket playoff game with her wearing Rockets shirts and all...Now it's like...Hunny look at the news, Hakeem is gone!..."About time...let me go back to sleep!"
    or ...."Get off the damn internet and come to bed!"

Man, why do the women change like this?

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

My wife constantly says things like "I didn't marry clutchcity.net", etc. She thinks I'm a dork for hanging out here so much.

Our biggest 'fights' occur when she and I are in the midst of talking and I try to squeeze reading a post in at the same time. The same question: "are you listening to me" (usually w/ a nice descriptor such as 'dork', '*******', 'schmuck', man I love this woman). I then get quizzed on what we were talking about. Sometimes I pull it off, others... (this makes me sound inherently evil, but trust me when I say that my wife and I talk all of the time, I have to be able to grunt from time to time and not really pay attention).

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Achebe, man! You better stop talking about me and my wife like that!

:D

Its exactly the same in our house.

In fact, I got this comment the other day!

"You are starting to spend more time on that stupid board than you do with your friends!"

7. TraJ

TraJ Member

My wife is pretty tolerant. But , yes, she thinks I'm a dork for visiting the site so much. I do get the occasional, "Are you coming to bed?" Sometimes she lets me ramble about things, like the Rockets managing to get the guy who could have gone number one in the draft this year. I didn't say anything to her about the Hakeem situation, however, the alarm clock did that. The sports news just happened to be on and I got to wake up that morning with a reminder that Olajuwon was leaving. I said, "Did you hear that? Hakeem is leaving the Rockets." She said, "Hmmm" and went back to sleep after hitting the snooze button.

8. JJ

JJ Member

In the immortal words of Chris Rock: "Men want 3 things from a woman: Feed me, fu*k me, shut the fu*k up!"

9. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

My wife just hates all the time I spend on the comp regardless if it's cc.net or any other place....

She loathes basketball season and game nights, cause where am i? In cc.net chat!! Enjoying the game with a bunch of die-hard Rocket fans!

I tell her, "Hey, at least you know EXACTLY where I'm at!" I'm in my computer room, not out at some Gold Club getting hummers in a dark room! I mean she should be grateful I'm at home.

Her reply, "you don't spend enough time with me"
    oh yeah? we're freakin' married, unless something happens, we'll be together for a long time! Trust me people, I spend time with her. I think she can be selfish sometimes.. I mean, hey, do I have to be surgically attached to her at all times? I don't think so.

argh...
    rH

#9 rockHEAD, Aug 3, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2001
  10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

LOL! I've been getting that lately as well. My reply has merely been "most of my friends are either republicans or republican mormons, I probably agree with some of the guys on this site more than I do with my 'friends'".

Her reply after that? "GO OUTSIDE YOU DUMBASS". :D

Geez, now I'm starting to feel guilty. I think I will give this 'outside' thing a chance for a while.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

she just laughs at me, and says

"chat.chat.chat."

I'm lucky that she loooves to talk on the phone. chat.chat.chat. She chats and chats. But boy, do I get in trouble if I don't go give her a big kiss when she comes home.

I usually stand up now when she even comes into the computer room. Another fortunate thing is she used to do ballroom dance competitions and made me go to them. They last for 10-12 hrs in a hotel convention room. Guys, these things are swim meets, where you wait 2 hours for a 5 minute event, then wait another 2 hours. I am not kidding! A man cannot sit for that long without a beer. I've paid my dues.

Another fortunate thing is one of her best friends, another of her long line of ballroom dance partners, runs the clutchcity of Texas ballroom bbs's. He is the Clutch of ballroom dancing....lol. And yet another one is a champion amateur in Houston and is on the board of USABDA, and helps with the printed newsletter.

Boy are they dorky. You think we are bad. I mean, what's less dorky, describing 2-shakes and trade rumors or the box step and dancer gossip (like in the movie Strickly Ballroom). lol

Anyhow, I also have a huge Ace card. <b>Utility!!</b> heyschweetie has a 4 letter first name.....AND SHE OWNS THE DOMAIN for it. This is one schmart and opportunistic webmistress. She got it in early 1995. Anyhow, we kept bouncing from host to host since then, but now finally I get to make sure our mail doesn't crash.

So, I can always pull the Ace card, "But schweetie, didn't this bbs land us a cheap permanent host."

#11 heypartner, Aug 3, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2001
  12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

God, this is hilarious. rockHEAD, mc mark, Achebe - we all have similar experiences.

My wife doesn't care for sports. She calls this board "my imaginary friends" in jest! :)

She is VERY patient and VERY tolerant because I AM a dork when it comes to this board. I gotta give it to her for that because I probably wouldn't be as patient if she was as crazy about something like this board and the Rockets as I am. :)

13. THE BREESE

THE BREESE Member

depending on how you look at it im lucky that i only have my parents to bother me about it

14. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hmmm, no comment.

Seriously, though...yeah, my wife hates me. She does not understand that basketball is the only true sport in the world.

She also, for some reason, does not want to hear about basketball multiple times during the day.

Often, If I mention basketball or this site, her eyes glaze over and she goes to her "peaceful place" where me and my jibber jabber are not welcome.

She thinks that everyone on the board is a big freak and that I am guilty by association.

Sometimes, she likes to get dramatic and shout, "You are having an affair with the BBS!" and run into the bedroom and pull the covers up over her head.

It got worse since we have been in Atlanta because that is when I first used the chat stuff for games, drafts, and boredom. Sometimes, I would be chatting during a game and she would suddenly start shouting from the bedroom (where she is trying to sleep) about not having a husband anymore.

If she gets bored at work, she will come to the BBS, but that only confirms her thoughts about us all being a bunch of losers.

Oh well, we make it somehow. If I ever had to, I could give it up for her...I mean it. Really, I could. Easy. You don't believe me? Seriously...

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Usually the first thing I do after having sex (after I wash up) is read the bbs. Then I go to sleep on my side of the bed. :D I've pissed off some chicks with cc.net in my day. I've been called a loser, dork, etc.

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Man, these posts are funny!

17. rockHEAD

wow... sex and then the BBS...
    at least i'm getting one of those things!

rH

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Just a thought...

We ought to start a forum on the BBS and call it ClutchCity Widows (my wife's title :) ) for the significant others of those of us addicted to the BBS. It could be a support group of sorts.

Then again, maybe not. I'm not sure I want my wife telling everyone else what a dork I am. :D

19. haven

haven Member

Jeff: Great idea! Their "widowhood" status could be determined by the # of posts each of us have been geeky enough to accrue ;).

Yours and Heypartner's widows would be rivals for the title of web mistress :p.

20. rockHEAD

yea.. maybe not, just what I need the wife reading my BBS posts...

rH