1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What can Titans pay for Drew Henson?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by giddyup, Apr 29, 2003.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I've heard nothing about the fragile ego McNair. He didn't seem to suffer with a proven veteran, Neil O'Donnell, backing him up. After coming off his three best pro seasons, I doubt he will be threatened by a pure rookie showing up.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

NO'D wouldn't affect my id either, and I cannot throw long (or short).

3. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I find it comical that until the draft there was no talk about Drew Henson's poor performance in baseball and now the press is saying that he should make the jump.

I'm pretty sure that if he did decide to go to the NFL the Texans would be happy with just a #1 for him. Even the Titans, which would be a rather crappy #1 since the Titans tend to be a playoff team (although not a SB contender).

I still think Green Bay would be better for him. They need a young arm, he's played in cold weather, and Favre would be a great tutor. Plus do the Texans really want to trade a franchise QB who they would have drafted themselves a year ago to a division rival?

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The press has been on Drew Henson's baseball performance for the past year. The Yankees paid him a huge amount of money because they thought he was their third baseman of the future.

#24 pgabriel, Apr 30, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2003
  5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sure there was. There were even reams written about who would gamble a late pick for him.

Now that he is 'ours' for a year, can he be turned into an asset?

Sick thought: what if George bought the Giants and moved DH from DH'ing to QB'ing the Giants? Just kidding, just kidding.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

The press has either backed him into a corner, which I fear, or just maybe it has given him a little seed of doubt.

7. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

I heard Casserly say on TV that he would be content to get a 3rd Round pick out of the possible trade for Henson... I was like, Charlie, dude, what is the point unless we are getting at least a 1st rounder to take this gamble. He never answered back because I was talking to the TV...

8. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I'm in Columbus where's he's playing and he is horrible. If it was for the huge contract he would have been cut long ago. Bad glove, strikes out every 3rd at bat.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

People who expect a 1st rounder for him, even if he decides he wants to play, are deluding themselves. Teams are usually pretty damn stingy with their draft picks, esp when its not draft day and they're jockeying for the right position to get certain players. Look at friggin Bledsoe and Faulk, 2 proven players, whose respective teams had trouble getting a 1st rounder for.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely.

And taking a chance on parlaying a 6th rounder(who has a small chance of making the team) into a 3rd or 2nd rounder is a gamble worth taking, imo.

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Peerless Price and Laveranues Coles each went for a #1 draft pick this past year. Are they THAT good?

11. giddyup

Mel Kiper says that the Texans would have taken Henson over Carr had they both been in last year's draft? Do you think his chance of making some team is really that small?

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I meant that had they not taken the gamble on Henson, chances are they wouldv'e picked someone who wouldn't have panned out.

And I doubt Kiper said w/o a doubt they wouldve taken him over carr, just that they were considering it.

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

No, they aren't, but at least they've proven themselves in the NFL.

Thats one of the reasons I don't think its impossible. But cmon, expecting a #1 if he decides to play? I think thats getting your hopes a wee high. A number 3 or even a 2 yeah.

They would be extremely lucky to get a late number 1, let alone a good reciever like Mason.

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I'm not crazy enough to think we could get a #1 for him, but ANYTHING better than a 6th round pick (which was used on Henson) is a win for me.

15. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

How can Kiper judge talent of a guy who started 8 career college games?
    I suppose he already knows who the top pick from the 2010 draft will be as well.

16. giddyup

Sorry, I misunderstood what you said.... but Kiper did make that statement flatly. The reality is that Henson would have been a Top 5 pick.