1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What can Biden do to unite the country vs. divide?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wizkid83, Nov 9, 2020.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I made the following thread 4 years ago.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.ph...ump-do-to-unite-the-country-vs-divide.279898/

Four years later, I feel like we're now more divided instead. I am holding Joe more accountable to unite us because while Trump ran as a instigator, Joe ran as the President for all Americans. I believe Joe will do more in that regard, but because that was what he ran as, I will also hold him to a higher standard.

Here are what I want to see from Biden:

• Tax, execute the tax plan that raise on the super top earners BUT do not allow the tax increases from Trump's tax cut to go in for the actual middle class. Keep the corporate tax rate as is (let's face it, higher tax just holding more profit offshore).
    • Rejoin Paris climate agreement - but also follow through on creating the jobs from green energy transition. Also, create those jobs in the states/area that's been "left behind" the last few years of globalization. Rural America do need more help... help them. Execute on building infrastructure, create more blue collar jobs.
    • Law enforcement - follow through on supporting blue but at the same time holding them accountable. Changes need to happen, but also needs to be fair. It's hard to do, but the presidency is not supposed to be easy.
    • Make internet more easier and more affordable. Target both the inner city low income and the underserved rural areas. Help both, deliberately. Bring back net neutrality.
    • Post office, please keep it running but....... address point of origin shipping rates to make it more favor for some overseas to ship something than some one from a state over.
    • Tariffs, take a look to see if it's actually being paid by US consumers or if the lack of CPI increase and Chinese currency devaluation means the Tariffs are actually not paid by the American people.
      • Actually a free market guy, so not a fan of tariffs, but the decision should be made based on data
    • Revamp welfare. It should be more of a gradual change in benefits instead of step-wise function. It's dumb policy if people would not take jobs/pay increase as it would be income-negative due to losing benefits. But at the same time, state that if you're in a time of need, the country is there for you.
    • Do not get rid of more filibuster, bring the previous ones back. Do not expand the justice
      • Could change my mind if I feel the current justice are too political
      • I don't like the right lean of Kavanaugh and Gorsuch but found at least most of their decisions are based on how they interpreting the laws vs. wanting to advance a political agenda. If that changes than I support expanding justice seas (assuming Dems even get the right amount of votes.

daywalker02, JayGoogle and RayRay10 like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That's an interesting idea. So, let's say I apply for a job that requires travel. During the interview, I mention all my great sales figures from other jobs, at various sites around the US. Then they offer me the job, and I take the job, but I refuse to travel. "I never said I would travel in the interview!"

I just think it's weird to judge presidents more on what they promise than what the job of our chief executive actually is. And you're not alone in doing that, of course. But I will say it's especially weird for a POTUS who wins less than 50% of the nation's vote. But whatev.

I'll just be glad if we still have a democracy for Joe to inhabit. Republicans, appointments and legislatures (and maybe SCROTUS judges) will have to make that choice. Then, yes, let's judge the hell out of Joe.

Rashmon, FranchiseBlade, Nook and 3 others like this.
  3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Well, I think the POTUS job have a wide scope and there's many things in the job to look for, and that was just one piece of it.
    I think it's more like interviewing a recent Stats PHD for a data scientist position. During the interview they said they're also really good at Python as well as showing projects where they used Pythons while in school.

After hiring them, you see that they can code Python, maybe ok to get by, but their strength is really their statistical background. They bring value to the role but not exactly in the way you'd thought.

#3 wizkid83, Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

:D

Well, if nothing else, this thread has brought me an image of Trump and Biden sitting together in an undergraduate computer lab trying to code Python. Joe is squinting and saying "come on, man" to the screen. Trump is looking over trying to see what Biden has typed so far.

ROCKSS, mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  5. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...come on, B-Bob.

...you know that the Donald would just hire somebody to sit next to Uncle Joe and not learn to code Python for him...;)

FranchiseBlade, RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. biina

biina Member

Send everyone that thinks Trump deserved a second term to Russia

8. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...Dasvidaniya.;)

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

OP @wizkid83 when you posted something similar 4 years ago, has Hillary conceded yet?

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

All good ideas, some of them are great but....

There is nothing Biden can do. The other side wants something different for America and it isn't democracy. The sane Republicans, bless their hearts, can do little as the Trump rot infects millions of their party. They will NEVER accept Biden.

Even if Biden were to usher in a Golden Age they would never accept it. Most of these Trumpers will never forgive Joe for dethroning their king and any bill passed under Biden (just like Obama) will be fought with every inch of their lives, just like they do the ACA EVEN THOUGH THEY LIKE THE ACA...

There is no curing that part of the party. Sure, I've seen some ex-trumpers, but there's not enough of them. Biden has to have some way to calm these people down and I'm not sure that can be done. I would say Trump humiliating himself would do it but nope. Trump lying to them? Nope. There is nothing this man can do that will lose their diehard religious support.

It is a cult, I'm afraid. You just tide the water and hope more information slowly kills it off.

RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  11. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

As long as he does the opposite of Trump, should be fine.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Call out the far left and naziesqe calls to make lists.

Also he isn't the president elect in any official sense.

13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Question. Was Trump president elect the day after election night in 2016?

15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I hope I am wrong but I don't thing the GOP will allow him to do anything meaningful, they will not accept him and the GOP will be trumpified for 4 years until orange man comes back to run in 2024 all the while pumping his cult that the Dems are the devil and whatever good Joe has done he will repeal it on day one.............I can only hope he gets charged with something and is not allowed to run in 2024

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What country? We're about to become a Divided States with two different Presidents and two different realities. 70 million Americans are willingly submitting themselves to dictatorship rule from Trump. Folks we are about to experience the end of the United States as we know it.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure there are policy things Joe can do to help, but the biggest help will be his ability to speak as an adult and have an idea what he's talking about. Just the way he carries himself and goes about conducting his business which will get more coverage in the media since he's the president and not having the president with the same stage to put out his divisive messages will be the largest thing that will help bring about less division.

If I were Joe, I would wait on student debt. He should do it, but I wouldn't do it in the first 100 days. That issue is easy to label as not making people pay their share which seems to be a big deal amongst Trump supporters unless you are talking about all of the subsidies Trump gave out. But businesses shouldn't have to pay their share only individuals to a lot of folks it seems.

I would start with making sure kids entering our nation aren't put in cages separate from their families. He needs to highlight that. Most people in the nation are in favor of that. While doing that also budget in the placement of more judges and workers to help process those that are here so that there is less of a backlog. Publicize that as well. Give an increase to Border Patrol and highlight that in conferences. It will show him being humane but also highlight that he isn't the open border proponent folks think that he is.

He's already off to a good start with his Covid-19 plan. Keep that up.

Infrastructure plan and highlighting how it provides jobs and makes the lives of all of us better.

I mentioned before that the government should put in a major Broadband for all plan. That will provide jobs including higher paying jobs. It addresses inner cities and rural areas the most. Those are the people who helped elect Joe Biden and people that have felt like they haven't been listened to and were Trump supporters. It helps businesses that use online components, and it helps level the playing field. The added jobs and help businesses will receive from it means more money flowing into the economy which would help other businesses, restaurants, etc. This isn't something Biden is talking about doing, but it is something I would love to see done. Also it isn't something Trumpsters have a plan to attack and try to mislabel. All good things for doing something that will unify the country.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That would pretty much make college kids democrats for life. That's one way to buy votes.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I realized it was the end of the world when some liberal friends on facebook was b****ing this tweet from Katy Perry, talking about white privilege. This friend is as white as can be. She implied that she wanted to cancel family members out of her life because of political disagreements.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Add 20 states, dissolve the senate and rebalance the courts

RayRay10 and CometsWin like this.